DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JULY 2022

The Natural

Are we willing things into existence for Dynamite/Rampage this week? I'm not after much: Just a Jayme Hayter match please.

I'll take a tag with Britt if I have to but Jayme just clubbering someone would be appreciated.

Also more Danhausen.

My wife loves this guy. We got some new pillows (those kick ass memory cushion things) and when I told her they were "very nice" she said:

"Yes. Very nice... Very eeeevil... Pillowhausen."

That's when I died.

• Like 7
  • Haha 8

According to Andrew Zarian on WOL, Warner would love for AEW to do more PPVs next year. There's no pressure or demands for it, but they are encourgaing it.

As I'm thinking about it, they definitely have a robust enough roster to churn out more papes, but that worries me that the TV product will suffer in turn. The beauty of having 12 weeks between those events is not having to throw Hangman or Punk out there every single week. It allows spots for the Gunn Club or Takeshita to grow as performers in front of the entire audience.

They're currently at 5 if we count AEW x NJPW, so maybe they could add a 6th - but then that bungles the entire schedule they've already set up. Unless you move Forbidden Door to July (and if NJPW does FD for Wrestle Kingdom, the events would be 6 months apart. Perfect) make January a PPV month and then you're set.

January- ?

March- Revolution (moving up a few weeks from February)

May- Double or Nothing

July- Forbidden Door (AEWxNJPW)

September- All Out

November- Full Gear

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

According to Andrew Zarian on WOL, Warner would love for AEW to do more PPVs next year. There's no pressure or demands for it, but they are encourgaing it.

i don't know why Warner would want more PPVs. AFAIK they don't get a cut of buys. unless tv episodes related to a PPV draw a significantly better rating or a better percentage of the demographic? is it just something as simple as better audience engagement? just trying to figure out where Warner benefits.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i don't know why Warner would want more PPVs. AFAIK they don't get a cut of buys. unless tv episodes related to a PPV draw a significantly better rating or a better percentage of the demographic? is it just something as simple as better audience engagement? just trying to figure out where Warner benefits.

Warner owns B/R. They get a percentage of all PPVs bought through B/R, just like traditional PPVs get split with the cable companies. Probably not nearly as big of a percentage as cable and satellite get with traditional PPVs. But it's all free money for them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, tbarrie said:

I think they already hit the sweet spot with four, honestly.

I'm happy with four or five. No more than. By having so few you get a longer build towards the PPV but the biggest perk, PPV level TV matches. Themed episodes to accompany them. Most of my Best AEW Matches list is made up of TV matches. When I get round to doing one for WWE, very few if any TV will make it.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Jenalysis said:

6.  The 6th one should be the Owen, or an all-women's PPV.

I'd love a little more structure/stakes for The Owen. Winners should be getting title matches.

In fact, I think a great idea would be to highlight that Owen was taken before he could win a world title and that, going forward, The Owen is going to be a tournament for people who have never been world champion. This is their way of sling-shotting themselves into a title match and the upper card pay windah.

• Like 2

If it's compromised of people who haven't won a World title in AEW, then that's like 99% of their roster.

If it's outside of AEW as well, then that number maybe goes down to like 90% or some shit.

I love that some of AEW's PPV-level cards are done on Dynamite as special episodes, but I'd like to see some more regularity and consistency as to when they occur. For example, it's tough when St. Patrick's Day Slam is so close to Revolution in March. Narrowing it down to a consistent event schedule would give each show more of its own identity. If I were a kid watching nowadays, I'd wanna know I can count on Blood and Guts every July the same way I looked forward to War Games every September. Example:

January - New Year's Smash (TV)
February - Beach Break (TV)
March - Revolution (PPV)
April - Road Rager (TV)
May - Double or Nothing (PPV)
June - Forbidden Door (PPV)
July - Blood and Guts (TV)
August - All Out (PPV)
September - Grand Slam (TV)
October - Anniversary Show (TV)
November - Full Gear (PPV)
December - Winter is Coming (TV)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

I know there's a ROH PPV around the corner but I really don't want AEW TV to just be building to that.  Unless Briscoes. 

Seconded. I obviously know no more than anyone else, but I have to wonder if there's any internal cutoff date designated where TK says to himself, ok I still don't have TV, let's either A) unify the titles and shut it down or B) Elevation is ROH TV now.

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

I wrote a bunch of words about Blood and Guts and Royal Rampage apparently:

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2022/07/aew-five-fingers-of-death-week-of-627-73.html

For a guy like Swerve, it's both. His off-center, contrived, flowing, cooperative offense bugs me and takes me out of every match

Yes, this.  Thanks!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Seconded. I obviously know no more than anyone else, but I have to wonder if there's any internal cutoff date designated where TK says to himself, ok I still don't have TV, let's either A) unify the titles and shut it down or B) Elevation is ROH TV now.

Or turn ROH into HUSTLE~!

If TK really wants an ROH tv deal he’d be better off just putting the belt on an ex WWE wrestler and shopping it around with them all over the promotional art. It’s cynical and shitty, but so is only featuring certain wrestlers on tv in ads about how progressive TK is for hiring them.