DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JULY 2022 - THREAD 2

Totally forgot Grand Slam tix went on sale today, so i had to grab a couple cheap seats behind the stage cause I was 90 mins late - still, we'll be in the building, and if they use the new stage from the LA Forum show we'll have an even better view than anticipated. Hope I get to meet some of you this year!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Totally forgot Grand Slam tix went on sale today, so i had to grab a couple cheap seats behind the stage cause I was 90 mins late - still, we'll be in the building, and if they use the new stage from the LA Forum show we'll have an even better view than anticipated. Hope I get to meet some of you this year!

Enjoy, my friend!

Good luck to @NikoBaltimore and @WholeFnMachine who were there at AEW Grand Slam Dynamite 2021. Omega/Danielson was *****, my 2021 MOTY and still my #1 match in AEW history. Also the best Sting/Darby Allin match vs. #FTR.

• Thanks 3

Talking with @StuntmanCrowley last week about how Darby Allin vs. Miro, AEW Dynamite on the 12th May 2021 is underrated got me thinking about more AEW matches like that. These like Allin/Miro need talking up more:

• Chris Jericho vs. Kenny Omega. AEW Double or Nothing 2019.
  • PAC vs. Kenny Omega. AEW All Out 2019.
  • Jon Moxley vs. Mr. Brodie Lee. AEW Double or Nothing 2020.
  • Cody vs. Eddie Kingston. AEW Dynamite, 22nd July 2020.
  • Cody vs. Mr Brodie Lee. AEW Dynamite, 22nd August 2020. One of the best squash matches ever.
  • Mr. Brodie Lee vs. Dustin Rhodes. AEW Dynamite, 9th September 2020.
  • Jon Moxley vs. Eddie Kingston. AEW Full Gear 2020.
  • Darby Allin vs. Brian Cage. Dynamite, 13th January 2021.
  • Darby Allin/Sting vs. Brian Cage/Ricky Starks. AEW Revolution 2021
  • Darby Allin/Sting vs. Scorpio Sky/Ethan Page. AEW Double or Nothing 2021.
  • Jon Moxley vs. Lance Archer. AEW Dynamite, 21st July 2021.
  • Kenny Omega vs. Christian Cage. AEW Rampage, 13th August 2021. Much better than the rematch at AEW All Out 2021.
  • CM Punk vs. Darby Allin. AEW All Out 2021.
  • Darby Allin/Sting vs. Dax Harwood/Cash Wheeler. AEW Dynamite, 22nd September 2021.
  • Adam Page vs. Lance Archer. AEW Dynamite, 9th February 2022.
  • Adam Page vs. Konosuke Takeshita. AEW Dynamite, 18th May 2022.
Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Enjoy, my friend!

Good luck to @NikoBaltimore and @WholeFnMachine who were there at AEW Grand Slam Dynamite 2021. Omega/Danielson was *****, my 2021 MOTY and still my #1 match in AEW history. Also the best Sting/Darby Allin match vs. #FTR.

I was looking forward to it until my wife wanted to take a week off for her 40th birthday.  So with her taking off from from 9/19-9/26 Grand Slam is out for me.  But thanks though.  And my point will always stand that if you're able to go to Grand Slam PLEASE do it.  The experience/stadium atmosphere was nothing like I've seen/felt before and the matches will rule.  I mean who would think a fucking wrestling match would make me practice deep mindfulness yet before, during especially and after it got me good.  And bear in mind I drove like a dumbass on shitty brakes from Maryland to Queens and back and even though they fully crapped out when I pulled up home it was worth the risk.  Of course I got them fixed right away. 

I am hoping though to find out information on how to get VIP-type access if they do that.  I figure with my 40th coming in December I'll want to peek around and see what's possible for that.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 7/21/2022 at 12:10 PM, HarryArchieGus said:

Love Big Keith and Swerve, but where does 'Swerve in our Glory' rank amongst the worst team names? AEW also offers 'Proud N Powerful' and 'The Gates of Agony'. 

I'm glad they abandoned the name "Proud and Powerful" because it sounds like one of those pandering ad campaigns Ivory trots out every few months.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, NikoBaltimore said:

I was looking forward to it until my wife wanted to take a week off for her 40th birthday.  So with her taking off from from 9/19-9/26 Grand Slam is out for me.  But thanks though.

I am hoping though to find out information on how to get VIP-type access if they do that.  I figure with my 40th coming in December I'll want to peek around and see what's possible for that.

Sorry you'll be missing it. I knew you were turning 40 this year, didn't know about your wife. Cool you'll both be 40! Love to you both, my friend xxx.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, The Natural said:

If you had told me at the start of the year that my favorite wrestler was going to be a Japanese guy obsessed with Cinnabon and other American fast food, I would have said "hell yeah!" Lard Lad fan club VP here!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

Enjoy, my friend!

All the way up in the 300s but I got tickets!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/21/2022 at 7:25 AM, Log said:

Cornette is just the equivalent of the sports talking head that says shit like, "Steph Curry actually sucks at basketball!!!" to get clicks/views/listeners/whatever. He's going to say some obviously stupid shit to get people to listen and that's it.

So he's wrestling's Skip Bayless

On 7/21/2022 at 5:37 PM, Go2Sleep said:

Where has Buddy Matthews been lately?

Pretty sure I remember hearing he had a shoulder injury he was dealing with

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

One of the best signings in AEW history.

The Kingston debut is one of the few times my hardcore nerdom made me show this to multiple people. I was at a bbq soon after this and I showed that promo to everyone there. It was a hit, but maybe they were just hungry for my Ribs.

• Like 4

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
52 minutes ago, Octopus said:

It was a hit, but maybe they were just hungry for my Ribs.

Thankfully you escaped from those cannibals before they got you!

15 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

So he's wrestling's Skip Bayless

For a guy who actually railed on Phil Mushnick, he is basically the new Phil Mushnick. However, not the ragging on WWE aspect but how everything was much better decades and decades ago. I accidently read one of Mushnick's pieces because I came across it due to him talking  about the recent allegations on Vince. In the same piece, he's discussing the MLB ASG and this dude cannot escape the 1950s and 1960s. 

Cornette's gone the same way with wrestling. What sucks is Mushnick is largely an outsider. Cornette's been in the wrestling business going back to selling pictures as a kid at the Louisville Gardens (or was it the Cincinnati Gardens? Either way, point still stands). I get a lot of his criticisms and some are very valid, but I don't get a guy with that much clout sowing poison pills into the current wrestling landscape. His podcast following will satisfy him now, but in the end, he's going to be looked at as he bitter old guy who couldn't take the stick out of his ass and not Jim Cornette the fantastic promo and all around wrestling historian. He shouldn't want his legacy to end up as the former.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

His podcast following will satisfy him now, but in the end, he's going to be looked at as the bitter old guy who couldn't take the stick out of his ass and not Jim Cornette the fantastic promo and all around wrestling historian. He shouldn't want his legacy to end up as the former.

I think it's kind of a chicken and the egg issue with his podcast crowd too. This is not the place to get into how divisive party lines have become in America in the last decade, especially since Trump, but whenever I read a Cornette comments thread I can't help but think his acolytes are less invested in old school wrestling and more just like that his platforms are the platforms where they're still allowed to be openly racist, sexist, homophobic, etc. In short, I think Cornette's problems extend way beyond his views on actual wrestling styles. 

• Like 6

William Regal's pod and perspective feels like the antitode to the prevalent shock'n'awe of click bait buffonery. Tho, that might only be for ppl not fully addicted to their micro-computer devices with an insatiable thirst for social-media-drama. This board sometimes serves as a reminder of my own ongoing recovery.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3

His podcast is amazing, it's just such a shame that because of the way his mind works you listen to him for 30 minutes to get 2 minutes of actual content ?. Badly needs an editor or someone better at helping him land the plane.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Leonidas said:

His podcast is amazing, it's just such a shame that because of the way his mind works you listen to him for 30 minutes to get 2 minutes of actual content ?. Badly needs an editor or someone better at helping him land the plane.

Mostly agree, but some of those sidebars lead to the best parts.