DVDVR Message Board

UFC 276: Adesanya vs. Cannonier (07/02/2022) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

1 minute ago, DreamBroken said:

every time Robbie gets hit, I start to worry for his career next with the way tonight's going.  damn. 

This. Ruthless has been in some of the best fights in MMA history and taken a lot of damage.

57 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Morning y'all. Woke up in time for the main card. How were the prelims?

Prelims had a few moments. Three good submissions including a gnarly armbar. A couple of retirements. Uriah Hall couldn't get it going, which wasa bummer -but Muniz is an interesting matchup for folks going forward. Ian Garry had a decent showing - looking calm and cool.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jaedmc said:

Prelims had a few moments. Three good submissions including a gnarly armbar. A couple of retirements. Uriah Hall couldn't get it going, which wasa bummer -but Muniz is an interesting matchup for folks going forward. Ian Garry had a decent showing - looking calm and cool.

Thanks!

Alexander Volkanovski and Max Holloway are next up in the trilogy fight. Officially it's 2-0 to Volkanovski. To me it's 1-1 with Volk winning the first and Max won the second. Fan of both but rooting for Blessed.

16 hours ago, The Natural said:

FWtyCjSWYAAfI_J?format=jpg&name=900x900

Israel Adesanya doing The Undertaker entrance. Fuck yeah. Fun hearing Daniel Cormier marking out.

DC on the early prelims also marked out because Rose-Clark used Sexy Boy as her walk out music. 

long story short, couldn't watch last night, but watched today spoiler-free. overall, a pretty damn solid card. none of the matches were straight stinkers, and all of them were worth watching. 

LOL'd @ DC marking out for Shawn Michaels' "Sexy Boy" theme for Jessica-Rose Clark. If Stoliarenko wasn't 0-4 in the UFC, i would be looking forwrard to her barber shop window breaking out moment big win

Maycee Barber looked good. excited to see what's next for her. RIP to Jessica "Evil" Eye.

Uriah Hall looked like the worst of all his tendencies. more power to Muniz, who i had forgotten had submitted Jacare.

Dricus du Plessis looked damn good and i'm excited to see what's next for him

Ian Garry really knows how to use his reach advantage to secure wins. Looking forward to see what more dangerous opponents can counter with.

RIP Cowboy Cerrone. 47 fights under Zuffa/WME. was hoping he'd hit 50.

Jalin "Tarantula" Turner is the real deal. give that man a top 10 opponent!

O'Malley/Munhoz was tangentially the most interesting matchup on the card. Munhoz's last 6 opponents are impressive, but Pedro being 2-4 against them less so. a NC almost seems poetic. O'Malley still hasn't defeated an opponent who was even potentially relevant.

Perreira looked unstoppable against a lesser opponent. i had Strickland confused with someone else (who?) but it was a complete squash. Also, i feel like i confused Sean Strickland with someone else, but even after searching, i can't figure out who? so i was probably just too drunk. even at 12 Noon.

Lawler/Barbarena was everything. Lawler is probably my vote for competitor who has never been in a bad fight (feel free to call me out on this?)

Volkanovski/Holloway 3 was as advertised. I had Volk up 2-0 in the trilogy but know that #2 was close, so was totally OK with a rematch. Volk clearly decided he wasn't OK with that and pretty clearly won all of the rounds. Even if you scored the 2nd fight for Max ( @The Natural) he still easily lost the trilogy

Adesanya completely shut down Cannonier, and made it look like he didn't even deserve a title shot. damn.

3 minutes ago, twiztor said:

Perreira looked unstoppable against a lesser opponent. i had Strickland confused with someone else (who?) but it was a complete squash. Also, i feel like i confused Sean Strickland with someone else, but even after searching, i can't figure out who? so i was probably just too drunk. even at 12 Noon.

Sean Strickland is pretty damn good. I mean Strickland didn't have to take this fight at all and could have faced the winner of Adesanya-Cannonier. That makes Pereira beating him all that more impressive. Now it does set up Adesanya vs. Pereira: The MMA version, which is probably why UFC offered Strickland that fight.

9 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Sean Strickland is pretty damn good. I mean Strickland didn't have to take this fight at all and could have faced the winner of Adesanya-Cannonier. That makes Pereira beating him all that more impressive. Now it does set up Adesanya vs. Pereira: The MMA version, which is probably why UFC offered Strickland that fight.

yes, i agree. maybe i didn't have him confused with someone else? i tried looking back at his last few fights, but nothing stood out to me as what i remembered. i even tried looking back through the last year-ish of LHW and MW fights but still am not sure. It was probably Strickland after all. i thought it was someone who faced off with Anthony "Lionheart" Smith but none of his opponents make sense. i probably just remember wrong. How do you keep it straight, @Elsalvajeloco? you've been in this game way longer than i have.

i've been following this game too long. Pride died 15 years ago (i know, "pride never die~!") and strikeforce was bought out like 10 years ago. Fuck, even the last Sengoku event was 10+ years ago, DREAM ended almost 10 years ago, and the final WSOF event was over 5 years ago. i am old AF.

18 minutes ago, twiztor said:

yes, i agree. maybe i didn't have him confused with someone else? i tried looking back at his last few fights, but nothing stood out to me as what i remembered. i even tried looking back through the last year-ish of LHW and MW fights but still am not sure. It was probably Strickland after all. i thought it was someone who faced off with Anthony "Lionheart" Smith but none of his opponents make sense. i probably just remember wrong. How do you keep it straight, @Elsalvajeloco? you've been in this game way longer than i have.

i've been following this game too long. Pride died 15 years ago (i know, "pride never die~!") and strikeforce was bought out like 10 years ago. Fuck, even the last Sengoku event was 10+ years ago, DREAM ended almost 10 years ago, and the final WSOF event was over 5 years ago. i am old AF.

To be fair, Strickland for the longest was one of those nameless, faceless guys at 185 who was solid but nothing more than that. However, he really started standing out 3 or 4 fights prior to facing Pereira. Also, he started trying to be the new Chael and talking trash (and also saying some weird stuff), which brought him some notoriety.

The problem with a guy like Strickland is he's not a dynamic finisher. Had he finished Jack Hermansson, he would have been facing Adesanya (which IMO was somehow a more stylistically friendly fight than Pereira) and Cannonier would have been facing Alex Pereira. However, because Cannonier stopped Brunson, we got the fights we got last night. Unfortunately, Cannonier didn't have much if anything for Adesanya. Strickland would have fared better, but Adesanya would have eventually figured him out.

• Thanks 1

• Israel Adesanya noted in an interview with BT Sports in the U.K. that he came up with the idea of his Undertaker entrance the Tuesday before the show. At the time he had no idea Vince McMahon and company would be at the show. He said he had already cleared it with UFC and then on Saturday morning he was told Vince McMahon was coming to his fight. He said that in camp when he does his wrestling training, he has them play Attitude Era WWF entrance songs. Undertaker, who is a big MMA fan, tweeted approval.