DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JULY 2022

The Natural

I know there are some Gresham fans on this board, but they really should get the title off of him. Trying to get a TV contract when your champion is 5'4 has got to be tricky. Listening to Tony Khan it sounds like the original idea for Claudio was for him to be a surprise debut at the PPV and be a big part of ROH. Set up Gresham vs. Claudio, have Claudio win and that solves some problems

'''

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Since Claudio is in BCC he's probably not going to a secondary show though. Christian would be a good choice but he just turned. Matt Hardy is broke down. Who else they got that's ex-WWE and expendable?

Not so fast. Yuta's the ROH Pure Champion and being primed for a PPV match with Garcia for the belt.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Since Claudio is in BCC he's probably not going to a secondary show though. Christian would be a good choice but he just turned. Matt Hardy is broke down. Who else they got that's ex-WWE and expendable?

Keith Lee?

• Like 3

Beat me to it.

Gresham had a video package on Rampage with words concerning who the best technical wrestler is. The visual was clips of both Danielson and Claudio. I'm assuming they're having a match, and I don't see Claudio dropping the fall. I do hope if this is the PPV bout that TK breaks his World Title goes last rule, and gives Joe-Lethal or an FTR match the nod. Especially if by some lucky chance that FTR match is FTR-Briscoes II.  

• Like 2

Came to see if that promo was shared yet. So good. 
Guys proved they don’t need to be just jokes. They can do blood feuds too. Amazing. So glad to see them on the big stage after their chikara run. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No shit, that Menard promo was one of the best I've ever heard. The content, the visuals, the genuine emotion.. can't remember the last promo that had all 3. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's a tiny little thing. A 3 minute video. But it builds, so so so much into who this guy is and why he's doing the things he's doing.

Imagine in 12 month's time, the JAS are fighting with say Andrade, RUSH etc and they end up in another Blood & Guts match.

And Matt Menard says "No".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Man, Gresham is such a black hole of a charisma. I really don't even know how you fix it. Fucking Dean Malenko was one of my favorite wrestlers and maybe my favorite wrestler when he was killing it as a Cruiserweight and US champion in WCW. He never said a word. He did have this sort of physical charisma though that just made him so compelling to watch. I have tried thinking of Gresham in that way and he just doesn't have it. He's a great technician, but he has a total inability to be remotely compelling. Him talking only makes it worse. Someone compared him to a dude that does your taxes. More than anything he just reminds me of the plethora of UFC guys that are horribly, horribly bland and that would get owned at pre fight press conferences.

• Like 4

Man, Gresham is such a black hole of a charisma. I really don't even know how you fix it. Fucking Dean Malenko was one of my favorite wrestlers and maybe my favorite wrestler when he was killing it as a Cruiserweight and US champion in WCW. He never said a word. He did have this sort of physical charisma though that just made him so compelling to watch. I have tried thinking of Gresham in that way and he just doesn't have it. He's a great technician, but he has a total inability to be remotely compelling. Him talking only makes it worse. Someone compared him to a dude that does your taxes. More than anything he just reminds me of the plethora of UFC guys that are horribly, horribly bland and that would get owned at pre fight press conferences.

What little I've seen of him in the ring I like.

I think he would benefit greatly from adopting a 'silent killer' type attitude, getting a manager etc.

13 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

This fucking guy is an absolute stallion.

You see, these are the kinds of guys Jericho needs around him. Do you doubt for a second that this guy wouldn't jump on a grenade if it meant saving Jericho? He sure as hell puts the Appreciation in Jericho Appreciation Society!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dog said:

I'm actually really impressed with how Gresham carries himself on the mic. He has an air of earned confidence.

?‍♂️

Absolutely. I hadn't heard him speak a whole lot before this current run, but from what I did hear he's come some ways in the last while. Weak to bury the guy for falling into the World Title position. Nobody's gonna argue he's the Main Event guy or promotion leader going into the future. That said, he will certainly find his place on the card, likely somewhere in the hunt for the Pure Title, and be a nice contributor for the new ROH. Also, I get the impression he'd be a solid hand backstage for the development of new talent.