DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JULY 2022

The Natural

We've reached the halfway mark of 2022, and to mark it, how about we dish out some awards?

Mine:

Wrestler of the Year: Bryan Danielson. Honourable mentions to Jon Moxley and CM Punk.

Match of the Year. Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Dynamite, 6th January. *****. Honourable mention to MJF vs. CM Punk on AEW Dynamite, 2nd February. ***** and the Dog Collar rematch on AEW Revolution, 6th March *****.

Tag Team of the Year: #FTR. Easy pick.

Card of the Year: AEW X NJPW Forbidden Door. Great top to bottom show. AEW Revolution had three better matches in Punk/MJF (*****), Moxley/Danielson and Kingston/Jericho but the former was more consistent across the board.

Women's Wrestler of the Year: I'll think on. Between Jade Cargill, Dr. Britt Baker, Thunder Rosa and Serena Deeb.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Jeff Hardy is pleading innocent to the dui charge, so anyone who was expecting him to admit he needs help and take responsibility, well, fooled again.

I actually saw a Florida woman explain the reasoning for this on Twitter yesterday. I guess in their state's DUI/drug court, they'll often throw you in jail for 30 days to clean up before doing anything else with your case. What his attorney is doing via the not guilty plea is buying time for him to go to rehab, so they can hopefully avoid the 30 days in jail pre-trial by saying he's already dried out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, AxB said:

According to the match graphic, the entrants in the Royal Rampage are (left to right):

1. Kazarian
  2. Silver 
  3. Orange Cassidy
  4. Rush
  5. Hangman
  6. Takeshita
  7. Penta
  8. Hobbs
  9. Starks
  10. Keith Lee
  11. Swerve
  12. Darby
  13. Blader
  14. Dustin Rhodes
  15. Butcher
  16. Caster
  17. Nese
  18. Matt Hardy
  19. Dante
  20. Brody King

Although debuting a surprise entrant on a taped show is a bad idea, so no hassle.

It's crazy that there are mode upper midcarders and tippy top guys in this battle royal than the first one for interim title contendership.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zendragon said:

So they are actually doing it rumble style then? if so my interest level went way up

Yes, it's Rumble style with the 2 rings. It was a very fun match and Tony Khan came out to hype it up before the start of Rampage so we knew what was going on.

• Like 4

Wheeler Yuta went from “job guy in Best Friends”, known mostly for crawling through opponents legs, to asskicker and third most over guy in Blood and Guts. He’s my AEW WotY nominee.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, zendragon said:

So they are actually doing it rumble style then? if so my interest level went way up

Ditto.

1 hour ago, porksweats said:

Yes, it's Rumble style with the 2 rings. It was a very fun match and Tony Khan came out to hype it up before the start of Rampage so we knew what was going on.

Nice. Cheers!

Mox is my Men’s Wrestler of the Year so far, I’ve got seven of his matches on the shortlist for MOTY. Dragon, Eddie, Allin, Punk, Garcia, Dustin, Yuta, Joe, and Hobbs all get nods. Special recognition to Jericho adding another chapter to his legacy and Sting for being the best Hardy brother of 2022. Asterisk that Takeshita isn’t All Elite but has had some bangers on tv. 

Hayter is my Women’s Wrestler of the Year with Stat close behind.  Storm, Nyla, Martinez, Deeb, Emi, Legit Leyla, Rosa, Soho, and Riho are in the convo. Special shout to Red Velvet for most improved. 

Kingston/Jericho was my favorite PPV match, and Mox/Yuta was my favorite tv match.

FTR wins the FTR Award. 

Revolution was my show of the year, even if I have no recollection of the main and won’t revisit it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

Mox is my Men’s Wrestler of the Year so far, I’ve got seven of his matches on the shortlist for MOTY. Dragon, Eddie, Allin, Punk, Garcia, Dustin, Yuta, Joe, and Hobbs all get nods. Special recognition to Jericho adding another chapter to his legacy and Sting for being the best Hardy brother of 2022. Asterisk that Takeshita isn’t All Elite but has had some bangers on tv. 

Hayter is my Women’s Wrestler of the Year with Stat close behind.  Storm, Nyla, Martinez, Deeb, Emi, Legit Leyla, Rosa, Soho, and Riho are in the convo. Special shout to Red Velvet for most improved. 

Kingston/Jericho was my favorite PPV match, and Mox/Yuta was my favorite tv match.

FTR wins the FTR Award. 

Revolution was my show of the year, even if I have no recollection of the main and won’t revisit it. 

Adam Page vs. Adam Cole.

Adam won.

On 6/30/2022 at 8:54 PM, The Natural said:

We've reached the halfway mark of 2022, and to mark it, how about we dish out some awards?

Mine:

Wrestler of the Year: Bryan Danielson. Honourable mentions to Jon Moxley and CM Punk.

Match of the Year. Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Dynamite, 6th January. *****. Honourable mention to MJF vs. CM Punk on AEW Dynamite, 2nd February. ***** and the Dog Collar rematch on AEW Revolution, 6th March *****.

Tag Team of the Year: #FTR. Easy pick.

Card of the Year: AEW X NJPW Forbidden Door. Great top to bottom show. AEW Revolution had three better matches in Punk/MJF (*****), Moxley/Danielson and Kingston/Jericho but the former was more consistent across the board.

Women's Wrestler of the Year: I'll think on. Between Jade Cargill, Dr. Britt Baker, Thunder Rosa and Serena Deeb.

Time is a false concept so I'm trying to think what in the last half year.

Male wrestler: Dax, no one has been more consistent both with his run of singles matches and his tag matches. just constant solid work, plus a very underrated promo and great character work as well. Really makes all those belts seem like a big deal.

Tag team: see above

Show: caveat I don't watch the PPV's but I thought the go home Dynamite before Forbidden Door was an almost perfect two hours of wrestling.

Match: again this excludes PPV matches as I didn't see them but MJF v. Punk on Dynamite was a great mix of storytelling, feud progression and in ring work.

Female wrestler: Toni Storm. She's like Dax a really consistent body of work, Serena Deeb has been good but somewhat infrequent, I'm a big fan of Rosa but she's been spotty. Honorable mention to Ruby as she's very consistent week in and week out

Rookie: Julia Hart I stand by my statement that she's the best thing in The Varsity Blondes (although I think Griff has solid potential), and I believe Hook would be 2021 rookie of the year. Also if we go by The Grammies rule "achieved a breakthrough into the public consciousness". LardLad gets an Honorable mention both for match quality and getting himself over.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, zendragon said:

Time is a false concept so I'm trying to think what in the last half year.

Male wrestler: Dax, no one has been more consistent both with his run of singles matches and his tag matches. just constant solid work, plus a very underrated promo and great character work as well. Really makes all those belts seem like a big deal.

Tag team: see above

Show: caveat I don't watch the PPV's but I thought the go home Dynamite before Forbidden Door was an almost perfect two hours of wrestling.

Match: again this excludes PPV matches as I didn't see them but MJF v. Punk on Dynamite was a great mix of storytelling, feud progression and in ring work.

Female wrestler: Toni Storm. She's like Dax a really consistent body of work, Serena Deeb has been good but somewhat infrequent, I'm a big fan of Rosa but she's been spotty. Honorable mention to Ruby as she's very consistent week in and week out

Rookie: Julia Hart I stand by my statement that she's the best thing in The Varsity Blondes (although I think Griff has solid potential), and I believe Hook would be 2021 rookie of the year. Also if we go by The Grammies rule "achieved a breakthrough into the public consciousness". LardLad gets an Honorable mention both for match quality and getting himself over.

Thank you. Can't believe I forgot to give Dax Harwood an honourable mention for WOTY. Fucked up there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AEW Youtube Awards

Best Match: Konosuke Takeshita v. Nick Comorodo 

Male wrestler: You guessed it.... Frankie Kazarian. really solid stuff from the vet everytime out. bonus points for his iMPACT stuff being up on youtube

Women Wrestler : Mercedes Martinez & Serena Deeb as the AEW Dark Stretching Crew

Rookie: Skye Blue 

• Like 2