DVDVR Message Board

July 2022 Wrestling Discussion

1 hour ago, EVA said:

They inducted Billy Gunn with DX while he was in AEW, so I don’t think that’s totally off the table.

Yeah, I was thinking about that too when I brought up that they may not care about inducting people with Impact associations anymore, but then I looked it up and the year DX were inducted was when AEW had only just been announced that January with the rally, they hadn't run a show yet. So you're totally right about that, but it might be looked at as a way different situation at this point In AEW's lifespan

Also, I'm realizing now, I'm not even 100% sure Dreamer is with Impact anymore, the whole thing might be moot. I just assumed they wouldn't care since they brought Mickie James in for that rumble

41 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

If it’s a way for them to induct Scorpio, I’m all for it. 

Excellent call. I'm surprised he's not in yet given he spent time with all three companies. I wish the WWF had done more with him post-Flash Funk, I remember really liking his short lived tag team with Terry Funk as a kid

8 hours ago, Technico Support said:

• Why would HTM guard his spot against Savage, only to agree to a much more damaging job, a squash, later?

Supposedly the idea of a Squash came from HTM himself as he didn't feel comfortable working a longer match with Warrior

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I just assume no one on the concussion lawsuit list is getting in. That includes Scorpio.

But eventually they will need a black wrestler to induct, so his odds are not that bad.

i've been low key looking for this video for a long ass time. found it today and had to upload to youtube. 

from WWF Mania, 11/5/94, here is Luna Vachon marrying the Vampire Warrior (aka Gangrel)!

• Like 3

I think history shows that Vince has liked having guys do an initial run with the IC title as a heel, then have a do-over as a face that solidifies them as a top guy. 

Did it with Shawn, Perfect challenged for it, tried doing it with HHH but he got injured, and I think Rock's run is pretty similar.

I suspect Savage would have been the initial one here. What would make most sense to me is that a lot of plans just ended up happening a year later instead:
- Savage beats Dibiase while still IC champ (because I can't see Savage dropping another major fall before becoming champ). 
- IC title gets vacated, Warrior beats Honky in the finals at Summerslam
- If Hogan comes back - you get the Mega Powers match at #6, if he doesn't, you run Savage vs Warrior instead - either in the context of Mania 5 with the Ultimate Maniacs exploding and Savage as a heel, or Mania 6 with Savage in the Hogan role (two Manias running with the babyface holding both belts and vacating one though?), or even 7 comes early and you do the retirement match.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Heyman would be the HoF headliner, right? Would be a must-watch induction speech 

Heyman, with Dreamer doing the induction. So he can tell the story about how he was gonna assassinate Paul at WMX7.

30 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i've been low key looking for this video for a long ass time. found it today and had to upload to youtube. 

from WWF Mania, 11/5/94, here is Luna Vachon marrying the Vampire Warrior (aka Gangrel)!

It's a weird seeing them show Luna out of character even if it's for 5 seconds. That's kinda random.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

Haven't seen this since a kid. Cheers!

• Like 2

Bought an unopened box of 1991 WCW trading cards off Ebay (surprised there's so many on there and cheap too).

Didn't survive the international flight too well so I'm just opening the packs. 

It's weird how many Southern Boys cards there are in here. 20% of them being Flair, even though he was in the WWF by the time they were printed is pretty on point.

I went to Tiny Lister's Wikipedia page to read up on him after watching Summerslam 1989 and I found out that he had a WWC match against Abdullah the Butcher in PR. That is a total mindfuck and I don't care if it sucks; I had to see it. 

It's this weird thing that has a sense of spectacle even though most of it is Zeus being the bottom-five striker all time that he is. Actually, it's the most fun match that I've ever seen with negative-WAR striking that takes up that much of a match. I guess you can go a long way with a novel matchup, Abby bleeding ASAP, and a crowd brawl. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Career 0-5 record. Never even got a squash win. 

Giant Gonzalez had about 9 or 10 month run in WWF in 1993 and had only about 5 televised matches, which includes a match with Virgil taped for Superstars that so was bad they had to redo it the next day at a Challenge taping. The rest of his WWF matches are house show DQ losses with a few dark match losses sprinkled in. So they didn't even have faith to let him squash people to establish him as a monster.

Tiny Lister was an actor. Giant Gonzalez was a guy who literally got paid to be tall for almost a year.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I think history shows that Vince has liked having guys do an initial run with the IC title as a heel, then have a do-over as a face that solidifies them as a top guy. 

Did it with Shawn, Perfect challenged for it, tried doing it with HHH but he got injured, and I think Rock's run is pretty similar.

I suspect Savage would have been the initial one here. What would make most sense to me is that a lot of plans just ended up happening a year later instead:
- Savage beats Dibiase while still IC champ (because I can't see Savage dropping another major fall before becoming champ). 
- IC title gets vacated, Warrior beats Honky in the finals at Summerslam
- If Hogan comes back - you get the Mega Powers match at #6, if he doesn't, you run Savage vs Warrior instead - either in the context of Mania 5 with the Ultimate Maniacs exploding and Savage as a heel, or Mania 6 with Savage in the Hogan role (two Manias running with the babyface holding both belts and vacating one though?), or even 7 comes early and you do the retirement match.

Thanks, everybody, for pitching in and clearing up my HTM confusion!

I figure the idea might have been DiBiase wins the belt at Mania 4, but then there are maybe some extracurriculars to send the fans home happy.  No idea who he'd go over without jobbing Savage out.  Maybe Andre interferes to give Ted the win, then the Megapowers beat up the Megabucks and pose.

Then Savage chases DiBiase on house shows for the rest of the Spring and Summer, winning the belt at SummerSlam, then we're back on the normal timeline.  This eliminates MegaPowers vs MegaBucks, though, so I'm not sure.  Maybe SummerSlam's co-main is Hogan/Andre 4 in a cage for a final blowoff or something.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

That’s a fair but unfortunate question.

I feel like I'm entertained by the Dark Order when they are on my TV,  but if you asked me to make any of the other members, I'd fail miserably.

The Zeus/Abby match is one of the more notorious pieces of Wrestlecrap. Whatever poor old Tiny (RIP) was trying to do with his hands is unbelievable. 

Watch them induct Dreamer because he defended Flair on Dark Side. 

EDIT:

Edited by Curt McGirt