DVDVR Message Board

July 2022 Wrestling Discussion

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

So I'm still working through old WWF in order (I'm on Summerslam 88) and I just watched HTM/Warrior.  The match was what it was, not much to really comment on it here, but the whole big picture and the inside history that's been sort of accepted just doesn't add up here.

We're talking about apocryphal wrestling tales like the alleged Mania 6 Piper rib where (insert wrestler here) did something to his body dye and he had to go home half black.  But what about the whole HTM/Vince/DiBiase/Savage story?  I'm not so sure I'm down with the accepted narrative.  From what's been said in a few places, Vince wanted HTM to drop the IC title to Savage in late 87/early 88ish (maybe the September 87 SNME?) and DiBiase was supposed to be the winner of the Mania 4 tournament.  But HTM refused (because he figured he'd be done after jobbing) and, as the story goes, Vince went with Savage as the World champ.  I have many questions:

• So was DiBiase going to be the champ from Mania 4 to Mania 5, then lose it to Hogan?  Or was Savage going to win it before Mania 5 to set up the Mega Powers angle?  I mean was the plan for Savage to chase DiBiase on house shows?
  • Were they seriously going to end Mania with a heel victory? 
  • Why would HTM guard his spot against Savage, only to agree to a much more damaging job, a squash, later?
  • Why would a traditionally babyface champion territory go with a heel champion for any length of time?
  • How does the original bracket for Mania 4 figure into all this?  What the hell was the plan with that bracket, anyway?

I just don't see it, especially the stuff about HTM steadfastly refusing to job to Macho, only to allow himself to be squashed less than a year after that.  But I would have loved seeing WWE go full Crockett with Savage and other babyfaces chasing DiBiase throughout 1988.  Thoughts?

Another thing on the show: I FFWD'd through the Brother Love show with Duggan because who needs to watch that?  One weird historic tidbit, though..while WWF was setting up Summerslam the angle was "WHO WILL RANDY GET AS A PARTNER TO FIGHT THE MEGABUCKS?"  I don't know how long it lasted but everybody knew it would be Hogan.  But I do specifically remember watching Superstars and seeing Duggan volunteer, since he'd had a program with Andre.  I can't remember how long they went with that angle before just announcing Hogan.

I think Savage was winning the World Title at WM4 even if he was IC Champ, I can see Vince thinking of having DiBiase win the belt at WM4 then dropping it to Savage at SummerSlam after those two do a house show run in the Spring/Summer, but changing his mind due to not wanting a heel to go over at WrestleMania along with having a heel champ for a few months. Savage going over Honky at The Main Event would have been purely about Macho Man winning that feud in front of as many eyeballs as possible, the IC belt was pretty much irrelevant. 

Also there's the No Holds Barred shooting schedule, Vince might have had a different plan for the World Title if they weren't able to shoot the picture until later in the summer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

Heyman would be the HoF headliner, right? Would be a must-watch induction speech 

That makes a lot of sense. Obviously no offense to them, I grew up hooked on them, but I don't see any other ECW or ECW-adjacent folks getting in at this time, at least of those who are available and alive.

Maybe they play up the aforementioned WM XV connection and this is the year they finally induct The Rock. Especially if they still want to run him vs Roman. Austin and Foley are already in, and Show probably won't get the nod while he's with AEW.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

12 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

That makes a lot of sense. Obviously no offense to them, I grew up hooked on them, but I don't see any other ECW or ECW-adjacent folks getting in at this time, at least of those who are available and alive.

Are the Dudley Boys in already?

15 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Yea, they went in pre-pandemic I believe

Hmm, I guess you're right then. Maybe I can see Dreamer as an outside chance if he's on good terms with the company, but Heyman seems like the only other super-obvious choice. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Hmm, I guess you're right then. Maybe I can see Dreamer as an outside chance if he's on good terms with the company, but Heyman seems like the only other super-obvious choice. 

I thought of Dreamer too but wasn't sure of his status because of the DSOTR stuff and Impact association (though I guess they don't really care about that anymore). Other than that? I don't know. RVD? Can't see a Sabu or Shane Douglas getting a live mic at this point. Taz is with AEW, can't see him going unless they agree to offer Hook the Brinks truck when he's available.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
forgot RVD got in

4 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Taz is with AEW, can't see him going unless they agree to offer Hook the Brinks truck when he's available.

They inducted Billy Gunn with DX while he was in AEW, so I don’t think that’s totally off the table.

3 minutes ago, EVA said:

They inducted Billy Gunn with DX while he was in AEW, so I don’t think that’s totally off the table.

I wonder if they loophole it and just induct ECW Originals as a group, which would be how you get like Taz, Rhino, etc. in there.

From a WWE Perspective, RVD and Dudleyz are probably the only ones to get individual recognitions. 

Triple H and Paul Heyman are scouting talent during around Summerslam. Bruce seems to be done helping with the tryouts.

I dunno what will happen to Johnny Ace, either may demote him to road agent/producer again or they will let him go.

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Yeah, I was thinking about that too when I brought up that they may not care about inducting people with Impact associations anymore, but then I looked it up and the year DX were inducted was when AEW had only just been announced that January with the rally, they hadn't run a show yet. So you're totally right about that, but it might be looked at as a way different situation at this point In AEW's lifespan

Also, I'm realizing now, I'm not even 100% sure Dreamer is with Impact anymore, the whole thing might be moot. I just assumed they wouldn't care since they brought Mickie James in for that rumble

41 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

If it’s a way for them to induct Scorpio, I’m all for it. 

Excellent call. I'm surprised he's not in yet given he spent time with all three companies. I wish the WWF had done more with him post-Flash Funk, I remember really liking his short lived tag team with Terry Funk as a kid

8 hours ago, Technico Support said:

• Why would HTM guard his spot against Savage, only to agree to a much more damaging job, a squash, later?

Supposedly the idea of a Squash came from HTM himself as he didn't feel comfortable working a longer match with Warrior

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I just assume no one on the concussion lawsuit list is getting in. That includes Scorpio.

But eventually they will need a black wrestler to induct, so his odds are not that bad.

i've been low key looking for this video for a long ass time. found it today and had to upload to youtube. 

from WWF Mania, 11/5/94, here is Luna Vachon marrying the Vampire Warrior (aka Gangrel)!

• Like 3