DVDVR Message Board

I HEREBY DECLARE TODAY "LARIAT DAY~!"

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

I remember Cena used to semi lariat people. I believe he stopped/lightened up after Miz couldn't remember their WM match.

I remember this too. He used to blast people with clotheslines at times and it was pretty awesome (well for a viewer, maybe not for his opponent). My buddy and I used to do a weekly watchalong during the early months of the pandemic and we watched some older Cena matches. 04-08 main event Cena was a very different worker than post-arm injury Cena. He was a way bigger superstar from 08 on but I thought he was a much more interesting albeit less polished in-ring guy prior to that.

That said, I remember him absolutely flattening D-Bry with a lariat in their Summerslam match and it was awesome.

john-cena-wwe.gif

• Like 3

7 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I remember this too. He used to blast people with clotheslines at times and it was pretty awesome (well for a viewer, maybe not for his opponent). My buddy and I used to do a weekly watchalong during the early months of the pandemic and we watched some older Cena matches. 04-08 main event Cena was a very different worker than post-arm injury Cena. He was a way bigger superstar from 08 on but I thought he was a much more interesting albeit less polished in-ring guy prior to that.

That said, I remember him absolutely flattening D-Bry with a lariat in their Summerslam match and it was awesome.

john-cena-wwe.gif

I fucking love Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena from SummerSlam 2013. A ***** match, John Cena's best match ever. 2013 MOTY. What a way to debut a move that would become a finisher putting down the man clean as a sheet:

Y4HD5mQ=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Eivion said:

I remember Cena used to semi lariat people. I believe he stopped/lightened up after Miz couldn't remember their WM match.

I think the Miz concussion came when Cena kind of spear tackled him over the railing. He still threw mean ass clotheslines in big matches. Cena always had a general understanding of what to do to get matches over, his execution was awkward at times. 

Of course this thread starts and ends with Stan Hansen. Kobashi I'd put 2nd place, especially the Short range version. Bradshaw's Clothesline from hell / New York was quite good aswell. More recently, Walter had a good one. 

I loved Tenryu, but his lariat was never convincing in any way to me. 

If we count the Axe Bomber variations, Omori has Hogan beat easily. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Sammo~! said:

3980962451a02f77dfa319c8d24ab232.gif

I wish I could find a gif of it but I remember Animal ripping Bobby Eaton's head off with a nice lariat in the match where The Road Warriors won the titles from The Midnight Express in 88.