DVDVR Message Board

July 2022 Wrestling Discussion

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

The switch from tables to hollow core doors: I've heard doors are cheaper and/or easier to come by at Home Depot nowadays.  Which is true?  Anyway, it's stupid.  At least tables have the thinnest of kayfabe reasons for being there.  Also, doors break like shit and you have to perfectly balance them on two chairs and then be careful because a stiff wind can blow that shit over. 

It seems like a small thing, but this drives me insane. Maybe its cause I'm out of the loop, but I saw this for the first time pretty recently on that GCW Hammerstein PPV. This is *literally* what we did as idiot teenage backyarders (particle board was even cheaper than doors, back then). My mind was honestly a little blown. To me, there's no logical difference between that, and something like the conspicuously double-tall, double-wide timekeepers table on Blood and Guts last week. Why would there ever, for any reason, be a stack of doors under the ring?! Tables make total sense: sell merch, replacements lined up for timekeepers/announcers table if they go early, etc.

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, zendragon said:

For me when people say why would be there be doors, garbage cans, kendo sticks ect under the ring. The obvious answer is that the wrestler put them there for latter use

Or paid off/threatened some of the event staff to do it for them. On the indy scene it must be relatively easy to sneak stuff under there in guise of setting up the ring, especially if you are among the ones actually doing that.

Edited by Shartnado
some of, not some off
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Maybe every wrestler has a designated spot like when you had a cubby in Kindergarten!

I misread the last part of that sentence as  “….like when you had a chubby in kindergarten” and, boy howdy, was I confused.  I was about to ask what kind of kindergarten zendragon went to ‘cause I am fairly certain my kindergarten didn’t have a boner circle.

For a second, I thought this was one of those public school things I missed out on since my parents sent me to a private school for grades k-12.

• Haha 9
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

Maybe every wrestler has a designated spot like when you had a cubby in Kindergarten!

Problem arises when someone has left something way more useful right next to your spot! It's like "Dammit! Should I... no, I'm still going to take my door, even though Patrick has left a table on his spot! Shit, how come I didn't think of that?!"

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Comedian said:

Adrenaline in my soul

I rock a wifebeater with a hood on it yo

In his defence though, as far as shirts go, that's pretty much all I wear during summer months, indoors, outdoors, to the shower, whatever! THAT will never make him heel to ME, but I see what he must be going for. I mean, he's not serious, right? Right?!?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Regarding hollow core doors, those things will fuck you up. Those turn into shards and rarely cleanly break.

Yeah, I can only imagine. Probably not very practical and as you said, potentially very dangerous.

E: Wrong thread.

My reading is that promoters got tired of the wrestlers destroying all of their nice folding tables so they stuck a bunch of doors under there to distract.  Like giving your dog a toy so he doesn't chew on your shoes.

Edited by Zimbra
  • Haha 2

I like the doors. Once the initial smash is done, they can pick up the broken halves and wail on each other with them, and chunks fly off as they gradually disintegrate. It’s really cool.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Leonidas said:

Cap on, hood up and headphones on. YOU'RE INDOORS CODY. Still working that heel gimmick as a face I see.

The picture up there makes me ask so many questions.... aside from what is Cody wearing.   Why does the skull on the Nightmare Factory logo appear to be eating an apple? What's up with the astroturf?  Who are all these 140lb dorks watching and taking notes?  And are they watching Mr. Perfect wrestling *squints* Roman Reigns?  

• Haha 3