Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

July 2022 Wrestling Discussion


Recommended Posts

Just now, Casey said:

An iron man match with Val Venis is either a euphemism for his porn gimmick, or a nightmare considering how he's good at, like, 7 minute matches and that's about it.

I'm pretty sure that's why he was forever used as their lab rat for tryout dark matches. Apparently, if you cannot have a good 5 minute match with Val Venis, you shouldn't be in WWF.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gordlow said:

I actually spoke to Wally Yamaguchi about that, and he explained that Val Venis' matches are in fact way longer than average

...but they shrunk.

Did they get chopped by editing or...?

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gordlow said:

I actually spoke to Wally Yamaguchi about that, and he explained that Val Venis' matches are in fact way longer than average

...but they shrunk.

 

25 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Did they get chopped by editing or...?

Val Penis.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Watching Great American Bash 1988 and black glove clawhold Barry Windham should've had a run with the NWA title. Don't know how they would've gotten the strap on him but he was on fire.

My low key favorite part of Bash 88 was after Ronnie Garvin helped Barry beat Dusty, they did a locker room interview where JJ pays off Ronnie and he rubs the cash all over himself. So ridiculously sleazy. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Infinit said:

My low key favorite part of Bash 88 was after Ronnie Garvin helped Barry beat Dusty, they did a locker room interview where JJ pays off Ronnie and he rubs the cash all over himself. So ridiculously sleazy. 

Not sure how commonly known this is but back in the days of tape trading there was a tape going around of the Great American Bash 88 backstage tour. It showed the guys drinking, smoking in the locker room. Almost like a shoot before short interviews were even thought of. It's probably on Youtube now.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, onelegbrynn said:

The only of the early Mania shows I have in my bottom five is WrestleMania 5. I watched it recently and it’s such a slog to get though  

In my "King of New York" book, I did an experiment where I cut six matches out of this show. It helped a lot!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Not sure how commonly known this is but back in the days of tape trading there was a tape going around of the Great American Bash 88 backstage tour. It showed the guys drinking, smoking in the locker room. Almost like a shoot before short interviews were even thought of. It's probably on Youtube now.  

It is, there were also clips of it used in the Road Warriors' DSOTR episode.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Gorman said:

In my "King of New York" book, I did an experiment where I cut six matches out of this show. It helped a lot!

Garvin-Bravo

Andre-Jake

Rooster-Heenan

Dibiase-Beefcake

Duggan-Bad News

Bushwhackers-Rougeaus (I guess, but I wouldn't take that out myself)

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Not sure how commonly known this is but back in the days of tape trading there was a tape going around of the Great American Bash 88 backstage tour. It showed the guys drinking, smoking in the locker room. Almost like a shoot before short interviews were even thought of. It's probably on Youtube now.  

Is this the Jimmy Garvin fancam or is that different?  At one point years ago, I had a backstage fancam supposedly shot by Garvin that outed some of the talent’s drinking, drugging, and womanizing.  It’s been so long since I saw it that I barely remember what is on it, but a decade or two ago, it was considered sort of shocking.  Supposedly, some of the locker room was unhappy Garvin shot it and let it get out.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Garvin-Bravo

Andre-Jake

Rooster-Heenan

Dibiase-Beefcake

Duggan-Bad News

Bushwhackers-Rougeaus (I guess, but I wouldn't take that out myself)

Oops, I guess it was five matches. From Page 29:

"Now, let’s cut down some of these matches to make WrestleMania V a better show. These five matches are out:

  • Hercules vs. King Haku
  • Bushwhackers vs. Rougeau Brothers
  • Ronnie Garvin vs. Dino Bravo
  • Hart Foundation vs. (Future) Rhythm & Blues
  • Hacksaw Jim Duggan vs. Bad News Brown"
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Gorman said:

Oops, I guess it was five matches. From Page 29:

"Now, let’s cut down some of these matches to make WrestleMania V a better show. These five matches are out:

  • Hercules vs. King Haku
  • Bushwhackers vs. Rougeau Brothers
  • Ronnie Garvin vs. Dino Bravo
  • Hart Foundation vs. (Future) Rhythm & Blues
  • Hacksaw Jim Duggan vs. Bad News Brown"

Right, so not that far off!  But for the sake of how future turned out, I wouldn't cut out a match with Bret Hart. Rougeaus rule so much that they almost made Bushwhackers bearable (and they weren't at their most unbearable yet, at that point). Hercules vs King Haku was a good match that should not be cut in order to improve the overall quality, but OK.

Edited by Shartnado
Corrections
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That would be interesting overall;  cutting out the flab from the first decade of Wrestlemanias and then assembling those cut matches into the worst possible Wrestlemania.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

Not sure how commonly known this is but back in the days of tape trading there was a tape going around of the Great American Bash 88 backstage tour. It showed the guys drinking, smoking in the locker room. Almost like a shoot before short interviews were even thought of. It's probably on Youtube now.  

Yes Jimmy Garvin shot those vids with his camcorder. I think a bulk of what we have on YouTube is from a west coast (Oakland maybe?) GAB show. Great stuff!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Gorman

@Shartnado

I personally wouldn't cut out King Haku vs. Hercules as that was a pretty solid match between two brutes throwing Haymakers and ultimately it came down to some technical ability to seal it. 

I'd have to keep Andre vs. Jake Roberts as well for the star power. There was a lot of intrigue there although the match itself wasn't great, Andre could barely move. 

I'd also keep Hart Foundation vs. Valentine and Honky because Bret was putting on a wrestling clinic for as short as it was and it was pretty short anyway. 

I'm with you on cutting out Bad News Brown vs. Duggan, Garvin vs. Bravo and Heenan vs. Red Rooster. 

I'd also cut down the alloted time for Piper's Pit. It took FOREVER to get to the point. 

If you cut those three matches and some of Piper you can get the show down to right around three hours. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Niners Fan in CT Yes, no one would actually cut Andre-Jake, as it was among the featured matches and the feud had been brewing since the post-SummerSlam'88 Saturday Night's Main Event. It's just a really bad match. The workrate you had come to expect from an '89 Andre, just wasn't there that night (or any other night).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Speaking of builds, I happen to watch some Prime Time Wrestling in the leadup to Mania V months back in preparation for watching that show. The segment where Steve Lombardi debuts as Heenan's heavy is an all-timer (in a good way). If Lombardi could actually work beyond being a mid level enhancement talent who sometimes gets to beat S.D. Jones in matches that go 5 minutes too long and Terry Taylor wasn't the Red Rooster, that could have been something much more.

It's crazy they wasted something so great on **let me check again**...Brooklyn Brawler vs. The Red Rooster.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Speaking of builds, I happen to watch some Prime Time Wrestling in the leadup to Mania V months back in preparation for watching that show. The segment where Steve Lombardi debuts as Heenan's heavy is an all-timer (in a good way). If Lombardi could actually work beyond being a mid level enhancement talent who sometimes gets to beat S.D. Jones in matches that go 5 minutes too long and Terry Taylor wasn't the Red Rooster, that could have been something much more.

It's crazy they wasted something so great on **let me check again**...Brooklyn Brawler vs. The Red Rooster.

I saw a recap of that on an episode of Superstars, I believe. Heenan apologizes to Rooster, then proceeds to slap him and berate him more and Brawler attacks with a wooden chair, knocking out Gorilla Monsoon in the process. Pretty intense stuff!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

I saw a recap of that on an episode of Superstars, I believe. Heenan apologizes to Rooster, then proceeds to slap him and berate him more and Brawler attacks with a wooden chair, knocking out Gorilla Monsoon in the process. Pretty intense stuff!

They spent the entire show building that up and that last segment is just Heenan re-introducing Lombardi as the Brooklyn Brawler and gloating going off the air. Just amazing.

FYI for those who don't remember, I believe Gorilla brought Rooster in to sit on the show as a guest just to antagonize Heenan between matches. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...