DVDVR Message Board

Wi-fi Question

I installed a new modem-router today and decided to run a speed test.  Noticed my iPad Air was substantially faster than her iPad.  Think Air is fourth generation and IPad might be third.

is this normal?  Better parts/faster modem in Air?  Services like YouTube seemed to work fine, so it does ‘t seem like a big issue.  Just curious.  We’re not hardcore streamers so as long as videos on YouTube play without interruption, it should be fine.

i don’t know what speeds were like before.  It’s been at least ten years since I ran a speed test on why of our devices.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
Typo

Yes, the newer device is going to be faster between the device and the router.  And it's unlikely you'll notice a difference with YouTube, so long as the speed is above 10mbps.

• Like 1

What Raziel said.  Unless your internet is shit, the human eye cannot really detect massive differences in framerate.    As long as your bandwidth is fast enough to keep your streaming service from buffering and your television / portable device is HD / SHD / UHD and the feed doesn't pixelate, you're good to go.