DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 7/8/2022

The Natural

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

'Nuff said.

You are right. 

Everyone has the right to their individual tastes and opinions,but anybody who needs more than this is just plain wrong.

You are right, my friend. That is 'nuff said. 

But when has that ever stopped me? Hope you don't mind if I have a bunch more to say about this show.

In 21 hours or so:

Tony Has-him-some-nice-abs vs Orangey C. After Cassidy's list-worthy match vs Ospreay my expectations for  "an Orange match" have been raised to "gonna make me laugh and drop my jaw and tell a little story in there."  Nese's Pure Title YouTube classic vs Wheeler Yuta also raised my expectations for a Tony Nese match! My expectations are way higher for this one than they would have been just a month ago. I don't expect to be disappointed, either.

Mercedes and Deeb in action! I very much dig how AEW's ladies' division is somehow suddenly filled with ass-kickers like these two, Storm, Hayter, Nyla, etc, and also how many of those ass-kickers are in ass-kicking tag teams now, too. I hope we get Mercedes and Deeb vs ThunderStorm sometime soon. 

And, you know what happens when we hope for things from AEW!

We get Toa Liona on Rampage (for example)! I dig Toa Liona. He just looks like a pro wrestler. Gates of Agony vs Gresham and Moriarty To Set Something Up for the ROH PPV is gonna be fun. That PPV is already looking sick. (FTR.v Briscoes II is also 'nuff said) and now we get to learn more about it. Plus we get Tully back on AEW TV. I wonder what he is going to wear.

We get Kingston vs Takeshita! That really kind of freaks me out. They figured out how much we want that before we figured out how much we want that. No way this match doesn't end up making the list. Gonna be straight up Kingston's Road. Gonna be Kingston vs Ishii but with a more athletic, younger,  Ishii. Takesoup gonna represent Akiyama. We are getting Exploders! Possibly in more ways than one. 

I love that the build to this was just a couple of tweets among Mad King, Lard Lad,and Jun Akiyama. It's enough! i ain't even on Twitter but I know the story. And I don't need it. That graphic is enough! Do you like good pro wrestling?! Let them tell the story in the ring. This cake don't need no icing. This steak got enough sizzle. These cinnamon rolls sell themselves.

*settles down*

*loses it a second time*

I'm in Too Much Good Wrestling Overload, and I am LOVING IT!

Oh! And I have an excuse to post these: 

nVqdEwt.jpg

8SOQYQ4.jpg

I met Akiyama twice, in 2009 snd 2013, and he was super nice to me both times. I would almost swear that he recognised me the second time. 

To be fair, I also recognised him.

Edited by Gordlow
BLUE THUNDER!!!!
  • Like 16

I got a little bit of a belly, yeah. I like to eat ice cream, I like Five Guys, I like pizza, you know what I mean? - Eddie Kingston 

https://www.postwrestling.com/2022/06/21/eddie-kingston-shares-his-thoughts-about-the-conversation-concerning-wrestlers-body-types-talks-adam-cole/

To me the main is The Young Master challenging Old Master... the Rule of Two... winner gets the last of the peanut butter pie in catering

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I'll admit to only having heard of Takeshita from when he was in a time or two last year.  But it sure didn't take long once he came back for me to fall in love with guy and his lardy ways.  So much like y'all when I saw that match graphic I almost screamed in delight.  I'm fucking psyched for this and I hope they find a way to have a couple more matches down the line.

It helps to see Gordlow mention the other matches as while it's not at all a one-match show it's the one I'm mainly thinking about.  Orange/Neese will be crazy good, Deeb/Martinez wrecking fools again and Toa Liona featured in a tag match.  That's pretty damn awesome!  Thankfully I have AEW+ as I will not be a "rube" tonight and watch it as it's meant to be seen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, FakeWorker said:

Athena has had one match on tv since debuting two months ago.  But sure, let's have the only women's match on Rampage be a squash again.

Less is more.

(Plus she's injury prone so why take chances)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FakeWorker said:

Athena has had one match on tv since debuting two months ago.  But sure, let's have the only women's match on Rampage be a squash again.

Wait a sec, I'll have to assume you haven't seen the fantastic series of Dark squashes from the Deeb-Martinez tag team? They've been some of the best or most entertaining AEW programming over the past month. More than deserving of a TV spot. Especially considering they have 15 days until the PPV they're promoting. That said, I'd love to see a little more Athena too.

Really strange that 'green as grass' Toa Linoa has something like 4 matches since that ROH PPV. And none with partner Kaun. This is what I don't understand about AEW, same with Jade Cargill, and any of their projects. Why are these inexperienced talents not being given match assignments on the Indies? Like partner up with some of the better indies and send these guys in to work some matches. It would help the workers and said indies. Kaun and Toa looked neat on that ROH PPV, but they also looked completely out of place at points and badly in need of reps. Toa in particular, Kaun looks pretty smooth actually, but less so as part of this team.

Anyway, Takeshita-Kingston, a Deeb-Martinez squash, Orangeman-underrated Nese, Tully Blanchard Enterprises, 'Let's Rock!'

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

Awesome.  Konosuke Takeshita versus Eddie Kingston!  They go completely King's Road.  Takeshita hits a SWEET Lariat and a Jumping Lariat and a Blue Thunder Bomb!  Eddie Kingston is fucking awesome to take Takeshita's offense, he being a physical wreck and all.  MAN,  this becomes TRANSCENDENT as they get to the apron and they start beating the living fuck out of each other.  FUCKING BEAUTIFUL EXPLOIDER SUPLEX ON THE FLOOR BY KINGSTON!  Oh man, this is fucking great.  Great Tiger Driver by Kingston.  GREAT FUCKING BRAINBUSTER by Konosuke Takeshita!  GREAT FUCKING FINISH!  FUCKING GREAT.  MOTHER FUCKING GREAT!  That High Angle Tequila Suplex by Kingston was SUCH a tribute to 1998 All Japan.  So fucking great.  GREAT.  I assume this is a dry run of Kingston versus Akiyama.  It's the Gates of Agony!  They get to follow THAT.  KAUN is totally the Booker T of the Gates of Agony.  Toa Leona looks way better here than at the ROH PPV.  Maybe KAUN is a SUPER WORKER.  He reminds me of Al Perez.  IATIF! as they beat a giant amount of heat on Lee Moriarty.  GRESHAM TURNING HEEL!  GRESHAM IS JOINING TULLY BLANCHARD ENTERPRISES!  WHAT THE FUCK!  AWESOME!  GOA totally destroy Moriarty.  That was soo fucking Memphis. So Tully Blanchard is booking ROH?  Maybe Cowboy Bill Watts is.  That's how you get Lee Moriarty over as a babyface.  He needs to join the Blackpool Combat Club or the House of Black or something.  Meanwhile, postmatch, Kingston is fucking great.  Don't break up Deeb and Martinez!  What is this- Smackdown?   I love the level of dumbness that Smart Mark Sterling brings to the vaunted Workrate Drenched AEW!  Any excuse to get Tony Nese in the ring with Orange Cassidy.  Cassidy has been completely fired up since the Ospreay masterpiece.  JANE!  A time for love... and a time for letting it be, baby.  I love the truly dumb story of the DELAYED hands in his pockets.  Nese is a great HEAT MACHINE.  And he is also a great in-ring wrestler.  Oh man, Danhausen HAS to give Sterling a Brainbuster.  I think they should establish a precedent that Mark Sterling always takes a Brainbuster when he is on national TV.  Nese misses a BEAUTIFUL Moonsault in picture in picture.  He cuts off Cassidy and hits the Moonsault FOR TWO!  YEah, this match will be magnified in the INTERNATIONAL FEED.  This match is good!  I don;t think it's going to eclipse Eddie Kingston and Konosuke Takeshita beating the fuck out of each other, but this is good.  Cassidy is great being a face working from underneath and Nese has a great offensive arsenal.  This is great.  I love the nearfalls section.  Nese looks fucking great in this.  Two DDTs!  TOPROPE DDT!  FOR TWO!  NESE WITH A K-DRILLER! FOR TWO!  Danhausen punches Sterling in the testicles en lieu of a Brainbuster.  Man, Orange Cassidy is the Five Star Match Collector!  Actually, Cassidy is lucky to be in the ring with amazingly freakish athletes and he is really great at putting a match together.  What a great hour of professional wrestling.  Except for breaking up Deeb and Martinez.  I mean- FUCK- Gresham turned heel and made himself interesting.  And Kingston and Takeshita.  Man, that whole episode was fucking great.  AEW RULES THE WHOLE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

"wHy WoUlD yOu SiGn ToNy NeSe?"

That. That is why. 

Fair. Nobody buys him for a minute, so there's no real drama but his mechanics are so great and he bumps like a man with a death wish that it doesn't really matter that much. Super fun main event. Can't wait to check out Kingston and Takeshita later tonight. 

Those Kingston/Jericho stips are so rad.

• Like 6

Yeah, yeah, sure. We got two really excellent and totally different singles matches.

But we also got to see the octopus turn against his friend the tiger, and a luxury automobile get betrayed by a mad professor. Now that is entertainment!

I loved Takesoup and Mad King just going ahead and dropping one another on their heads during pitcher in pitcher. I exploded for the exploder on the floor.

Tony Neese is, to my surprise, a whole lot more than just a dude with great abs. He took some great bumps in there today. He's getting over without going over! Orangey Boy is 100 % legit. I sincerely enjoyed listening to JR enjoying his work.

Although he isn't "literally exploding." Maybe that was meant as a Gorilla Monsoon tribute.

I am so stoked that AEW is gonna give us that Rev Pro title match for free on YouTube! The thing to avoid now is taking all this great wrestling and interpromotional cooperation for granted. It's amazing. We are lucky, as people who f'n love professional wrestling, to be catered to so generously. I am legit grateful for this.

EDIT: SHARK CAGE!!! Are you kidding me?!?!

Edited by Gordlow
SHARK CAGE!!!
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

Orangey Boy is 100 % legit. I sincerely enjoyed listening to JR enjoying his work.

Although he isn't "literally exploding."

Given AEW's track record with explosions, maybe he is and nobody's noticed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Really fun episode. Takeshita/Kingston was killer as expected. Loved the apron german ~> outside exploder. 

Did not expect a Gresham turn at all. If anything, thought Moriarty was more likely to turn to challenge for the title. Never been particularly interested in Gresham but he looked good in his Impact/AEW appearances so far, so I'm intrigued to see how he does with a Tully Blanchard pairing now.

Mercedes & Serena explode, definitely looking forward to their eventual showdown. 

Orange/Nese was great. Orange remains on fire. Excellent near fall with the smart mark distraction late in the match. Danhausen always rules. Looking forward to more stacked lineups, hyped for the Jericho/Kingston barbed wire deathmatch

• Like 4

Great hour of TV. Eddie got to finally expose The Belly! Tony Nese once again exposed that he is a secret awesome wrestler. They fast forwarded the breakup of Mercedes and Serena but that's probably because they are clearly pushing the ROH stuff right now and that will be a significant part. One of the Gates of Agony hit a chop as loud and merciless as anything in Kingston vs. Takeshita too. Fun, fun show. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Great hour of TV. Eddie got to finally expose The Belly! Tony Nese once again exposed that he is a secret awesome wrestler. They fast forwarded the breakup of Mercedes and Serena but that's probably because they are clearly pushing the ROH stuff right now and that will be a significant part. One of the Gates of Agony hit a chop as loud and merciless as anything in Kingston vs. Takeshita too. Fun, fun show. 

Thought of you when the barbed wire death match was announced.

• Like 1