DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 6/22/2022

That finale.. 90% awesome. If after a while Tanahashi and Moxley started throwing hands, infected by the mayhem going on outside. That's the kinda out-of-control brawl that I want to see, something out of Memphis. (as long as used judiciously, mind you. Not one a week, nor one a month). 

Not just one massive face off and then before things get really started, security breaks it off, but just one person starting a fight, and then friends come to help, and then the other's friends, and just an ever-widening melee that is completely out of control, until the point that while actual safety for fans is guaranteed, the fans get the idea it's gone completely beyond control, like the next step is calling out the riot squad.

And I wish JR's grumpy "Who opened the gate"? quote was a Dragon Gate reference (and to its titles, the Open the FREEDOM Gate for example). Not likely, mind you. But if Excalibur had said it, I'd have no doubt it was.

edit: At the risk of being told to "settle down, Fozziecito" Toni Storm's hips don't lie, and what they are yelling is "Here comes the pain"

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

That finale.. 90% awesome. If after a while Tanahashi and Moxley started throwing hands, infected by the mayhem going on outside. That's the kinda out-of-control brawl that I want to see, something out of Memphis. (as long as used judiciously, mind you. Not one a week, nor one a month). 

I was seriously waiting for someone to toss Tanahashi his air guitar and the last 5 minutes was him and Mox trading licks while the ending to "Blazing Saddles" played out around them.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Seems like a bit of a huge difference between the untimely death of a 52 year old man and the suicide of a 25 year old. I didn't see said WWE reference, but here Christian used it as part of a larger family story rather than some simple shock tactic low hanging fruit. 

1. Reid Flair's death was ruled an accidental drug overdose, not suicide.

2. "You know what, you're wrong Charlotte because your little baby brother, he didn't have much fight in him, did he?"

To me, I see little difference. Heel mentioning a real-life dead family member to get heat for a wrestling storyline. 

"Your father's dead, and that's probably a good thing because he'd be embarrassed and ashamed to see how you turned out!"

51 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

When needing to catch up on AEW shows from last week let's just say I skipped matches Ospreay was in.  Yes, even the Dax one and unless it's imperative to watch that then I'm good. 

It's imperative to watch that. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

1. Reid Flair's death was ruled an accidental drug overdose, not suicide.

2. "You know what, you're wrong Charlotte because your little baby brother, he didn't have much fight in him, did he?"

To me, I see little difference. Heel mentioning a real-life dead family member to get heat for a wrestling storyline. 

"Your father's dead, and that's probably a good thing because he'd be embarrassed and ashamed to see how you turned out!"

That's the first I've seen of that. I had to skim it, but thanks. Still seems like a bit of a huge difference, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Edited by HarryArchieGus

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Also, is it possible to explain the magic behind that Corner Ass Attack not killing these ladies?

It was a little more obvious last night how it's supposed to be taken and how Shafir looked really safe on it, which made me really surprised Alvarez was still so worried this morning.  The opponent moves her head back and kind of over her left shoulder, sort of ducking under the rope, while Storm's hip hits her right shoulder and turnbuckle.  I think guys who do the rolling senton into the corner, like Steen, do the same.

No "back and to the left" jokes, please.  Have some decorum.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Dog said:

It's imperative to watch that. 

Well, there we go then.  I'll check that maybe tomorrow.  But I'd still rather see more Aussie Open especially due to my first impression of them.

• Like 1

I’m probably the minority opinion, but man...I don’t know why they keep trying to make Minoru Suzuki a thing in 2022. The NJPW heavy influence on the television doesn’t strike a chord with me. I’m hoping they try to get their own talent roster over after Forbidden Door. They already have a super deep roster as it is.

• Like 2

Great episode all around, and Forbidden Door looks a hell of a lot better than it did last week even if they're going nuts with the multi-person matches.

Christian's promo was awesome, and I loved the simple explanation for why he wasn't doing much since he debuted. "Yeah, I just wanna ride the gravy train, so what?" That's how you do a bitter old-man heel promo without burying the current product.

I guess Will Ospreay is unpopular here for whatever reason, but I've enjoyed his mini-run in AEW. UE are perfect heaters for the Best Friends. Also Mark Davis' snatch pile-driver move was beautiful.

Malakai/Penta was good as expected and Miro's promo was money as usual.

Good to see Silas Young get a nice hometown moment. I always liked him as an ROH midcarder.

Not crazy about two 4-way title matches, but if it gets Okada on the show, it's worth it.

Main event was fine, the ringside brawl is ppv build 101.

------------

As far as the surprise goes, I think there are a few tiers:

1. Full Delivery: This tier contains Claudio and only Claudio.

2. Acceptable, but not Claudio: I wanna say this might only be Gargano (who makes no sense as a long term member of BCC), but I think Hero might fit here too. Hero and ZSJ had a barn-burner at one of the Mania-weekend shows in 2016.

3. Disappointing, but with some chance to win the crowd back: Biff, Thatcher, Gresham.

4. Biting the bullet for better long-term returns: Moriarty, Garcia. Moriarty would be a crowd-killer due to his jobber presentation thus far, but makes sense as a long-term BCC member (even being mentioned specifically by Bryan early on). Garcia would require some serious retconning and would likely kill the crowd as they scratch their heads trying to figure it out, but he's been pretty wasted in JAS (missing all kinds of opportunities for skits about Jericho teaching him the art of sports entertainment). A straight up swap with him and Sammy makes a lot of sense after the awkward reset phase wears off.

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
5 hours ago, DEAN said:

Sonny Kiss needs to join the Blackpool Combat Club.  WAIT! FUCK CLAUDIO!  SONNY KISS versus ZACK SABRE JR!

This would be incredible. BOOK IT, TONY!

8 hours ago, J.T. said:

The official line is "no"

but it could be a conspiracy, right?

I wonder if someone got him with the “rally to save the children” line like they got Bobby Fish with.

If you can’t get Claudio TK show up, you could always go with Juice Robinson. He’s bled w Mox. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Arn? Abrahantes if he wasn't with Penta?

-1 for my wildcard

I want -1 to go full on “evil child dictator” like the Flaming Dragon kid from Tropic Thunder…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I think we've reached the end of the Shafir singles experiment right? She had her best singles match with Storm this week but that was mostly Storm's doing. I would like to see how the team with Nyla develops.

I also appreciate they took the time to update us about Red Velvet, and it wasn't that she's just gone now. Hopefully she recovers soon.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DEAN said:

I might need to move to Milwaukee.  

As a pretty much life long resident I think you'd enjoy Milwaukee from May to October and hate it here the rest of the time. The winter ain't for everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also the QAnon thing with Biff was that Wuertz apparently asked him for some money not saying it was for his political stuff but Wuertz had to disclose it and that's how people found out which lead to Biff saying "I got duped and I'm not into that stuff at all"

• Like 3

Okay so that felt like an all timer! one of the best episodes of Dynomite and the best two hours of wrestling television in recent memory.

Every week I feel like I talk about how theres a lack of promo time and world building, this week three of the first four segments where promos! And they where all good.

You know ZSJ is a heel because in AEW heel wear boat shoes!

Christian Cage (The Canadian Rage!) Drives home his heel turn by wearing a black turtle neck!

But outfit of the night goes to Kris Stratlander looking like a member of L7!

LOL at JR almost but not quite getting The Adams confused but catching himself, also JR yelling at Sammy to get his toungue outta here was pretty good

And at the end of all the great wrestling (Selling! Psychology! IN A PENTA MATCH!!!) we get that peir 6 that just keep breaking down as business continues to pick up with more and more random people showing up! Now thats how you go home before a PPV!!!

Edited by zendragon
  • Like 5

21 hours ago, The Natural said:

Santana. Hasn't been seen since Anarchy in the Arena. You get the "Can Kingston and Cesaro get along enough to beat the JAS?" intrigue going in.

I'm pretty sure Santana was one of the 50 people running in during the greatest "paynight in Muskogee oklahoma" since that one WCWSN where Eddie Guerruo got spanked by LE GIANTE

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jiji said:

I feel sorry for whomever is Danielson's replacement if it isn't Claudio. I don't think it'll be a Rey #30 in the 2014 Rumble type of maddening boos or anything, but the crowd will be incredibly deflated if it's not him. I'm sure they'd pop for shitbum Gargano, so there's that, but I'll be dead inside. My love for AEW extinguished for good. ? If it's not Claudio at least let it be somebody good like the names thrown out here in Thatcher and Biff. Gresham in Blood and Guts would not fit at all. Ain't no need for complex pinning combinations in that match.

Tom Lawlor bled with MOX at defy right?

• Like 1

For the people that keep mentioning lee moriarty, first of all, lee isn’t that good. Sorry. More importantly, he’s injured so it’s not him.

As for Filthy Tom, Dave made it sound like he’s already in Japan getting ready for the G1.

• Like 2