DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JULY 2022 - THREAD 2

2 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Hang on every word spoken by folks four years younger though.

I’m secure enough to admit I’m a totally unprincipled hypocrite, so I hope in four years I’m still reading your stream of consciousness single paragraph AEW rules the motherfudging world posts. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I don’t take anything people Cornette’s age say seriously and neither should anyone else. 

Ha, I wonder how long before these flippant Ageist remarks are looked back upon as badly as some of the other discriminatory reasons for belittling somebody. Imagine what Ageist comments will mean to the particpant ribbon generation!? Further, is there any reason to care enough to remark on anything delusuonal salty Jim Cornette says at this point? Is it not clear what an embarrassment he's become or has always been?   

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Ha, I wonder how long before these flippant Ageist remarks are looked back upon as badly as some of the other discriminatory reasons for belittling somebody. 

The good news is they’re doing such a bang up job in the positions of power they refuse to give up that a lot of us won’t be around to look back.

• Like 7

Just now, (BP) said:

The good news is they’re doing such a bang up job in the positions of power they refuse to give up that a lot of us won’t be around to look back.

Fair enough calculation of our leaders, but you are aware that every generation says this?

1 minute ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Love Big Keith and Swerve, but where does 'Swerve in our Glory' rank amongst the worst team names? AEW also offers 'Proud N Powerful' and 'The Gates of Agony'. 

Gates Of Agony is fucking AWESOME.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Gates Of Agony is fucking AWESOME.

Well, I do appreciate your veteran perspective. And as a fan of your reviews which I wholeheartedly agree with 96.8% of the time it is nice to see there's something I disagree with from time to time. I suppose not every team can be named as well as the SST! Or Miracle Violence Connection.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

The real question here is whether Moxley is the best wrestler in the world right now, and I think he is. And not because of how much blood he spills. 

Well, maybe too, but that's besides the point. 

He was the greatest last night, that's for sure.

• Like 1

Are we just talking form in the last few months? If so, then probably yeah, but he's been given a tonne of opportunities to hit it out of the park. He's hit almost all of them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shartnado said:

Has there been a money player like Konosuke T-Cinnabon anywhere in the past? I mean, Cena, but other than that? Sting? Luger? Young Windham?

Counterpoint: I wonder if JD Drake was able to rein him in and focus him for a good match on Elevation. Mox was. Kingston and Page didn’t.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Counterpoint: I wonder if JD Drake was able to rein him in and focus him for a good match on Elevation.

Point taken, but Drake is spectacular, so it would be no surprise.

Like Tully vs Luger or Arn vs Sting or vice versa

Edited by Shartnado
You are correct

4 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I wonder if JD Drake was able to rein him in and focus him for a good match on Elevation.

If Drake doesn’t get up and hit a power move two seconds after getting dropped on his head that’s half the battle. 

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
6 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Fair enough calculation of our leaders, but you are aware that every generation says this?

We always romanticize the times in which we live while we're young, to the point where we try to recreate it when the utility of those times is far gone. At that point, it's up to the generation that follows us to knock us back to our senses and remind us that we're not 22 anymore.

This is why I never took up snowboarding.

18 hours ago, Dog said:

I know it's pretty much pointless to talk about Jim Cornette, but I feel his "Moxley is the worst wrestler in the world" stance needs to be addressed. Because in all honesty, Moxley might be the BEST wrestler in the world right now, and I say that not even being predisposed to like his style. He actually looks like he's in a fight, is indomitable, and will do anything to win. He prefers to brawl but will grapple and look credible doing it when he needs to control his opponent. Everyone comes out better after facing Moxley, even in defeat. Yuta wouldn't even be a thing if not for him.

So if we accept that premise, we're left with two options about Cornette. Well, maybe three.

1) His current persona really is an act for clicks and listens, because he's too smart to the business to believe what he's saying, and knows saying the absolute opposite of the truth will get hate traffic.

2) The Emperor has had no clothes this whole time, and Cornette is actually a complete wrestling doofus whose historical success is due to some savant-like qualities, or simply his ability to speak convincingly enough that you don't realize it's all hollow.

3) He did have a good wrestling mind at one point, but dementia or other deterioration of cognitive function has eroded that. This seems to be the least likely scenario.

What do you think?

1. plus kinda 3. I think he's still sharp but like a lot of older folks stuck in his ways

10 hours ago, Casey said:

I mean, grain of salt here because wrestlers lie, but I'm pretty sure the Young Bucks have said exactly this. But it was more along the lines of specifically about them when they mentioned it, and how Cornette is just working and has brought up the idea of doing business with them based off his constant bashing. I think this was in a shoot interview (maybe their book? I can't remember) but it was pre-AEW I know that much. They talked about seeing him backstage at some shows or conventions or something and he'd always bring it up.

I think that ship definitely has sailed though. Maybe because of what he's said in the three years since AEW has formed, or maybe he's saying it because they rejected his angling, but yeah. I think once you accuse Kenny Omega of liking little Japanese girls and saying Hikaru Shida slept her way to an AEW title win (or was it Riho he said that about?) you're probably persona non grata in AEW.

I think the story (from Cornette's side) is he saw them backstage at a show and sarcastically said "Hi bucks we've got the only angle in wrestling anyone believes anymore"

I also agree with people who like Mox cause hes matches feel like a real fight and a struggle

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gordlow said:

Australia

Which KILLED me because the night he wrestled back in our old stoping ground of South East Melbourne was also the night of my best friend's birthday party, for which we went to the Harlem Globetrotters game.

I would have loved to see Buddy live again and scream PCW chants at him haha

• Like 3