DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXXV - 7/30/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Loved Becky's Joshi gear.

Bayley is back. So is Dakota Kai oddly enough. Iyo Skye called up. New NXT themed  faction.

I was thinking about they should let Liv retain but protect Ronda. Hive mind.

Good to see future president kane.

The main event was great.

so the main event was batshit insane for several reasons and basically they had to find a way to beat Brock short of committing a serious crime

Ronda is presumably evil again

The Usos will reign forever

Edge is back, with fire

They're trying to find some way to wrap up Theory's MITB storyline

Logan Paul is apparently a babyface?

Also, we got some returns and Becky isn't a heel anymore

Jeff Jarrett keeping busy this weekend?

As far as big shows go, that was a wild time

The part of the main event where I was wincing about where that tractor was located was sorta justified, although that was probably a reminder to not bump in the gimmicked part of the ring

Earlier on I will admit being an idiot and thinking "what if that tips over while Brock is in it", like it's not a big fucking tractor with a base made to handle a lot of weight.

Good show. Started off red hot with a really good Bianca vs. Lynch match, Bianca hit a wild Spanish fly into the finish I got out my seat for that !  Then Bayley!!  What is this Dakota back and Io called up, new stable!!!

The middle portion of the show was hit or miss but booked fairly well.

Last Man Standing turned into a great spectacle. Slow start but my God the tractor spot was ridiculous! Can't believe Roman did that.. incredible 

Couple other notes,  Michael Cole was on fire. Dissing Graves all night, references to matches from 30 years ago..called a great main event, "what is this man made of!!!" He was great and also threw a lil shade on Vince.

Triple H had some fingerprints on the show for sure. Loved the impromptu promo from Drew that was a callback. 

I'm satisfied with this.

• Like 2

Cole seemed like a new man.

Week 1 Hunter got Bayley back,  resigned and called up Io, and brought back Dakota.  And a fuckton of people are in town foe Starrcast.  What's Monday gonna look like?

I'm always here for heel Ronda but weird that they would turn her when she has a legit gripe. And weird that they would have their babyface champ Liv look so weak and complicit. Maybe this all gets sorted out on Friday?

I had a feeling Bayley would show up. But both Dakota and Iyo (I can't believe they're still doing that mess) were a nice surprise. 

Becky/Bianca was fantastic and easily is MOTY for WWE right now. Loved seeing Bayley return. Dakota & Io were great and welcome surprises considering one was released and the other was seemingly about to let her contract run out. Becky turning face here was probably the right move though I'm going to miss slowly going crazy heel Becky. Its easily been her best character in WWE.

Miz/LP was way the fuck better than it had any right to be. Like it was legit good and probably the second best match tonight. Paul looked way the fuck better than he did at Wrestlemania and he looked pretty decent there.

Lashley/Theory was short but nice while it lasted. Dug Theory ending things fast, win or lose, knowing he had to save himself to try and take advantage with the briefcase in the main

Mysterios vs. Judgement Day was solid.

Pat/Corbin was solid as well. That dropkick is the first time I can recall Corbin leaving his feet to hit a move in a match.

Usos/Profits was good, but the wrong team won. Even if the plan is a Ford singles run it feels like Profits should have gone over.

Liv/Ronda went about as a expected though they should have just had Liv pin Ronda instead of giving Ronda a legit complaint. Hopefully we get a full blown hele turn with her trying to murder Liv on Smackdown.

The main even was kind of insane and ridiculous in good and bad ways. Definitely more of a spectacle than a good match. Still probably the second best match Roman and Brock have had.

A lot of solid-good wrestling with some complaints focused more on some of the booking than anything else. You can definitely feel Hunter's hands in this to a degree though it isn't NXT Black and Gold which is fine.

1 minute ago, Jamal said:

I'm always here for heel Ronda but weird that they would turn her when she has a legit gripe. And weird that they would have their babyface champ Liv look so weak and complicit. Maybe this all gets sorted out on Friday?

I had a feeling Bayley would show up. But both Dakota and Iyo (I can't believe they're still doing that mess) were a nice surprise. 

I actually don't think she does have a legit gripe, I think it was a failure in announcing.

It was fine for Graves to be screaming Liv tapped before the 3, being the nominal heel announcer but Cole should absolutely have been countering that Rhonda allowed herself to get put in a pinning predicament and the ref was obviously going to move focus to her shoulders being on the mat. Liv definitely looked weak, but that could have been mitigated by saying she saw the position that Rhonda was in and maneuvered her into a pin

• Like 1