DVDVR Message Board

July 2022 Wrestling Discussion

On 7/16/2022 at 1:13 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Also, not surprisingly, Bruce Prichard on the watch along with Conrad unironically loves the hell out of the No Holds Barred.

Just copy and paste this as McDevitt's defense in Vince's eventual sexual assault trial.  "Your honor, my client could not have had relations with any of these women as his penis clearly has taken up full-time residence in Bruce Prichard's mouth."

OR

Next person I interview for a job, I'll definitely show them No Holds Barred and then ask, "if I told you I made this, could you convincingly act like you loved it?"

OR

Jesus Christ, I don't even think Squeaky Fromme had to pretend to love Charley's music.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Someone help my old man memory with a couple items...

1) Was there a Superstars or SNME where Demolition repeatedly hit their finisher on Rick Martel on the outside of the ring leading to Martel having a broken neck and then coming back and turning on Tito?

2) Again, Demolition related, but I swear I also remember an altercation between Demolition and the Hart Foundation and later on Bret and Anvil are cutting a promo with their faces all bruised up.

42 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Just copy and paste this as McDevitt's defense in Vince's eventual sexual assault trial.  "Your honor, my client could not have had relations with any of these women as his penis clearly has taken up full-time residence in Bruce Prichard's mouth."

OR

Next person I interview for a job, I'll definitely show them No Holds Barred and then ask, "if I told you I made this, could you convincingly act like you loved it?"

OR

Jesus Christ, I don't even think Squeaky Fromme had to pretend to love Charley's music.

I can imagine Vince and Bruce watching the dailies during filming and trading "That's good shit, pal" and lap dog head nods throughout, respectively.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Someone help my old man memory with a couple items...

1) Was there a Superstars or SNME where Demolition repeatedly hit their finisher on Rick Martel on the outside of the ring leading to Martel having a broken neck and then coming back and turning on Tito?

2) Again, Demolition related, but I swear I also remember an altercation between Demolition and the Hart Foundation and later on Bret and Anvil are cutting a promo with their faces all bruised up.

1) Absolutely did happen. It could have been on Prime Time as well.

2) Demolition and Harts had a few altercations on tv over the years, but I'm not sure which one this would be? I don't recall bruised faces, but that doesn't count for anything.

Does Jeff Jarret have a stronger connection to the Flair family than I am remembering or is he a part of Ric’s final match just to sell tickets (show is in Nashville)?

Undercard is solid and the main will be…. something.  I’m at least curious to see how this one plays out.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I can imagine Vince and Bruce watching the dailies during filming and trading "That's good shit, pal" and lap dog head nods throughout, respectively.

Bruce just doubled over, dying laughing when that guy says, "Dookie".

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

38 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

He sent an anonymous email to the Academy after the TEENY WANGERS scene.

I'm still baffled as to why Stan Hansen of all people was dressed like one of the actors from the original Hal Roach Our Gang shorts and apparently living on Skid Row.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Hahaha, Flair couldn't even help basically being the heel in the build for his very final match.

Eh, I thought Flair came off the babyface in that segment.  Which is interesting since Meltzer has been saying for awhile that Ric is more comfortable working heel and would most likely be the heel in the match.  

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

On 7/17/2022 at 10:46 AM, Stefanie the Human said:

I've been trying to limit how often I bring up misogyny because apparently I strike some raw nerves when I do so, but... yeah.

Two notes about this:

1) $30,000 for conventions is actually fairly cheap, especially if you break it down to a per day cost of $10,000 or $15,000. Let me pluck a convention out of thin air: GalaxyCon books a lot of wrestlers for their conventions, and with a couple of exceptions, their pricing is pretty consistent no matter which wrestler. I'll just link to Hangman Page, but it doesn't matter because it's the same for any wrestler unless you're Sting (where it's higher because, well, it's Sting) or an indie wrestler (where you are basically setting up as a vendor piggybacking on the AEW wrestlers and legends there, not as a contracted talent brought in by the convention, and are charging your own rate).

So $40 for an autograph, $40 for a table selfie, $60 for a combo of the autograph and table selfie, or $60 for the professional photo op. And that's for a run of the mill wrestler. (For those curious, Sting is $60 for an autograph and $70 for the photo op, no table selfies.)

Sasha isn't going to be charging those rates because Sasha falls within a unique category, because she will be able to draw wrestling fans and Star Wars obsessives due to her appearance on the Mandalorian (however big or small the role might have been).

Who else is appearing at GalaxyCon Raleigh? Katee Sackhoff, who was in the Mandalorian with Sasha. Note her autograph pricing. $120 for an autograph on Star Wars items. $80 for an autograph on non-Star Wars items, or an 8x10. $80 for a table selfie. $100 for a professional photo op. Her prices are going to be higher than Sasha's, but those Mandalorian appearances put Sasha in a unique category and conventions will likely put her close to this tier.

Sasha's a double draw for these conventions thanks to that Star Wars connection, so I dare say $30,000 is underpaid.

2) Let's also analyze if the men charging high price tags are worth it on indie wrestling shows. Short answer: no. Remember how I said Ric Flair charged $16,000? Do you also remember how I said the promoter didn't make their money back? You also have to accept the upcharge on security and venue costs to accommodate the higher than usual amount of fans. Flair got paid, as did the other names brought in (Ricky Morton, Bobby Eaton, the Barbarian), but local talent got nothing. And what did the local promotion get from it? A one night bump in attendance, then right back to square one for the next show, which didn't happen for four months because the promotion lost too much money to run again until then. That promotion was averaging 100-150 for their shows before Flair, and it averaged 100-150 after Flair. All to get a five minute rambling Flair promo where he called the promotion by the wrong name.

I worked on indies for close to a decade, and I don't think I ever saw an instance where bringing in a name of that magnitude helped long-term attendance. It was great for a short-term bump but it never really did anything to maintain the audience because the elevated costs just ended up torpedoing later shows. Maybe that's just poor cost management by the promoters I worked for, but really, when you book a name, you draw in people to come see that name. Once that name is gone, you'd better hope you've hooked the people who came to see that name, and 99% of the time that just doesn't happen. Way too much risk.

this is close but not always true. I was able to get table selfies with Sting, different places allow different charges. 

The thing is if a company is willing to pay Sasha her asking price what business is it of ours? Somethings are better left out of the public eye. Somehow she had to have told somebody "I'm charging $30,000 per appearance"  and someone else made sure it leaked. So you could argue she wants people to know what she's getting paid. But regardless it's not our business.

Same with when Brock was getting $100k per raw appearance. If WWE wants to pay him that it's not his fault, can't hate on someone for making money when a company is willing to throw trucks of cash at them. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Pedro said:

this is close but not always true. I was able to get table selfies with Sting, different places allow different charges. 

The thing is if a company is willing to pay Sasha her asking price what business is it of ours? Somethings are better left out of the public eye. Somehow she had to have told somebody "I'm charging $30,000 per appearance"  and someone else made sure it leaked. So you could argue she wants people to know what she's getting paid. But regardless it's not our business.

Same with when Brock was getting $100k per raw appearance. If WWE wants to pay him that it's not his fault, can't hate on someone for making money when a company is willing to throw trucks of cash at them. 

the bolded is just speculation. A Comic Con promoter may have reached out, been given that price, and then balked at it and spread the word to get public opinion against her. or it could be a completely made up number. or a million other things.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I'm still baffled as to why Stan Hansen of all people was dressed like one of the actors from the original Hal Roach Our Gang shorts and apparently living on Skid Row.

The pop culture knowledge of the co-writers of the film (along with Hulk Hogan and Cocaine) is always a few decades behind the times.

• Haha 2

I just asked this on the BTS discord so I’ll throw it out here: 

I wonder the most successful baseball player turned wrestler was. I mean, the best baseball player to become a wrestler. Did Torborg make the show? Did The Mayor ever wrestle In HWA or just manage? I presume there was someone who made it higher in the system than Randy.  I’m sure I’m forgetting someone obvious.

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

He sent an anonymous email to the Academy after the TEENY WANGERS scene.

Hopefully we can all agree that Kurt Fuller as Brell was completely awesome in that "Raul Julia in Street Fighter" way though ...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
1 hour ago, Pedro said:

I was referencing that one specific convention's rates.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder the most successful baseball player turned wrestler was. I mean, the best baseball player to become a wrestler. Did Torborg make the show? Did The Mayor ever wrestle In HWA or just manage? I presume there was someone who made it higher in the system than Randy.  I’m sure I’m forgetting someone obvious.

How far did Simon Diamond get as a catcher before his knees died?

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Pete Rose?

Had an incredible baseball career and is in the WWE HOF, for what that's worth.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I know baseball is big in Japan nowadays, no idea about the 1950ies, so I don't know how much it is worth that Baba won the award for best pitcher (according to Wikipedia) for two years in the "Nippon Professional Baseball" league.

Edited by Robert s

Dale Torborg was a first baseman for the Kingsport Mets, St. Lucie Mets, Tampa Yankees, and Greensboro Bats over 59 games in 1994-1995.

Giant Baba pitched 3 games for the Tokyo/Yomiuri Giants in 1959.

Veer's baseball career included 119 games mostly from 2009 to 2012 (and one game in 2016) for the GCL Pirates, State College Spikes, West Virginia Power, 3 games with the Dominican Summer League Pirates for some reason, and 34 games in the Australian league.

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 1