DVDVR Message Board

July 2022 Wrestling Discussion

2 hours ago, Jamal said:

Poor Shayna. Talk about wasted opportunity 

I loved her in NXT and am sad to read not much has changed for her on the main roster since I last watched. Adding to your point, she's actually a couple of years older than I realized she was. Hopefully the window stays open for a little while, I have no idea what her deals like. I think she'd be an excellent fit with the new ROH based on what the direction for the women's title has been so far with Serena/Mercedes. Or imagine once Leyla Hirsch is healthy, if she and Shayna were like a shooter tag team.

Edit: or make em a trios with Marina and help her grow more hopefully

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, L_W_P said:

HOLL 

OH 

CORE 

DOORS 

*clap clap clapclapclap* 

Can get the dueling chant as well - 

We want tay-bulz

"Holl-oh core doors"

We want tay-bulz 

"Holl-oh core doors"

What not just "DOOR!  DOOR!  DOOR!" etc. ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, onelegbrynn said:

Also didn’t help that they used the same “WrestleMania IV” banners and ring apron from the previous year with the “I” in IV blacked out with sharpie.

So, this is a thing that I never noticed, so I went looking for pictures. Hella funny. They totally re-used them, and just removed the "I". It's like a huge applique, so it was a super-smart move to just remove the offending portion so you could run it back the next year. 

C8c_BM2XoAI-nzj.jpg:large

Thank you for pointing it out, I am super tickled by this fun fact

EDIT - Here's a great shot of it during the show, I'll leave it as a link so I don't huge-ify anything on the thread:

https://imgur.com/i7Qtxiu

Edited by grilledcheese
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, onelegbrynn said:

The only of the early Mania shows I have in my bottom five is WrestleMania 5. I watched it recently and it’s such a slog to get though and there’s a lot of matches that really don’t mean anything or have bad finishes. The crowd was awful throughout it too and seemed bored. Also didn’t help that they used the same “WrestleMania IV” banners and ring apron from the previous year with the “I” in IV blacked out with sharpie.

On that show, Warrior vs Rude was good but nowhere near as great as their rematch at SummerSlam that year would be. Hogan vs Savage was probably the best match of the show honestly. 

Savage working like a maniac while Hogan tried to keep up was a fun meta-narrative to that match. Not that Hogan was bad, but Savage outworked him through sheer will and talent.

There's an argument that Rick Rude is Warrior's best opponent. Their WWF trilogy is legitimately good.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

There's an argument that Rick Rude is Warrior's best opponent. Their WWF trilogy is legitimately good.

As far a high profile matches go, I don't even know who else could it be? At worst, he'd be second best behind Savage, but I've never bought into this (although SummerSlam'92 match is good from wrestling standpoint).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shartnado said:

As far a high profile matches go, I don't even know who else could it be? At worst, he'd be second best behind Savage, but I've never bought into this (although SummerSlam'92 match is good from wrestling standpoint).

Savage is the other possibility that I was thinking of. I think their WM VII retirement match is *the best* WWE-style dramatic woo-woo match ever, and it's not even close. HBK mouthing "I love you" at Ric Flair wishes it was as the level of great WWE-style dramatic woo-woo that Savage/Warrior is. The camera shots of people legitimately sobbing unashamedly in the stands post-match is genuinely amazing (yeah, that part of it has nothing to do with Warrior, but the match was great, too). 

Some of the early WMs weren't that bad but at least they were memorable, the roster was kept fresh and you had different guys in different places on the card on every show. King Kong Bundy won a squash at the I, main evented II, was in a comedy match with midgets at WM III, and then he was gone. The roster has been so stagnant in the last 20 years, people stay around forever in the same spot, and all the WrestleManias blend together with the same few guys rotated around, facing each other in different combinations.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

So, this is a thing that I never noticed, so I went looking for pictures. Hella funny. They totally re-used them, and just removed the "I". It's like a huge applique, so it was a super-smart move to just remove the offending portion so you could run it back the next year. 

C8c_BM2XoAI-nzj.jpg:large

Thank you for pointing it out, I am super tickled by this fun fact

EDIT - Here's a great shot of it during the show, I'll leave it as a link so I don't huge-ify anything on the thread:

https://imgur.com/i7Qtxiu

I wonder what happened between the 80s and the early to mid 90s where the ring aprons went from looking smooth to looking wrinkled as shit. You would think if they're keeping them in storage to continue to re-use them that they would make them somewhat presentable before putting them on before major PPV broadcast. Is the material that sensitive where you cannot straighten it out? Now the blue one with the three WWF logos on it, I get it showing wear and tear because they were using that almost everyday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Twin Towers vs. The Rockers is legitimately awesome! WM V cannot go to my bottom 5! 

Agreed. That and Perfect/Blazer are probably the two best undercard matches on the show. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Boydy said:

Just make sure you have the match on a particular day and you wont even need to do anything ?

Hey it was the Attitude Era.

Me I got Jeff Hardy in a ladder match... I'm probably going through a table anyway

Watching Great American Bash 1988 and black glove clawhold Barry Windham should've had a run with the NWA title. Don't know how they would've gotten the strap on him but he was on fire.

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Watching Great American Bash 1988 and black glove clawhold Barry Windham should've had a run with the NWA title. Don't know how they would've gotten the strap on him but he was on fire.

Windham post-turn on Luger was GREAT. 

He was just walking around lariating dudes out of their boots and clawing them like the meanest dude ever. 

JCP in 1988 had all these departures and was in so much flux, but in the chaos, I'd argue that both Windham and the Eaton/Lane Midnights had all-time-great wrestler years. 

• Like 6

After watching 1992’s Clash of the Champions XIX (with the first round of the NWA tag title tournament), I was intrigued by Nikita Koloff’s career; fairly short (1984-1992 with several breaks within) and yet perfectly timed such that he was able to wrestle old-timey guys like Dick the Bruiser, Tom “Boogaloo” Shaft and Gene Anderson at the beginning, and then Dean Malenko near the end.

• Like 4