DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 7/8/2022

The Natural

Holy shit I pumped my fist and smiled like the markiest of marks for that Kingston/Takeshita finish.  I’m beyond happy that the kid who (IF he was good all week) watched AJPW eating Chinese food got to work an honest to god All Japan match on national tv.  Fuck yeah Eddie Kingston.

• Like 13

1 minute ago, wpdougie2180 said:

If Gresham is facing Moriarty next week on Rampage for the title then who is he facing at Death Before Dishonor? 

It's gotta be.... KONOSUKE TAKESHITA!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

I will buy the ROH PPV if Gresham faces Takeshita.

Also Nese sold that Orange Punch like a god damned champ.

Literally came on to post the same, Nese sold that better than anyone I’ve ever seen take a superman punch.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, southofheavy said:

I'm gonna wake up and watch Eddie vs Takeshita again. My two current favorites and man, that was glorious. Akiyama and Kobashi smile upon their works. 

Eddie Kingston and Konosuke Takeshita are having a great year. Kenta Kobashi and Jun Akiyama would look upon approvingly. Please give Eddie his dream match with Akiyama.

• Like 1

Shark Cage! I’m already grinning from ear to ear about the degree of Cornette-style stooging we’re going to get from Daddy Magic while he’s up there. Drop the fireball down to Jericho for the finish?

Elsewhere the curse remains undefeated (Hook notwithstanding). Just waiting for the angle where a heel pays Danhausen off APA style to curse their opponent for a title win

ETA: And I didn’t want to go there, but yeah I’m going there…this incredibly enjoyable week of AEW TV was Adam Cole-free. I’m not sayin but I’m just sayin.

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 2

SATURDAY REFLECTIONS:  Eddie and Takeshita did the Pre-Fireworks section of a King's Road match, all it needed was 10 minutes of a headscissors section.  The build up to the fireworks goes from the opening feeling out section to some striking to actual fireworks section that starts with Takeshita hits his first Lariat.  They are really channeling Kobashi with the delayed selling of giant moves.  I mean Eddie hits a fucking GNARLEY Backdrop Driver while you rubes are watching in picture in picture and Takeshita pops up and hits a Lariat and sells it all after Eddie spin kicks him.  They really tried to cram a 45 minute Misawa/Kawada match into 12 minutes.  The German on the apron into the Kingston Exploider to the floor is awesome but the Takeshita forearming Eddie to set up the Brainbuster is the highlight of the match.  The finish starts with Takeshita taking an Tequila Sunrise Duplex directly on his neck and popping up and hitting a Lariat and a Jumping knee to Eddie hitting two uricans for the win- as one can be reminded how annoying the first Kobashi pop up from a big move was and how it's pretty much accepted psychology now.  I still think it looks weird.  If they have a rematch, they would have time to sell this more like a Misawa match and not use the Kobashi selling as such a crutch.  That was a great approximation and quick sketch of a King's Road main event.  It was an American introduction to King's Road- as I don't know how well a longer King's Road match would go over to an American audience.  I don't want to dwell on the shortcomings of the selling because the up side to this match way overshadow any thing that would annoy me about this match.  I don't know though, if you can get enough heat, an AEW audience will get into some great things- including a legitimate 45 minute King's Road main event. Gates of Agony have got to be a JR dream come true by how great they look just standing there.  Gresham is soooo much better as a heel because he is such a natural smarmy bastard.  Caprice Coleman is truly awesome getting over little things that Gates of Agony do that Arn and Tully did.  Caprice is great.  Kaun is so cool.  The first time Gresham doesn't tag Moriarty is SO Memphis.  This is like Wildfire Tommy Rich turning on every tag partner he ever had.  Man, Kaun is a fucking machine.  Gates of Agony have a great Road Warriors vibe- Kaun is Hawk who can work and sell, and Tao Leona is Animal, the guy who fucking mauls people.  The set-up to the hot tag is fucking GREAT and the crowd deflating after they recognize what happened is EXACTLY what you want.  So fucking good.  Gates of Agony have a little awkward section destroying Moriarty, as Moriarty is great struggling to try to fight his way out of his impossible situation.  Moriarty was great in this, being a fiery babyface betrayed by the last remnant of HONOR!  That's good storytelling.  Serena Deeb and Mercedes Martinez need to get back together for the Women's tag title tournament after Deeb wins the ROH title off Martinez.  They OBVIOUSLY love tagging with each other.  They can have a continuous Akira Hokuto Tags With Shinobu Kandori vibe and they can keep getting bitchier and bitchier towards each other and IT WILL BE GLORIOUS!.  Gresham is TOTALLY channeling Tommy Rich in his delight at turning EVIL and turning on the upstart Moriarty.  So good.  I love Tony Nese selling the amazingly stupid reason he is wrestling Orange Cassidy.  Rampage has turned to total Saturday Memphis TV but it pays off the weird angles on TV, instead of at the Coliseum Friday night.  Why should you go to the Rampage Coliseum?  Because they did this thing where Mark Sterling was trying to get everyone to sign some kind petition to get Shane Strickland kicked off the roster- because he eliminated his tag partner in a battle royal?  So stupid but very Memphis.  Any excuse to heat up a match on Friday at the coliseum.  The match itself, Mark Sterling IS Ronnie P Gossett.  Tony Nese is so fun as the annoying Alpha Male asshole who would hang out with Sterling. Nese has become a true Tully Blanchard style workrate heel by aligning with Sterling.  I love that Sterling can come up with an idiot reason to attack someone and he can send out Tony Nese to realize his idiot plans.  So fucking old school wrestling.  It's a fun part of wrestling that no one does well anymore.  Tony Nese is a great opponent for Cassidy because he has endless offense for Cassidy to struggle against.  Cassidy is truly a version of Ricky Morton because the crowd really becomes invested with him fighting back against the merciless onslaught of a relentless heel.  That's what was great about the Will Ospreay match and the great thing about this match.  It's just that Nese (and Ethan Page last week) have more conventional offense than Ospreay's offense.  But it's the same concept.  This match is given more time to recreate the Ospreay match that the Ethan Page match only hinted at.  I'm trying to think what other athletic/old school heels they have on the roster to continue this run.  Meanwhile, Danhausen is the Mighty Igor of AEW.  All he needs to do is start kissing the ref and eating Polish sausage in the ring.  Smart Mark Sterling feigning an injury is going to lead to the next stupid reason to go after Cassidy.  Hopefully with Josh Woods.  Mark Sterling is a national treasure and we are blessed to be walking in his presence.  Such a great, fun match.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DEAN said:

This is great.

Seeing a genuinely happy Eddie is so wholesome.

Loved the opening and main event matches, both completely different but both awesome in their own way.

Tony and Smart Mark are a great pairing and Nese was bumping like a maniac for OC tonight. The bump on the Superman punch was ridiculous.

83229-E76-5-BD2-4-DC8-AC1-A-2-C31-BC71-F

I loved that the crowd was so into it and even popped HUGE for the curse. 

• Like 4

On 7/6/2022 at 5:19 PM, Matt D said:

Pro Wrestling Logic says either it's a surprise person and they're losing the tag or it's because Lee's turning. But I mean you guys go and argue with pro wrestling logic.

Pro Wrestling Logic is so wonderfully dumb.

• Like 2