DVDVR Message Board

POLL: 6/18-6/24/2022- WHAT WAS THE TV MATCH OF THE WEEK?

DEAN

WHAT WAS THE BEST TV MATCH OF THE WEEK?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. WHAT WAS THE BEST TV MATCH OF THE WEEK?

• Marina Shafir/Reka Tehaka/Savanna Stone vs MYLO/Delilah Doom/Johnnie Robbie- CWFHollywood
    • Asuka vs Becky Lynch- RAW
    • Will Ospreay/Aussie Open vs Orange Cassidy/Roppongi Vice- DYNAMITE
    • Toni Storm vs Marina Shafir- DYNAMITE
    • Jacob Fatu vs Mads Kruger- MLW
    • Penta Oscura vs Malakai Black- DYNAMITE
    • GUNTHER vs Ricochet- SMACKDOWN
    • Sheamus/Drew McIntyre vs the Usos- SMACKDOWN
    • Rey Fenix vs Andrade El Idolo- RAMPAGE
    • Cash Wheeler vs Jeff Cobb- RAMPAGE
    • James Storm/The Briscoes vs Matt Taven/Eddie Edwards/Mike Bennett- IMPACT!

This poll is closed to new votes

ANOTHER embarrassment of riches. Tell me!  WHAT WAS THE BEST MATCH?   Feel free to REFRESH your mind with the POLL PREP thread.

I actually really loved that Storm-Shafir match but didn't see almost anything else so I don't think should vote for it. Shafir's (inexperience? awkwardness? crappiness?) actually makes the match kind of more believable because it feels like a genuine struggle. At one point when she gives Storm one of her weird throws, I swear you can hear Toni (or someone nearby!) yell "JEEE-zus!" which makes it kind of fun and realistic because I know if someone was throwing me around I'd be yelling thing out, too. Also, it looked like Toni almost disconnected Shafir's head from her body on that hip attack. 

The Roppongi-Aussie match was fun, too. Aussie Open did two moves that I had never really seen before (the spring the guy up by his legs into a piledriver position seated piledriver thingy and the lift the guy into powerbomb position only for the partner to flip him down out of that spot move) and that was cool. 

• Like 1

With no precincts reporting, Fenix/Andrade is running away with it early!  I await the WWE contingent.  I noticed that I forgot to put the IMPACT! match on.  Let me add that.

10 minutes ago, caley said:

I actually really loved that Storm-Shafir match but didn't see almost anything else so I don't think should vote for it.

Uninformed voting made America the country that it is.

I was split between Fenix/Andrade and the Dynamite six man, but I’m biased towards singles matches. I liked how Fenix vs Andrade had all of the wild spots you’d expect, but they gave everything just enough breathing room so it felt like a bomb throwing grudge match and not just them doing a bunch of stuff.

Other Thoughts:

Ospreay/Aussie Open vs OC/Vice - If you’re going to do go-go style this is the way to do it. I’m not challenging someone to dig up quarter hours, but this feels like something exciting that could be a needle mover.

Cash vs Cobb - This had one of the best PiP sections that I’ve seen in AEW. Cash being overwhelmed at the end and going out on his shield was tremendous. 

Gunther vs Ricohet - This one had the air of  obligatory title rematch on tv to move the new champion on from the previous one, but they told a pretty good story. Ricochet thinks his best shot is going balls to the wall out the gate and keeping it short, but his aggression just can’t match Gunther’s. I liked it, but Cash/Cobb does a similar thing better. 

Fatu vs Kruger - It’s fun. They do some crazy stuff and Fatu continues to be a phenom. I did think the timekeeper ringing the bell post match like the refs could stop Fatu from melting a man with chemical weapons or whatever was really funny. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, (BP) said:

Gunther vs Ricohet - This one had the air of  obligatory title rematch on tv to move the new champion on from the previous one, but they told a pretty good story. Ricochet thinks his best shot is going balls to the wall out the gate and keeping it short, but his aggression just can’t match Gunther’s. I liked it, but Cash/Cobb does a similar thing better. 

Yeah, this WAS Vader vs Tom Zenk.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Ospreay is taking 2 in a row for me with the Dax match last week and now this six man.  Glad to see more love for Marina Shafir matches in general 

So it's official.  No one is voting for the IMPACT! match again.

• Sad 1

I had to go with Fatu/Mads match from MLW as it was nutty in a way I was not expecting and dramatically surpassed my expectations. I'm sure most of the other matches had better actual ring work but this match had a giant masked south african terrorist gain control by tossing anthrax powder into a guy's face (fortunately the ref was wearing a respirator, sucks for the likely now dead fans in attendance) before basically ganso bombing him off the apron through a table outside the ring. A guy put gloves on in order to gently place a roll of barbwire onto his opponent before intentionally jumping directly onto said barbwire with his bare chest. The most unexpected panama sunrise occurred. The table they needed for the ending accidentally broke so the fairly husky Samoan said to hell with it and just did a splash off the top of the ladder onto the guy lying on the mat, which both looked better and likely hurt a hell of a lot more. I don't know what the ending was but I'm pretty sure it involved radiation and a guy came from the back in full protective garb to offer the exposed victim a single white towel to I guess wipe it off.

Sometimes I don't need workrate, sometimes I need this specific brand of zaniness that only pro wrestling can provide.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I should acknowledge that my vote is a split vote, 51% Andrade/Fenix and 49% Storm/Shafir.

But alas, we have no split vote tech. I just felt like I should say Storm/Shafir would have mine if it did.