DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXXV - 7/30/2022

Dolfan in NYC

It was probably for the best that HHH didn't have double juice in the main event so soon after taking over? Maybe corporate partners wouldn't want Brock to bleed until he dies right now?

But they pretty much cranked up all the other insanity instead.

I guess you gotta sorta underpromise and overdeliver as opposed to the AEW Barb Wire match that maybe stunk partly because it couldn't be insane enough on cable TV with a hard out at the top of the hour.

Edited by Cobra Commander

Ok, this was a great show.

Becky/Bianca was top teir work. Plus Bayley/Io/Dakota should be a great team. Hunter already making moves.

Paul/Miz was great. Way better than I thought it would be. 

Rhonda being evil is choice, Liv is definitely  going to suffer for her title.

Glad Edge is back

Tag title match was great, but the wrong team won. Jarrett was a great ref, unsurprisingly.

Main event was an awesome train wreck. Loved it.

Hope shows like this are the fire for WWE. Said it before, but their inring  has been great this year.

Edited by AaronMLuke
Obvious typos

Unless Raw tomorrow is tv 14, WWE is staying PG.

The next PLE is in Sept. 

They gave IYO the all caps evil name Japan sometimes do. For ahwile there was an e on the end of SKYE.

As bland as WWE has been for a long time now, I enjoyed this a lot more than I'd expected to. I don't know how much of this was Vince not having his hand in it or what, but this was a step in the right direction.

Bianca/Becky was easily the MOTN. There were a few awkward sequences at the beginning, but once the match got going they were really clicking on all counts. The right person won and everyone looked good here. Bayley's return was nice, and things got even more interesting when Io and Dakota showed up (had they been released previously or what?).

I don't know what sort of athletic background Logan Paul has, but if you'd told me he was a member of the roster or had been called up from developmental I would have believed it. That was probably the best match featuring a celebrity/non-wrestler that I can remember. 

Speaking of which, Pat McAfee looked good once again. If he'd decided to go into wrestling instead of announcing post-NFL he could have had a good career.

The Usos/SPs have wrestled so many times it's kind of meaningless now. I don't get why the Profits didn't go over as this was what I'd assume was the final match between the two, unless they just want this feud to go on in perpetuity. They haven't heated any other teams up so I don't know what happens from here.

Liv/Rhonda was fine. 

I like the members of Judgement Day and even though Edge has unfinished business with them I have no desire to see him wrestle again.

The main event was pretty much the clusterfuck that was expected. It's time for them to heat up someone who isn't Drew McIntyre to finally take the belt off Roman.

I was kinda expecting some over produced stunt show shenanigans like gimmicked explosions you tend to get in Last Man Stand matches and stuff so I was fine with the tractor. It didn't get hoaky to where it took me out of it. You did see some blood hard way toward the end too. The match itself was good and told a great story.

The Street Profits vs Usos was good too, I was expecting Profits to win tonight so I was shocked they lost but the way the commentators were hyping Tez Ford I expect him to turn heel on Dawkins or vice versa soon. Bianca vs Becky was fun too. Actually every match was fine tonight like the last PPV.

The last 2 PPVs have been decent so I can't really judge Hunter as the head of creative till a few more weeks of TV which I don't watch anyway. They need to get one of the world titles off Roman so a Raw guy can have it main title though,it'll make it easier to build up Raw if they had one

45 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Couple other notes,  Michael Cole was on fire. Dissing Graves all night, references to matches from 30 years ago..called a great main event, "what is this man made of!!!" He was great and also threw a lil shade on Vince.

I think it was during the Mcafee match:

Graves: I liked you more when you weren’t allowed to have an opinion. 
Cole: That’s changed. A LOT has changed. 

Edited by matt925
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

they knew what they were doing when Brock bumped the ring over before lifting it, roll to the side of where the mats have been lifted up, don't roll to the hard camera side or roll into the ringpost like a dumbfuck even if the WWE loves post-spots.

dumping him into the ring with the tractor was probably a little risky too even if you'd think it seems simple in concept

I guess in wrestling kayfabe, getting rolled like that would keep you down because you're really fucking dizzy from being rolled like that

Bianca/Becky was good stuff again. I liked their WM match more but this was good, great finishing sequence. Can't stand bayley so don't care about that but cool that IYO will be sticking around after all. Glad they made the switch to turn Becky here as it felt right in the moment and glad it wasn't a swerve. I hated most of Becky's last face run but her past year has been the most I've enjoyed her work in years. Logan/Miz was very good as well, thought that went about as perfect as it could. I liked the stadium setup a lot, reminded me of the old MSG entry and felt like finally something different. 

Didn't really care for the middle of the show. Lashley/Theory felt like a squash. Mysterios/Judgment Day I liked their RAW match better, this didn't seem to benefit much from the no DQ stip. McAfee/Corbin I did enjoy. The way Pat jumped on the finish I was scared that was for sure going wrong but it turned out really well executed, great finish.  Tag title match felt surprisingly short compared to their last match. Nothing really comes from Jarrett's involvement but I wish it would somehow lead to a one-off Jarrett/Roman TV match for the hell of it. 

Thought Liv/Ronda was terrible. Felt like Ronda putting herself in weird pinning predicaments and then rolling around in awkward ways to do submissions the whole time. Awful finish with the commentators pretty much saying Ronda won and the ref's to blame. At under five minutes, this was an awful first big defense for Liv. Ronda turning after felt a little forced.

Main event was a blast, super fun spectacle and a fitting grand finale to the 7 year feud. Cole was killing it as Brock kept taking everything and coming back. Drew's gonna have to use his sword to finally dethrone Roman in Wales.

• Like 1

I don't really watch a lot of the weekly TV (and I went from Wrestlemania to Summerslam without watching any PPVs/PLEs) so maybe i'm not desensitized to the camera direction lunacy but the camera direction kinda makes you dislike strike exchanges.

could be a case for not doing strike exchanges just to change things up, or a case for not doing certain things to avoid Kevin Dunn directing the match like a kitten running up and down a hallway

So, how much of the upcoming TV will go into Clash At The Castle build (live on a Saturday Afternoon during Labor Day Weekend in the USA) and how much will be about a 2 month build until Extreme Rules

I thought this was a fun show. Becky and Bianca was a good match. I loved the Bayley return along with Io and Dakota. Raw is gonna have a pretty good women's division just from those five alone.

Miz and Logan Paul was better than anyone thought it would be. Paul in small doses is fine. I can't imagine him on every week.

Lashley vs Theory was exactly what it should have been.

Mysterios  vs judgement day was fine. Could have used more chaos being nodq. 

McAfee vs Corbin was pretty good. The choir was hilarious. McAfee and his agility are ridiculous.

I thought the tag match was a let down. It needed at least twenty minutes for it to really flow and they only got half of that. I would have taken a longer match over all the promo videos shown.

Liv vs Ronda was a typical Ronda match. She goes 1000 mph and it's impossible for her opponent to keep up. I hope she did turn heel at the end. She's far more interesting that way.

The main event was great. Farmer Brock is awesome. I didn't think he'd win but I didn't figure he would use a loader to try and flip the ring either. Loved the ending where Brock kept getting up. I almost lost it when Theory showed up but thankfully Brock dispatched him. Overall a great train wreck of a match.

The E feels a little underrated these days, given all the shit going on. WM Night 1 was tremendous, Backlash was a jam up little In Your House, this was good. The weekly shows are pretty useless but they are delivering on PPV. Embracing the sports entertainment works for them

Definitely not their worst year. Lots of good stuff in between the Dunn cuts.

Edited by For Great Justice

7 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

I thought the tag match was a let down. It needed at least twenty minutes for it to really flow and they only got half of that. I would have taken a longer match over all the promo videos shown.

Just a heads up for those that don't know (like I didn't at first), Peacock does ads through the shows for the free / $5 tier people. If you have ad free Peacock then you get these WWE video promos that promote certain wrestlers. People with ads get real commercials for products just like TV. For the longest time I never understood why they stuffed in so many promo videos for people not on these shows like that. Until it dawned on me, this is WWE just trying to stall for time while Peacock shows ads for not ad free people.

So in that respect, they won't e able to cut those down to add more match time. Peacock is gonna get their ads in, and WWE can't exactly go on with the show and run matches through them. Not without making the flow of the event al wonky for those people that have the lower tiers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, dogwelder said:

So was Mcafee trying to do a Panama Sunrise?  Are we going to get more Twitter feuding between him and Adam Cole with no payoff any time soon?

Nah, he was doing the code red.

• Like 1