DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 7/6/2022

The Natural

1 minute ago, DEAN said:

Let him go WWE.  They need him.

It's too bad wrestling isn't like the NBA where teams can trade disgruntled stars. MJF for Sasha would make so much sense for everyone involved.

For the record, though, I think MJF's future would (will) be plenty bright in AEW.

• Like 1

Whether WWE gets MJF is up for debate depending on if you believe this is all real or not, but Sasha to AEW is seeming like a real possibility maybe if (yuck) PWInsider is to be believed. Apparently her & Naomi were removed from WWE's internal roster within the last day and Sasha has signings and appearances booked for the fall.

Man, the combination of work (night shift, no less), home-stretch of the diet and being 4 workouts deep into the week made me sleep through Mox vs King twice! But I've seen everything else now and it's been good, real good!

I need to wait and see if it is really Brian Cage who challenges for the ROH World title, and if so, then take my money, again! This is turning out more expensive than I figured, but with FITE's pricing, it's still a steal. Although, for some reason, I simply refuse to pay 32 euros for the Supercard of Honor. No matter how great that tag team match was.

Look, guys if the whole roster was healthy (and not disgruntled) at the same time, our brains would probably melt instantly when watching this, so just be thankful we're safe for now!

29 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Schadenfreude for the guy with one of the hottest angles this year? Max Derangement Syndrome is out of control. 

Pay the man, Tony! He's not even on the shows and people can't stop bringing him up!

God forbid someone discuss a wrestler on a wrestling message board.  Can you trot out the term "living rent free" next?  Man, you are the king of bad faith buzzword arguments.  Is there a bingo card for your act somewhere?

• Like 1

I'd assumed the constant dunking on a guy who's not even here and willful obtuseness about his virtues was the gimmick. But sure, Christian's current edgelord schtick has definitely lapped the guy with real heat and about who people have real questions. 

At least Christian keeps it simple enough that people don't come in here and cry "Russo!" every other week. 

• Like 1

For various reasons (including finally watching the 7/1 Rampage [which was pretty awesome]) I only managed to watch the first hour of Dynamite, stopping right after the Penta entrance. Went ahead and read the spoilers, and it all was pretty much what I expected and won't affect my watching of the second hour.

Wardlow got his heat back. Fun match, was obvious the ATT guys were enhancement since they didn't bother naming any of them and most were more roided and less cauliflower ears, lean muscle, and DV convictions. Thought briefly that the confetti being so thick would be cover for a run-in (likely He Who Shall Not Be Named), still thought so when Wardlow was backing up the ramp. But they didn't go there.

Christian is going to get himself stabbed. If it weren't for HoB, having Dark Luchasaurus spit black mist as part of his dark gimmick would work in a dinosaur attack kind of way. Hardy reacted well to Christian's very personal attacks. Like DEAN, I wanted some blood, it'll happen soon enough.

Swerve in the Glory vs. Butcher and Blade (and my dear Bunny), as others have pointed out, wasn't as smooth as it could have been but had some good hoss fight moments and more good tease of a Swerve-Lee split. I assume the Upstate NY crowd (upstate being anything north of Yonkers) was cheering B&Bw/B for their Buffalo connection.

Starks was heated, definitely channeling classic Flair energy. Another three-way surely will have different results, but then that takes away from the money Bucks-FTR for all the gold match.

Kingston was great in his 1 minute of mic time. Tony was being weird during the in-ring interview segments. Poor Ruby!

Think that's about it. 

• Like 5

Also came back to shout out Butcher and Blade, they did a great job last night. Looked better than ever and def riding that Royal Rampage moment (Bunny in tow, and hopefully also back in ring soon)

• Like 1

Really, really into Wardlow. For him to have done what he’s done in 3 years is remarkable. I was at his first AEW match in Atlanta and have been a believer ever since. Those ATT guys are good sports. I know it’s not the A squad the Inner Circle fought a few months back, but they always show up ready to make a pro wrestler look great.

Christian Cage is on another level. His instincts are second to none, and the Luchasaurus reboot has been a revelation. 

I actually thought the Ass Boys turn on the Acclaimed could’ve been done a bit better. To me, Billy should’ve been more conflicted. Like, he knows which team is the more talent, and that his sons are entitled little shits, but they’re still his kids. I’ll give them some time to play it out, though.

Ricky Starks is so great. The cynic in me wants to roll my eyes at the idea of the Jackson’s going out of their way to get shoved over four of the most talented guys in the company, but iiwii. I’m falling asleep. More later.

• Like 3

My favorite parts of the show from what I was able to watch:

1) Whatever Ass Boy scissored with a laid out Bowens

2) I think Stoke said it took a promise of $1100 to get Leila interested in becoming a Baddie? 

Edited by Greggulator
  • Like 1

The "$1100" to turn heel price point is so good. I have so many questions about the economics of the deal.

1) Stoke whispered this price to her and she accepted quickly. Could he have negotiated her down a little bit? Or does the cash consideration plus the chance to tag along with Jade talk her down? 

2) Or does Stoke just know the marketplace for how much it costs to convince people to turn heel? Has he done market research by surveying faces? "Hey, just wondering, not with an official offer, but how much would it take if I were to manage you and get you to start cheating? I know you're not a person of total integrity because you were a heel at that ROH show in the NE Philly Armory we were at that one time. Just help me out here." 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Maaaaan, what a fucking bummer that the Ass Boys turned on the Acclaimed. Probably about time though because Acclaimed are way, way over as a face act.

I'm kind of the opposite of folks here on the Penta/Rush and the Butcher and Blade/Swerve in their Glory match. Both were sloppy and off for different reasons. Penta losing his mask early wound up fucking everything else up and nothing felt right after that probably because Penta was in his head about not losing his mask. The tag match was just all kinds of off. Swerve looked good and Keith Lee looked like dogshit. And once again it was another tag match with a 3 count that didn't end the match. Everyone has off nights though, but Lee was especially off last night.

The opener was pretty damn good and Wardlow is finally a champion. Start doing an open challenge again and start mowing through everyone for a good year or so.

Miro feuding with Black?! Ok. Sign me up for that.

I really liked the main event with Moxley trying to find a way to take out King. Weird that the crowd died at the end of that match. I think the psychology of the match lost them.

Stokely is too good for us. 

The Eddie interview was going well until the bullshit in the back and then they never cut back to Eddie for his reaction unless I blinked and missed it. In either event, this must be another Jericho booked feud because it already feels like it has been going on for what feels like forever and I'm sure we'll get a couple more months of it until an actual blow off at All Out. I really don't mind Jericho booking his feuds because they tend to be good, but they always run way too long and would be so much better if they were half as long.

• Like 2

I think it's a holdover from his lengthy feud with HBK (which admittedly was really good stuff). That was a huge hit so now he thinks every feud he's in needs to take place over a 6 month long story arc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Maaaaan, what a fucking bummer that the Ass Boys turned on the Acclaimed. Probably about time though because Acclaimed are way, way over as a face act.

I'm kind of the opposite of folks here on the Penta/Rush and the Butcher and Blade/Swerve in their Glory match. Both were sloppy and off for different reasons. Penta losing his mask early wound up fucking everything else up and nothing felt right after that probably because Penta was in his head about not losing his mask. The tag match was just all kinds of off. Swerve looked good and Keith Lee looked like dogshit. And once again it was another tag match with a 3 count that didn't end the match. Everyone has off nights though, but Lee was especially off last night.

The opener was pretty damn good and Wardlow is finally a champion. Start doing an open challenge again and start mowing through everyone for a good year or so.

Miro feuding with Black?! Ok. Sign me up for that.

I really liked the main event with Moxley trying to find a way to take out King. Weird that the crowd died at the end of that match. I think the psychology of the match lost them.

Stokely is too good for us. 

The Eddie interview was going well until the bullshit in the back and then they never cut back to Eddie for his reaction unless I blinked and missed it. In either event, this must be another Jericho booked feud because it already feels like it has been going on for what feels like forever and I'm sure we'll get a couple more months of it until an actual blow off at All Out. I really don't mind Jericho booking his feuds because they tend to be good, but they always run way too long and would be so much better if they were half as long.

I agree with your take about Lee, the best part of the match was not their team.

I feel the happiness of the crowd as Wardy crushes the multi-man competition. I just wonder when we'll collectively have had enough of the shitty Ninjas routine? Still great to see the TNT title move passed this odd patch. Solid Moxley promo. Dug the Keith Lee-Nese/Sterling interaction, but much less so the silly OC nonsense. Save silly stips for BTE please. Christian Cage delivered the highlight of the night as I expected. Matt Hardy looked like a big ol' loser out there and I commend him for his sacrifice. Something about seeing guys interrupt promos and walk out with a microphone that doesn't look or feel right to me. Claudio-Hager promo seemed a bit on the nose, a bit cheese whiz, but I like the result. The Lee/Swerve-Butch/Blade smelt off until the finishing stretch, but I liked the recovery. This is the second time the capable and charming Hobbs and Starks have interrupted with absolutely nothing to say. Loved Ricky's intensity, but this whole post-match felt far too contrived and pointless pre-Bucks. The Bucks were fine, but why are the heel champions challenging two teams when they could lose their titles without taking the pin? There's some details that didn't get a comb thru them on this show. Such as Ruby Soho holding her hand in position to be hit by the door. Seeing as it was pre-taped last week, first, how was this their final take? And two, how did this sit in the can and then air like this? Has Impact Wrestling taken over? Dark Order segment was a complete waste of time. I'm all for a traditional tribute for the well loved and missed Brodie Lee in Rochester, but that was complete nonsense. Nice intentions but not a successful result. And I don't think I'm alone in dreading 'the Dark Order forever'. It already feels like forever. Move on already. Loved Roosh and Penta. Loved it. Rush is a big rudo superstar. Andrade was golden on the outside. Andrade, Rush and Jose are quickly becoming my top tandem. Really looking forward to the inevitable classic tag bout with the Bros. Sad as everybody else by the Acclaimed-Asses-Daddy Ass break-up. But awesome, Gunns to the top! Acclaimed to the top! Did my ears deceive me or did Bear Country not even get announced? That was sadly my least favorite Miro promo. It's time to get some fresh and funny material. I liked what I saw of the Women's tag, but need a second commercial free look. Dug Mox-Brody fine enough. Specifically the opening beatdown and close-up closing moments, but need a second look there too. Stoked for the ROH PPV. Fuckin' FTR v Briscoes 2! Dreams can be willed true fellow Death Valley posters.

• Like 4

I saw the show while on the commuter bus for my first real day back at work in 2+ years (heading in two days a week now). I'm not sure I have meaningful opinions considering. I thought that might have been the least annoying AEW Penta match ever. They just beat the crap out of each other. I've seen people say that Christian is outshining MJF on the mic but Rush is the world's best MJF in the ring. Such a dick in everything he does. I'm not at all convinced he can go like it was 2014 and he's wrestling Shocker and Negro Casas but he almost doesn't need to since what he does stands out. He can be 90s post-Jail Mocho Cota, just a malignant goblin who hits hard and gets hit hard. I don't have a ton else to say. Rampage looks good. Claudio and Hager looks like a good match. I didn't like the Kingston segment since he was too deep into "acceptance," though him clowning Tony was funny. Rarely do I actually watch ALL of Dynamite. It's the least of all the AEW shows, but when you do, it's kind of exhausting how "crash TV with long matches" it is. They use every second and don't let anything sink in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Nineteen said:

Ruby was a liiiiiiiitle out of place for that door spot. Like there's 6 people in that segment, one of them totally could have held her in place for Tay. 

There could be a network issue with man on woman violence then 

So what was the name of the show on Friday I though in was The Ramage Rumble but X kept calling it Royale Rampage? The Rumble on the Royale Rampage maybe?

This kinda felt like a cool down/reset episode. Still fun though

We got a reference to MJF and WWE

WHY DADDY ASS WHY?

Toni Storm USES THE ASS! She's like late 90 early 2000s HHH where most of his offence was KNEE related

LardLad vs Eddie two boys who like to eat throwing down! Loser picks up the check for the midnight buffet! 

Colt Cabana has mysteriously vanished in the either it seems.

Nyla singing in the rain! I assume we are done with Marina

Main was restaurant quality slobberknocking

• Like 5

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Did my ears deceive me or did Bear Country not even get announced? 

Dreams can be willed true fellow Death Valley posters.

1) I believe that they were in fact announced, as "Ruffin It!" As in, Boulder, Bronson, and Ruff(in) are apparently an official trio with a name and everything. As in, the joking from Taz(z) about Bear Country adding a baby bear has apparently already borne fruit! I am excited for what this bodes. 

2) This seems to be increasingly true every week. It's getting nuts.

• Like 3

A few other thoughts...

So the Bucks are faces now?

I'm so tired of Penta now even as someone who was really into him in LU. This is the 5th or 6th time I've seen him do the "mask gets pulled off get beat with a small package" finish

I'm guessing the ATT guys where really indy workers. 

And I think it might be time to do a soft disband of The Dark Order. Don't do a break up but just let everyone go their sperate ways. John Silver has been a break out mens star and doesn't interact with the rest of the group much. Maybe he and Hangman can go after the tag titles, This is the first time in a while Anna Jay has done anything with the group. She usually has her own thing going on. So you have to singles that broke out. You may have something in Preston Vance so keep him in the tag team with Uno and if this trio's tournament ever gets off the ground you could do Uno/Vance/Reynolds (Or Hangman/Silver/Reynolds)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Greggulator said:

The "$1100" to turn heel price point is so good. I have so many questions about the economics of the deal.

1) Stoke whispered this price to her and she accepted quickly. Could he have negotiated her down a little bit? Or does the cash consideration plus the chance to tag along with Jade talk her down? 

2) Or does Stoke just know the marketplace for how much it costs to convince people to turn heel? Has he done market research by surveying faces? "Hey, just wondering, not with an official offer, but how much would it take if I were to manage you and get you to start cheating? I know you're not a person of total integrity because you were a heel at that ROH show in the NE Philly Armory we were at that one time. Just help me out here." 

I think the $1100 was just the price of her attacking Storm and Rosa (who sorta came to her rescue) right after fighting Jade, right? Not the whole Baddie salary, certainly?