DVDVR Message Board

July 2022 Wrestling Discussion

9 hours ago, username said:

I am actually rather curious what would happen if an AEW wrestler just publicly went on twitter and requested their release. Legally they'd be stuck but given how much AEW's audience was likely strongly opposed to WWE not releasing talents in similar situations I wonder if it'd just be easier to let them go than take the image hit.

This is more just random musings than thinking any of the big AEW names are close to doing that (not even MJF IMO), I just used Miro and Keith because they were mentioned a couple posts before mine.

I'd imagine they'd likely just let the guy/woman go. I've listened to a lot of former NBA/NFL players talk about this issue and the rising number of players who demand trades nowadays. If the guy is going to be a malcontent, it's better for both parties to part ways. You do run the risk of "inmates running the asylum" but you also don't want things to turn super ugly and spread to other parts of your locker room.

• Like 1

Let's not forget, one of the main issues with WWE not releasing those who want them is that the same company will fire people at any moment, for seemingly any reason. They're completely hypocritical when it comes to "honoring" contracts. If AEW starts randomly firing 20 people on any given Friday, then that'll be more comparable. 

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, username said:

I mean you don't have to offer Keith/Miro/whoever a million a year to come back as I'd be gobsmacked if AEW is paying them anywhere near that. Wyatt and Braun were very much "you guys cost way too much and have to go" where getting them to come back would likely cost big bucks (although with the way CYN is panning out perhaps not for Braun...), if those fellas like and trust HHH and say $400k/year tops what AEW pays then that may be enough to both get them back and not knock the budget out of whack.

I would guess $400/year is about the range both Miro & Keith Lee are at in their AEW contracts. Probably what they were at in WWE as well when they were let go. So offering them the same to come back to a place they had bad experiences at isn't going to cut it. That's why I was jumping the numbers up to $1mil. That's enough money to show hey we're sorry, we care about you, you're valuable to us, and it's not going to happen again. To prove it we'd be doubling what you last made here.

Because let's be honest, if the money offer is the same at both AEW & WWE why would anyone ever pick WWE?? You get less creative freedom and you work way more. Why would anyone take the same money to be home less? And at contract renewal if AEW is happy with their work, they would increase the rate of most guys too. So that $400/year is not gonna cut it to get those guys back.

13 hours ago, Dog said:

Do you guys think AEW contracts are written on cocktail napkins or something? Miro JUST re-signed, for FOUR YEARS.

I'm very aware of that. This discussion, at least from my POV, is meant to be at renewal time for both Miro & Lee. Miro is 4 years away and I think Lee is 4.5 years away. That's a long time away. And things will certainly change in the landscape by then. But my argument still stands if / when they come back once their deals are up. Where is the job security? WWE is the land of random releases. I don't understand why anyone AEW is paying well would ever jump to WWE. It's a case of making $X for sure for 5 years vs making $X for however long they arbitrarily decide they want you. It's a no brainer to me.

• Like 1

The other thing is the point that those conversations are easier to have without Vince around.

Hypothetically, if Miro was on a short term deal he would be more receptive to talks with Trips than they would have been with the previous regime.

And how stupid does Regal's release look in the current situation? He would have been very useful right about now.

• Like 3

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

This discussion, at least from my POV, is meant to be at renewal time for both Miro & Lee. Miro is 4 years away and I think Lee is 4.5 years away. That's a long time away.

Not to mention that when those timeframes occur, Miro will be either 40 or 41 and Keith Lee will be either 41 or 42.

AEW's currently lighter schedule might mean there will be more tread left on the tires but that's still a pretty tough age to give a wrestler a high dollar/high year contract, even if it's a make-good contract from the one that they were released from previously.

Assuming they even want to go back in the first place.

i'm guessing promotions won't be friendly enough with each other to trade contracts at any time in the future

although there were rumors that the WWF and WCW could have made a deal in 1993 where the WWF got Lex Luger in the wrestling side of things in-exchange for Ric Flair returning to WCW

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder if that could have been a deal with Vince and Watts, where Vince would have not done that with Herd, Frey or Bischoff. 

Probably was, but there so much turnover in WCW at that time and friction that I doubt it would have ever came together. By the time Flair was ready to go back, Herd was long gone. However, it was clear that Watts had made so many enemies backstage and in corporate that he himself was on borrowed time. He was brought in specifically to turn WCW around (and he was one of the names bandied about years prior for that same role when Crockett sold to Turner), and that wasn't happening. Keep in mind, between that, Frey was brought basically to be there a temporary person in charge. I don't think Kip was ever there to be the long-term boss. Even if Watts never did that Torch interview with Madden, it was looking like he wouldn't make it through 1993. So when ole Jughead (as Bischoff calls him) got fired for his latent casual racism, Bill Shaw was basically the boss and there was likely no way he was gonna cut a deal with Vince. However, due to Bischoff being head of TV/not being too fond of the southern vibe of the commentary and Shaw taking JR off television to do syndication sales, Vince did eventually get his PBP man out of that.

The funniest thing here is Ross forgave everyone (from Russo/Ferrara to Jesse Ventura to Bischoff), but he still hates the living fuck out of Bill Shaw. Shaw taking a shot at his commentary still sticks in his craw.

Dana Warrior departed WWE creative several months ago, she was brought in on the creative team in 2019.

The Day 1 PLE returns next year.

Seems Bayley's new unit may be named "Control".