DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JULY 2022 - THREAD 2

I think there were a couple bumps along the road with Wardlow, but the way they booked the Street Fight was pitch perfect.

I think the key to Wardlow is not to make him cut long rambling promos. Just let him talk a little bit a few words at a time like Goldberg or Lesnar. 

But shit this guy is money, and fans are eating him up. Wardlow has that superstar aura and it factor. Also, that Swanton was incredible.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I said it when MJF cut his worky shooty promo...Pillman's work shoot stuff is legendary with a certain segment of smart fans, I guess, but it didn't make any money and didn't have any kind of satisfying payoff.  Its only appeal was that it was a peak behind the curtain in an industry that had seen very few of those, so it was interesting in that regard.  But as part of a wrestling show?  Useless.  If you went to a play and an actor broke character, said unkind words to his fellow actors, and walked off, it would be a wild thing to see and would get some press.  But I don't think anyone would "book" that to happen again because there's nowhere else to go with it and nobody would believe it anyway.

Well, presumably it made Pillman money. But yeah, not for any company.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I think there were a couple bumps along the road with Wardlow, but the way they booked the Street Fight was pitch perfect.

I think the key to Wardlow is not to make him cut long rambling promos. Just let him talk a little bit a few words at a time like Goldberg or Lesnar. 

But shit this guy is money, and fans are eating him up. Wardlow has that superstar aura and it factor. Also, that Swanton was incredible.

I have no problem admitting that my "doom and gloom" Wardlow has "cooled" thought process was entirely wrong.  I can't wait to see what he does with the TNT title.

• Like 2

Not to rebook the Summer of Punk, but the way to make that work would've been to have Punk keep doing shit like when he accosted Triple H at ComicCon or whatever, and popping up on social media, showing up in random indies, etc. so he doesn't completely disappear while he's hot, but still making it look like he's not with the company, until eventually Trips, as new onscreen authority figure, reluctantly agrees to pay him per appearance, no contract, so he continues to defend the title. 

As for MJF, it's apparent to me that the end goal in this is have him win the title at some point early next year, threaten to take it to Vince when his contract expires, and retain by the skin of his teeth until December when he's finally defeated by the heart and soul of AEW, whoever that may be (it should be Darby)

How we get from where we are now to there, I'm not sure, his initial return should be a surprise, run in through the crowd, grab a mic on a live show, etc. but have a top face (Hangman's not doing anything) call him out and challenge him so he's feuding with a AEW's representative and not Tony directly.

• Like 4

Just now, chriskbrown50 said:

Been now 6 weeks since MJF walked off stage left - and weirdly (and thankfully) it has not mattered one bit. 

Helps having such a deep roster and making new stars as AEW's done.

Contrast that to WWE Emergency: Break glass for Brock.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Helps having such a deep roster and making new stars as AEW's done.

Contrast that to WWE Emergency: Break glass for Brock.

My thoughts exactly - of course the timing of MJF with the conclusion of the Wardlow saga did not hurt AEW. I give credit to MJF for showing and doing the honors in Vegas. But AEW's been able to build around more than one, and even with a slew of really high profile injuries able to still put on some really great matches. 

Meanwhile Vince's answer is Brock-Roman, rinse and repeat. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I really hope that one day soon somebody with stroke comes to the realization that having 3 plus commentators chewing up every second of every show is incredibly fucking annoying and a disservice to the action. Far too much philosophy. And far too many egos clamouring to get their moment to hear their voice in this irritating merry-go-round of stupidity. Respect the viewer's ability to think and to see with their own eyes. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I really hope that one day soon somebody with stroke comes to the realization that having 3 plus commentators chewing up every second of every show is incredibly fucking annoying and a disservice to the action. Far too much philosophy. And far too many egos clamouring to get their moment to hear their voice in this irritating merry-go-round of stupidity. Respect the viewer's ability to think and to see with their own eyes. 

This. Stick with Excaliber and Tony, rotate out the third guy as needed (Taz for his guys, Regal for BCC, etc.)

• Like 7

Excalibur is really good but sometimes he misses the chance to call out actual plot points in matches (like when wrestler A hits a big move that matters) because the other guys are rambling about something inconsequential, or not as meaningful.  With a few exceptions, I think two commentators is the best way to do it.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, hobo joe said:

This. Stick with Excaliber and Tony, rotate out the third guy as needed (Taz for his guys, Regal for BCC, etc.)

Yeah, I don't mind Tony in the interviewer role at all (he does a really nice job, and it makes me think back fondly to his earlier stuff) but I've been missing him in the booth a lot. I understand the thought process with using J.R. in the second hour - keeps him fresher longer, brings gravitas to the marquee matches, gets him face time on Rampage - but for me, I'd choose Schiavone in the booth probably seven times out of ten. Not a knock on J.R. at all, he's had a real rough few years off screen and it's understandable he's at an age where the fastballs lose some mustard

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Excalibur is really good but sometimes he misses the chance to call out actual plot points in matches (like when wrestler A hits a big move that matters) because the other guys are rambling about something inconsequential, or not as meaningful.  With a few exceptions, I think two commentators is the best way to do it.

He has grown into the role well.  He has the task of moving things along plus all the promos. 

• Like 1