DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 6/24/2022

Ended up watching, only a little buzzed, and GODDAMN that was phenomenal.

Andrade-Fenix was just wild, Andrade was having so much fun he split his pants. Hard hitting, Fenix hitting crazy high spots, Andrade pulling out his old lucha tricks while being a solid base in true rudo style. Figured Roosh would make an appearance, and I’m totally good with Lucha Bros vs...what was it  cartel ingobernables?

I don’t want them to rush this Deeb-Martinez team split. I like it as a team, it’s a classic story and they need to get to them working together before they split them.

HOOK SOLD! HOOK SOLD! GOD GAWD ALMIGHTY HOOK SOLD!

backstage stuff: Assclaimed as great as ever, those LA dojo guys were good on Dark. Swerve in the Glory vs. some NJPW guys should be fun, and building more to their split. The Gresham/Moriarty thing (I don’t even remember who else was there) being straight up presented as a ROH angle was interesting. Assuming that and the Deeb-Martinez feud will move to a new ROH show.

Main event was good and then it hit the homestretch and got great. And then the post-match brawl hit and it was even greater. AND THEN Kingston went after Jericho and I was just hoping it would turn into some bonus hour long arena brawl. Kingston just gets it and his eventual title build is going to to be money.

Edited by JLowe
Spelling of ingobernables
  • Like 5

Rey Fenix is not human. I'm sure of it now. No man should be that agile. The man clearly has some feline DNA in him or something. That was a hell of a match.

Cobb vs Wheeler was great too. I'm a huge fan of Cobb dating back to Lucha Underground so seeing him get primetime exposure like this is great. I've been greatly enjoying all this New Japan vs AEW stuff. It's a shame most of it will probably end after Forbidden Door. I may just have to sign up for NJPW World. How's the english commentary on there? How often do they do it?

*edited to add* The last 3 shows of the current NJPW tour are July 3-5 then after that nothing until the G1 starts on July 16th. None of United Empire are listed for the shows until the 16th so maybe they're sticking around in AEW until then?

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Like 3

I liked both the main and open but I've seen Fenix and Cobb so many times from Lucha Underground that their stuff feels almost old hat. That probably comes off sounding really stupid when the open had so many crazy spots and great limb selling. The part where Fenix just bounced up and back and simply kneed Andrade in the face (IIRC)  was as good as the topes. But I've seen it. Andrade was a better base for Darby or maybe that was just a better match. I love him but this was fun and not more than that. The main I kind of fell out of attention due due to the PnP heat (oh how I hate thee) and again having seen Cobb's deal before, and finding it scarier earlier. BUT, putting Cash in there was the style clash that Andrade/Fenix needed to be, because Cash would always bring it back to the old school. So I would give both matches a solid B, B+. 

The A- shit was the squashes, which were perfect. Martinez and Deeb are gonna have a tremendous feud after this "I can do what you can do better" deal blows up and until then they can wreck everyone and I will love it. HOOK is still the man and the other guy using KA-RA-TAY~! was great. 

The A+++++++++++++++ shit was the brawl. That was one of the most unhinged ones AEW has ever done and there has been more than a few. Jericho's "HELP MEEEEE" whiny face right into the camera was hilarious, as was Eddie somehow always finding him again to inflict more punishment. Some guys come out, then more guys come out, then it's all the guys and holy shit. Orange is laying into that turd Ospreay! Somebody gets piledrivered! Eddie wants another pen! Brilliant. 

By the way, Jericho completely fucked up when he neglected to say "I'm your pusherman" after Taz said "Superfly". Wrong movie, Wizard. I guess your magic doesn't cover '70s Blaxsploitation. 

We probably knew it would pan out like this but I'm almost totally uninterested in Forbidden Door now due to the changes. It is gonna be a lot of fall guys falling and people getting in their shit. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

Rey Fenix is not human. I'm sure of it now. No man should be that agile. The man clearly has some feline DNA in him or something. That was a hell of a match.

Cobb vs Wheeler was great too. I'm a huge fan of Cobb dating back to Lucha Underground so seeing him get primetime exposure like this is great. I've been greatly enjoying all this New Japan vs AEW stuff. It's a shame most of it will probably end after Forbidden Door. I may just have to sign up for NJPW World. How's the english commentary on there? How often do they do it?

The English commentary ranges from good to excellent. I always learn something from the commentary team. The interview translations are also generally excellent, though I am a bit biased in that regard. i believe you generally get live as it's happening English commentary for every major show. I tend to go with the Japanese commentary, to practice my listening and because I like the energy... But I can't recall English not being available when I wanted it. 

I too, will miss all this stuff when it is over. It's been non-stop mark-out material for me.

12 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

I may just have to sign up for NJPW World. How's the english commentary on there? How often do they do it?

You can always get the main matches on a weekly basis on AXSTV with English commentary, just FYI.

EDIT: Ooof, I just remembered that after they replayed the nasty Andrade knee into the post they replayed him running facefirst into the camera too. Ouch. Sometimes the things you don't notice hurt as much as the things you do.

Edited by Curt McGirt

you know what I said about not having one of these a week. This one time, I'll let them have two a week, because this had the sense of "Oh my god, they've completely lost control" that was missing wednesday. Plus the biting. MEMPHIS TO THE CORE. Jericho can't find any place to hide because EVERYONE punches him on sight.

11 out of 10. Would riot again.

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Like 3

Fenix vs Andrade was just amazing, but here is my silly nitpick about Fenix: his mask. Its design is just not marketable enough. It’s very generic for a lucha mask in my opinion. Not nearly as recognizable as Mysterio or Liger’s mask (just two examples that come to mind).

I think it holds him back to being a main-event star.

• Like 2

SATURDAY REFLECTIONS:  I noticed that the Rey Fenix/Andrade is all about counters to each other's offense- while I noticed in the Smackdown main event last night, that Sheamus did no counters to anything and just took the full brunt of the Usos offense, which I thought has weird for a modern match but was awesome. The story was Sheamus is a bone headed wrestler but he is very tough.  That's a good story,  This match is so cerebral.   It's just one guy countering the big move of the other guy.   While you jerks were watching in picture in picture, the crowd gets behind Rey's comeback while fighting out of a chinlock.  Andrade is countered into a Cutter and then Andrade counters a Love Machine Splash by getting his knees up.  Meanwhile, Andrade counters his highwire spot to go into Fenix countering the double knees of Andrade,  It's awesome that all offense is a counter to the offense to the other.  It's like a Sweetpea Whitaker fight.  Sorry, channeling Schneider for a second there.  Fenix counters Andrade taking him to the toprope by hitting a Spanish Fly.  This match is so lucha libre, in that it's all about hitting the next spot as big as possible and beating the other guy as directly as possible.  Jose asking the crowd to be quiet while he passes the tablet to Andrade is a beautiful moment that one misses the first time you see it.  Andrade's attempting to show that he is NEW FLAIR FAMILY MEMBER by procuring the Figure Four is COUNTERED and that leads to Rey Fenix hitting the Shiryu Tope Con Hilo that ANDRADE COUNTERS FINALLY BY HAVING RUSH CRUSH REY'S TESTICULAR AREA to use his final counter to win the match.  Rey need to use his resources in the next match which all leads up to motherfucking Dragon Lee debutting for Andrade to COUNTER PENTA and PAC.  I can't quite figure out when Jose goes from fully clothed to GLORIOUSLY SHOWBOATING HIS BUFFNESS!  That match was intricate and fucking beautiful  THAT'S how you start a feud.  Sierra should be signed and join Deeb and Martinez is the Salty Old Broads Faction.  And then sign Davienne and have them feud with the Baddies.  Hot sisters versus angry redneck chicks is A GATEWAY TO PRINTING MONEY.  Hook sells like Paul London, which is pretty cool.  Oh wait, HOOK VERSUS ZACK SABRE JR!  FUCK CLAUDIO!  HOOK! HOOK! HOOK!  Austin Gunn being excited about going to Japan is SOLID GOLD!   The Ass Boys DO have to do a tour of New Japan.  THAT would be solid gold.  I used to think that Cash Wheeler was the secret Wrestling Machine of FTR but then Dax Harwood went on his million dollar singles run and showed that he is possibly the best wrestler in the world, so Cash Wheeler is also a great wrestler if not as great as Dax Harwood.  He is the Doug Summers to Dax Harwood's Playboy Buddy Rose.  Jeff Cobb has the strength OF A ROBOT!  He should definitely get a Vader run in AEW to point towards a TBS title match with Wardlow.  Cobb surfing on Cash Wheeler and the Standing Moonsault Press AND the Unprotected Bodyslam by Cobb while you RUBES were watching in picture in picture further showed the Vaderness of Cobb.  COBB IS A FUCKING ROBOT OF DESTRUCTION!  This is the Best Possible Vader vs Tom Zenk.  If Tom Zenk could punch like Cash Wheeler and could be all wiley with his offense, Zenk/Vader would have been this match.  Jericho is great explaining how Cash couldn't quite pull off the Tiger Driver.  If Tom Zenk could have countered Vader's horrendous finishers, it would be this match.  Vader does eventually crush Tom Zenk and Jeff Cobb eventually crushes Cash Wheeler.  I don't know who said it but the melee finish is absolutely Memphis but on a bigger stage.  Well, it needed blood and mustard and random dowel rods being broken over people's backs to be TRULY Memphis.  Jericho's jacket is even more awesome in the second viewing!  Robert Plant in 1975 awesome. I love that Tazz owes Eddie Kingston pens.  Man, that was great.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

QUICK thoughts:

• Andrade vs Fenix was always going to be a great spot/counter fest but I do think it was helped by the commercial breaks since that forced an Andrade control segment that might not have existed otherwise.
  • The cutter sell was amazing.
  • Rush coming out was great and here's why: you got who he was immediately. They had done the blocked low blow towards the end so it was sort of inplay as something that could be tried for and hit again as part of the house style, but all Rush did was hit a foul and pull off Fenix' mask for the hell of it. That's Rush in a nutshell. Just a heat machine.
  • I do think they have the balance just right on Martinez/Deeb when it comes to how much they work together and how much they don't. I'm glad they did a variation of the bridge back spot which wasn't the suplex and they did Martinez' clothesline on the top rope bit but as a double team which is progression. They're getting more effective as a team even as they edge towards turning on each other.
  • I want to see Gresham vs Cage. I said it.
  • I like how Hook sort of holds his opponent for a second before suplexing him to get the crowd primed.
  • Here's the deal with the main: Cash had a different job than Dax in his singles outings and it's not really fair to compare the two. Dax was out there to have "the most perfect Punk match possible" or a big bomb dropping match with Ospreay. Cash was out there to get over Cobb as a massive threat and he absolutely did that. I liked the bits early where he kept trying things and Cobb kept overpower and outwrestling him (with that power) but Cash just went right back to it. I like how he chipped at the hurt knee for opportunities, not necessarily as the story of the match, but he wasn't there to have a 50/50 match with Cobb. I'd say he did the job he was supposed to do in that match just as well as Dax delivered on what he was supposed to do in his recent singles matches.
  • End of show here was tremendous and it was all Jericho's visuals and Kingston's intensity (though they got little bits of Trent fist pumping or Cash with the belts that were good). Jericho mugging into the camera was so good. Jericho trying to cut a promo was so good. Kingston going for pens was so good. Great, relentless stuff.
Edited by Matt D
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I want to see Gresham vs Cage. I said it.

You KNOW, There are like sixteen Cages in AEW.  I can only ASSUME you mean Brian Cage.  Though Christian Cage versus Gresham would be fucking great.

23 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Here's the deal with the main: Cash had a different job than Dax in his singles outings and it's not really fair to compare the two. Dax was out there to have "the most perfect Punk match possible" or a big bomb dropping match with Ospreay. Cash was out there to get over Cobb as a massive threat and he absolutely did that. I liked the bits early where he kept trying things and Cobb kept overpower and outwrestling him (with that power) but Cash just went right back to it. I like how he chipped at the hurt knee for opportunities, not necessarily as the story of the match, but he wasn't there to have a 50/50 match with Cobb. I'd say he did the job he was supposed to do in that match just as well as Dax delivered on what he was supposed to do in his recent singles matches.

I was just saying that when I first started watching FTR, I figured Dax was the heelish, heat garnering guy- which he was and was really that in spades in the build up for the Briscoes match- and that Cash Wheeler was the worker of the tagteam.  Then Dax became this Wrestling Machine and became a face so he is no longer a Heat Machine.  Cash Wheeler is a great pro wrestler and he did in this match what Tom Zenk did in his Vader match- make his opponent look totally hellish.  It's just that Dax's singles run changed FTR's dynamic completely.  It turned them face and changed his role from heat garnering heel to Austin/Arn-like babyface asskicker.  Dax is fucking GREAT NWA face ass kicker.  Cash Wheeler is a great Tully Blanchard style tag wrestler.  Except Tully never could pull off wrestling face.  But point taken.

• Like 6

One of my favourite closes to a show with the brawl between AEW/NJPW highlighted by Eddie Kingston kept going after Chris Jericho using a pen and asking for more. Eddie's the best. Legit LOL at Orange Cassidy showing intensity throwing his jacket and badly missing Will Ospreay despite the small gap between them.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

I had totally forgotten about that bit where Jericho comes back ringside running from Kingston and Cassidy punches him, then he staggers over and Dax (I think) punches him.

I liked how Roosh couldn’t get his shirt off (cuff stuck on his wrist) so he just started choking Fenix with it.

• Like 2