DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JULY 2022 - THREAD 2

Disinterested JR glibly putting down his iPad, closes the browser window on Anna Jay's Instagram, and deadpan reading "itswednesdaynightandyouknowwhatthatmeans" off the prompter, before turning his back on the hard camera to open a bottle of Jack Daniels would be the best way to start the show possible with the hand they've been given.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Dog said:

Ross also throws an "and" in there. And he shouldn't be overly excited; Brodie used periods, not exclamation points.

But I'm pedantic. ?

My brain wants to throw "and" in there too, and I'm half his age - I'm not shy about dogging on J.R. (and often feel tremendous guilt after doing so) but I'm sympathetic to this one

49 minutes ago, JLowe said:

My biggest complaint with the new JR usage is having to hear that damned Boomer Sooner song in the middle of my stories.

Trophied for "my stories." My secret five-year-plan is to become a stay at home dad doing the family laundry and washing my hair to an episode of Dark Elevation in the middle of the day.

• Like 3

On 7/18/2022 at 1:50 AM, BrianS81177 said:

JR is 70. I highly doubt he knows how to close anything on an Ipad.

He needs to close Twitter or at least have someone make him a burner account. He was tweeting today about how hot Natalya and her sister are when Nattie posted a thirst trap pic of the two of them.

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

He needs to close Twitter or at least have someone make him a burner account. He was tweeting today about how hot Natalya and her sister are when Nattie posted a thirst trap pic of the two of them.

To be fair, most comments under thirst trap images are creepy old dudes.

And Jim's tweet was standard creepy (and I mean creepy) old man stuff.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 9:56 AM, JLowe said:

My biggest complaint with the new JR usage is having to hear that damned Boomer Sooner song in the middle of my stories.

Every single time I hear it, I'm waiting for it to segue in the MY ASS song.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, thank goodness.  Apparently in a Twitch chat he said if rehab didn't go as planned he would need to consider retirement.  So thankfully that seems to have worked out.  For as much grief as he gets at times I really missed seeing him on the shows.

• Like 2

I know it's pretty much pointless to talk about Jim Cornette, but I feel his "Moxley is the worst wrestler in the world" stance needs to be addressed. Because in all honesty, Moxley might be the BEST wrestler in the world right now, and I say that not even being predisposed to like his style. He actually looks like he's in a fight, is indomitable, and will do anything to win. He prefers to brawl but will grapple and look credible doing it when he needs to control his opponent. Everyone comes out better after facing Moxley, even in defeat. Yuta wouldn't even be a thing if not for him.

So if we accept that premise, we're left with two options about Cornette. Well, maybe three.

1) His current persona really is an act for clicks and listens, because he's too smart to the business to believe what he's saying, and knows saying the absolute opposite of the truth will get hate traffic.

2) The Emperor has had no clothes this whole time, and Cornette is actually a complete wrestling doofus whose historical success is due to some savant-like qualities, or simply his ability to speak convincingly enough that you don't realize it's all hollow.

3) He did have a good wrestling mind at one point, but dementia or other deterioration of cognitive function has eroded that. This seems to be the least likely scenario.

What do you think?

• Like 7

Mostly the first one with a couple of dashes of option two. Can't say anything about the third option because that would require actually listening to the guy.

You're absolutely right though, Moxley is just on a whole different level at the moment and seems custom-made for old school fans and new school alike.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dog said:

I know it's pretty much pointless to talk about Jim Cornette, but I feel his "Moxley is the worst wrestler in the world" stance needs to be addressed. Because in all honesty, Moxley might be the BEST wrestler in the world right now, and I say that not even being predisposed to like his style. He actually looks like he's in a fight, is indomitable, and will do anything to win. He prefers to brawl but will grapple and look credible doing it when he needs to control his opponent. Everyone comes out better after facing Moxley, even in defeat. Yuta wouldn't even be a thing if not for him.

Sort of off tangent, but someone (maybe even Mox himself) had a comment a year or two ago that stuck with me, especially as someone who doesn't really dig him that much. 

I'm paraphrasing, but it was something along the lines of "Mox isn't a very good pro wrestler, which makes him one of the best pro wrestlers." He's admittedly pretty awkward physically, and he never had a flashy move set (and never tried to establish one). The lack of "crisp-ness"(?) in his stuff and a move set that doesn't include a lot of flashy stuff, combined with this intensity, just leads his in-ring stuff to feel more like a legitimate fight/struggle—something that a lot of workers can't really convey all that well. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Dog said:

1) His current persona really is an act for clicks and listens, because he's too smart to the business to believe what he's saying, and knows saying the absolute opposite of the truth will get hate traffic.

I mean, grain of salt here because wrestlers lie, but I'm pretty sure the Young Bucks have said exactly this. But it was more along the lines of specifically about them when they mentioned it, and how Cornette is just working and has brought up the idea of doing business with them based off his constant bashing. I think this was in a shoot interview (maybe their book? I can't remember) but it was pre-AEW I know that much. They talked about seeing him backstage at some shows or conventions or something and he'd always bring it up.

I think that ship definitely has sailed though. Maybe because of what he's said in the three years since AEW has formed, or maybe he's saying it because they rejected his angling, but yeah. I think once you accuse Kenny Omega of liking little Japanese girls and saying Hikaru Shida slept her way to an AEW title win (or was it Riho he said that about?) you're probably persona non grata in AEW.

2 hours ago, EricG said:

Sort of off tangent, but someone (maybe even Mox himself) had a comment a year or two ago that stuck with me, especially as someone who doesn't really dig him that much. 

I'm paraphrasing, but it was something along the lines of "Mox isn't a very good pro wrestler, which makes him one of the best pro wrestlers." He's admittedly pretty awkward physically, and he never had a flashy move set (and never tried to establish one). The lack of "crisp-ness"(?) in his stuff and a move set that doesn't include a lot of flashy stuff, combined with this intensity, just leads his in-ring stuff to feel more like a legitimate fight/struggle—something that a lot of workers can't really convey all that well. 

It was Minoru Suzuki who said this iirc. It was in the G1. Basically, he said it makes him stand out instead of being good at everything and relying on that instead of having personality, which Moxley has in spades. 

He's not wrong. Mechanically, Moxley is really loose and sloppy in a lot of his execution. Most of his stuff doesn't look good at all. I couldn't even look at his Danielson stomps to the head last night. But he's had a handful of excellent matches in just the last few months, is their most over guy after Punk, and has tonnes of momentum so it's working. Suzuki is astute. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

Cornette is just the equivalent of the sports talking head that says shit like, "Steph Curry actually sucks at basketball!!!" to get clicks/views/listeners/whatever. He's going to say some obviously stupid shit to get people to listen and that's it.

• Like 6