DVDVR Message Board

July 2022 Wrestling Discussion

1 hour ago, nofuture said:
Looks like the reports of PG's death have been greatly exaggerated.

As someone who grew up on Memphis wrestling, I'm glad Jamie and Wolfie D are a-okay. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, nofuture said:
Looks like the reports of PG's death have been greatly exaggerated.

PG was shot, following a tense confrontation at Titan Towers. It was taken to a hospital where it was pronounced dead. It was then taken to a better hospital where it's condition was upgraded to "alive."

Alright so the VHS of Superbrawl I is actually better than the full PPV as it aired Lol. 

I own the VHS, have had it since I was a little kid. The matches on the VHS aren't clipped. 

Instead..they cut out most of the first hour and you really don't lose much. 

Big Josh, forgot what a horrible gimmick that was. 

Could have done without Dan Spivey squashing Ricky Morton also.

Oh and Oz.  Blech...  The boos are funny though. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

PG was shot, following a tense confrontation at Titan Towers. It was taken to a local medical facility where it was pronounced compromised to a permanent end. It was then taken to a better local medical facility where it's condition was upgraded to "just wants to have fun."

Fixed.

• Like 8
  • Haha 6

7 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

I’m actually surprised someone hasn’t legit copped this gimmick in 2022 and called it TV-14. Then again, I don’t think anyone wants their mother bumrushed.

If you don't think that's going to be the Acclaimed's new team name in NXT if they ever jump, then you're sadly mistaken.

• Haha 2

I saw there was some chatter about Wrestlemania IV in here recently and a question occurred to me: Hogan main events III and V but at IV he's in a QF against Andre that ends in a shite DDQ. What was going on with Hognosh around this time? Contract beef? Doing a film? I'm sure I could listen to another 4 hours of Lapsed Fan to find out but not got the mental energy to wade through all the ass-fucking jokes.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The Natural said:

Remember when WWE billed AEW as Blood & Guts? The Natural remembers.

Competition is heating up, I guess.  I wonder what comes back first, blood or PEDs?  Shit, Vince has been so brazen in the face of his recent accusations, he'd put on a bra and panties match as a "fuck you."

10 hours ago, Peck said:

Speaking of Dan Spivey....

I hope he yells "LIVES ARE GONNA BE...in Waylon Mercy's hands" when he spots someone on the bench.

1 hour ago, sevendaughters said:

I saw there was some chatter about Wrestlemania IV in here recently and a question occurred to me: Hogan main events III and V but at IV he's in a QF against Andre that ends in a shite DDQ. What was going on with Hognosh around this time? Contract beef? Doing a film? I'm sure I could listen to another 4 hours of Lapsed Fan to find out but not got the mental energy to wade through all the ass-fucking jokes.

I always assumed it was to shoot No Holds Barred but I don't know if the timeline adds up.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5

I watched one match last night in my continuing bid to watch all 80s/early 90s WWF PPVs on my little nostalgia kick...DiBiase vs Muraco from Mania 4.  DiBiase has nothing on the real evil worked millionaire at ringside.  Heyooooooo.

DiBiase comes out sans Andre, Virgil, and tearaway suit and looks pissed that his dudes and clothes are gone.  The incomparable SCREAMIN' JACK KRUGER is your ref and he yells at DiBiase like your dad yells at you to clean your room.  Another match that was too quick to really amount to much.  Two things that stood out:

*Muraco's irish whip: Anyone who says today's wrestling looks too cooperative has never seen Muraco's Irish Whip.  In an industry that defies the accepted laws of physics as a rule, the Magnificent One's whip to the ropes was ridiculous.  You know how you're supposed to grab the opponent's left wrist with your left hand, put your right hand his back, then throw/push him across the ring?  Don's having none of it.  He grabs the wrist with one hand, two if you're lucky, and just kinda swings a little bit and then the opponent runs.  Zero force behind it and phonier, more contrived looking than The Overdrive.

*DiBiase's fistdrop: like everything else he does, it's absolutely beautiful.  It has no name but in the old C64 MicroLeague Wrestling game, it was called "The Crash."  Somebody needs to steal it because it looks awesome.

DiBiase wins with a hotshot.  That's very cool as he's won two matches with different moves and is saving the Million Dollar Dream for the finals.

Hopefully I'll watch more over the weekend.  If that's the case, I'll write more inane shit Monday!  Have a great weekend and try to watch some wrestling.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

Re: Winning tournament matches with different moves

They deliberately did that with Bret when he won KotR 1993 with the story being he hurt his hand so "how can he deliver the Sharpshooter?"

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

People who are bitching that Sasha is asking for $30K either:

1.  Have never had to deal with the autograph and memorabilia market and don't realize how EVERYTHING is over-priced

2.  Think that being tied to Star Wars franchise in any way is no big deal

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Peck said:

Speaking of Dan Spivey....

Completely random, but I really never saw Dan Spivey ever on television but remembered his name from the magazines and those silly elementary school book fair wrestling books. That said, when Gary Spivey debuted with Paul Orndorff in WCW, I thought they were the same person and was completely confused.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

26 minutes ago, Loki said:

Completely random, but I really never saw Dan Spivey ever on television but remembered his name from the magazines and those silly elementary school book fair wrestling books. That said, when Gary Spivey debuted with Paul Orndorff in WCW, I thought they were the same person and was completely confused.

I confused Norvell Austin and Steve Austin one time.

9 hours ago, sevendaughters said:

IMDB says filming of No Holds Barred occurred in May 1988 - though the movie being released in June 89' seems like a long post-production considering I don't recall much special effects and the overall quality of the film. But who knows, maybe it did take close to a full year to turn the raw footage into something remotely watchable?

Anyway, I always felt like the thought process here was to try to "make" Macho Man as much as possible...which meant you had to limit Hogan's on-screen time so that Savage could shine. Meanwhile, Vince knew that Hogan's ego was also delicate (and maybe Andre's too?), which is why Macho didn't beat Andre in the Finals (which would've been a much bigger deal than beating DiBiase) and Hogan still got to do his posedown in the middle of the show and come in at the end of the show to help Savage win.

Its also fair to say, after watching the show recently, while Savage is over, Hogan still gets the bigger pop and was clearly the bigger draw - so, the fans got just enough Hogan on the show to make it not a "bait-and-switch" in the advertisements, while still creating a new World Champion and a new top heel. 

I don't know what the house show loops were like either but was Hogan headlining one and Savage the other in the summer/fall 88'? Savage with the Championship was maybe Vince theorizing that Hogan didn't need the title to draw on his own? 

Edited by DMJ
  • Like 1