DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXXV - 7/30/2022

Dolfan in NYC

4 hours ago, dogwelder said:

So was Mcafee trying to do a Panama Sunrise?  Are we going to get more Twitter feuding between him and Adam Cole with no payoff any time soon?

Looked like a Code Red without the "snap" to me so it just ends up being a sunset flip. Similar to how Johnny B Badd used to finish off guys sometimes. As a quick aside since I've been watching old episodes of Saturday Night, how did go so long in WCW without a true finisher? Like he had the right hand but those were technically illegal but everything else was something random, and it's not like the announcers put over him as a guy with a lot of different ways to beat a man. 

Dug the show overall, nice to see Dakota and Io get the re-sign/call up, Miz made Paul look great (and he help up his end), My heart hurts for the Profits and I hope this doesn't lead to them breaking up. Rhonda has legit gripes and we'll see if they play it right. The main event was a banger and a great way to cap off the feud. Hopefully they won't feel the need to break the glass in case of emergency anytime soon.

Pat finished Corbin the same way Drew Gulak finished Corbin on the Saturday Night Main Event show recently. And yes, Gulak somehow won a match, in fact two matches against Corbin recently. Gulak has been training the celebs for the ring. Maybe he helped Pat practice for this match too, and that move was included in that.

Overall a great show. First two matches REALLY good. Second best Brock/Roman match easily. Rest of the matches all good too. Edge has the new "darker" thing I hoped for it seems (EDIT: Nope...). And maybe best of all, the return of my favorite, BAYLEY, along with the long deserved call-ups (and rehiring) of Io and Kai.

Only bad thing is seeing the repulsive glen jacobs again, but at least it was just for a few seconds. And seeing Kid Rock and his wife (or girlfriend?) almost licking each other's faces was gross. But I hate Kid Rock, so seeing him at all was going to grind away at me. I admit bias.

Not sure how WWE keep delivering so well on these PPVs/PLEs all year. Raw and Smackdown haven't been so good by comparison.

Here's to the Steph/Hunter era going forward.

Edited by CastleVania Rey

With the next big show in a few weeks (and it happening at a less than typical time for US viewers), wonder if they'll try to build some stuff for Extreme Rules or have a match or two on Raw/Smackdown that could have been in Cardiff.

looking at the schedule, guessing they're taping the September 2nd Smackdown on August 26th in Detroit so that crew could be in Wales, and that the people in Kansas City for Raw on September 5th are mostly not going to Wales?

1 hour ago, CastleVania Rey said:

And seeing Kid Rock and his wife (or girlfriend?) almost licking each other's faces was gross. But I hate Kid Rock, so seeing him at all was going to grind away at me. I admit bias.

That was comedian Chelcie Lynn. She’s married to Officer Greg of YouTube/Facebook game. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I’m surprised it took this long for a wrestler to turn six fanny packs into one pair of pants.

I guess the 90's nostalgia wave is happening.  That outfit is the Rob Leifield Youngblood level of pouches.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I’m surprised it took this long for a wrestler to turn six fanny packs into one pair of pants.

Damn, I just thought someone improved upon cargo pants to an Nth degree, but yeah!

I thought Bianca Belair vs. Becky Lynch had a much better match at WrestleMania XXXVII. Two examples as to why expectations need to be kept in check. It was the only match I looked forward to at SummerSlam whereas I had really low expectations for Roman Reigns vs. Brock Lesnar and I right enjoyed that spectacle. Barring the classic ***** match at WrestleMania XXXI and this, the rest were shit.

Edited by The Natural

The opener was probably the MOTN for me. None of their matches have really struck me as something memorable but it was good and the whole post-match landed well. I hate the Dunn approach to showing the reaction shots before you see who it is actually coming out though.

Logan Paul was shockingly good in his match. I'm not sure the big frogsplash spot was justified, felt like something Paul pitched and got approved because he's a star living out his fantasy, but still incredible athleticism. He's a far more exciting worker than Miz and I'm not against him being on the roster if he performs at this level on a regular basis.

The mid card matches on the show were all whatever. Usos vs Profits Round 10,000 wasn't as good as the MITB match and Jarrett as ref was pointless. Not sure why they needed to run this match again if Profits weren't winning.

The whole Morgan vs Rousey deal was god awful. Ronda looked like an idiot and Morgan looked weak, the worst of both worlds. Both women came out worse than they did coming in.

The main event was fun and had a lot of cool individual moments, but was also over-shadowed by the tractor gimmick and the absurd overkill. The actual physicality of the match was great and Brock was clearly really motivated. It's a shame he's having this run of his career in such a stale scenario because Old Gunslinger Brock is so much fun. The two big tractor spots were risky as hell, but I don't think they looked that good and didn't add a lot apart from the visual spectacle of the ring being ripped up (which never came in to play after). Then the Theory cash in tease went nowhere. Then 4 or 5 nearfalls on Brock before another 'buried under rubble' finish which we've seen enough times already for it to be another tired trope. Basically I really enjoyed the front half of the match when they were just tossing each other about and hitting each other with things then enjoyed it less the booking came in to play.

I watched a little bit more of the PPV. I only watched the main event the night of and the only thing that I enjoyed was the comic amount of garbage piled on top of Brock. But if you wanted to build this company around Logan, Pat, Cody, and Roman, then I could get behind that. Maybe neither guy wants to do this shit full time and in Pat's case, it's way easier to just be a commentator. but that guy was born to do this shit and has more of a connection with crowds than most of the people on the card. Give Logan and Pat a big ol bag to be semi-regular wrestlers, so just most tv and no house shows, and see what they do. 

I'm watching this now.  The Big Time Becks match was good but I've seen them wrestle a lot now.  I'm watching Logan Paul now.  Soooooo... Logan Paul is Wahoo McDaniel- a guy who was famous somewhere else who found out that he was a complete natural at pro wrestling.  So strange.

• Like 1

This might be the only place in the known universe that you'll ever see a Logan Paul - Wahoo McDaniel comparison.   

YOUR DEATH VALLEY DRIVER VIDEO REVIEW FOLKS! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
46 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

This might be the only place in the known universe that you'll ever see a Logan Paul - Wahoo McDaniel comparison.   

YOUR DEATH VALLEY DRIVER VIDEO REVIEW FOLKS! 

Here I was a few months ago saying we needed a new Greg Valentine, now Dean's comparing Logan Paul to Wahoo McDaniel, so clearly whoever takes me up on being the new Greg Valentine needs to do an angle where he breaks Logan Paul's leg and wears a shirt with heat press letters to complete the circle.

Los Mysterios vs Judgement Day was good.  Balor/Priest is a good ass stomping heel team and Rey and Dominick are heartwarming babyfaces.  Edge steals Cody's entrance!  What is going on!?!