DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 6/22/2022

“That guy’s called The Catalyst? Weird. One time when I parked in my friends apartment complex someone went under my car and stole the catalyst. You can get like $300 for one on the black market.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

27 minutes ago, Leonidas said:

Rementioning Sonny Kiss as I want to will it into existence, but I guess they need someone who normally fights women for the proposed 3 on 3. Although Kiss vs Statlander is a match I never knew I wanted until just now.

I checked out the hashtag last night and a lot of people were mentioning Sonny.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, EVA said:

The IWGP 4 way situation is one of those rare occasions where it really would’ve been helpful for AEW to have some kind of authority figure who could walk out on stage and say, “I just spoke with President Ohbari, Jay, and he said that at Forbidden Door you’ll be defending your title against ALL THREE OF THESE MEN,” as opposed to just dropping it in a graphic like two segments later with no explanation.

I'll be forever thankful as long as it lasts that there is NOT an on screen authority figure. A Tony Schiavone announcement or some shit would have been fine. How about a Jay White promo fuming at the fact that he now has to face 3 other men? Assuming it's one fall 'threat' rules you also have that to piss him off. Tho, let's all be honest here - Jay White is wonderful and has great presence, but clearly needs some further work on his mic skills. Talk about saying nothing loudly.     

A Jack Tunney type figurehead as a person who relays decisions made by the "Board of Directors" or "The Championship Committee" is fine; just a guy who smooths out little booking gaps and makes things make sense.

Authority figures suck when they become a lazy booking crutch.  If wrestling never has another heel authority figure again, it'll be too soon.

• Like 7

Regal was the perfect example of this, but reusing him for that role would kind of suck since it's just copying his NXT days. Even still, who would be better than Regal for that role?

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, caley said:

It'd be like if in the middle of John Wick, he stopped chasing the baddies who wronged him and his family, to compete in a car race or something.

I am so down for John Wick 5: Fast & Furious 11. The real interpromotional dream match we've been longing for.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Regal was the perfect example of this, but reusing him for that role would kind of suck since it's just copying his NXT days. Even still, who would be better than Regal for that role?

Arn? Abrahantes if he wasn't with Penta?

-1 for my wildcard

5 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I am so down for John Wick 5: Fast & Furious 11. The real interpromotional dream match we've been longing for.

It’d be great for Wick; the physics of the Fast universe would almost require that his wife come back to life. Probably the dog too. It’d be just like when the koala puppet gets assassinated by the bad guys in Ford Fairlane and then he’s just chilling at the end of the movie. 

Spoiler

C5-EE1-E53-53-AC-49-F9-8-D50-030-BEA5-D1
532-B3-DEE-E8-AC-46-EC-A716-5-EB256-DD5-

• Like 1

THURSDAY REFLECTIONS:  They REALLY need to keep United Empire around after the PPV.  ALL of them are superstars.  Well, Great O'Khan is amusing on twitter, and the REST are superstars.  Once again, on rewatching, Trent Barretta is our secret all star.  This match is very old school, psychologically.  They put some SHINE~! on the faces with the goofy Orange Cassidy stuff and then the heels beat a mountain of heat on the babyfaces, here with Will Ospreay beating the fudge out of our all star Trent Barretta, who sells an assbeating like a champ on the INTERNATIONAL FEED!  Orange Cassidy is a fucking great Robert Gibson- a fact I learned seeing him live against Butcher and the Blade, tagging with Tomohiro Ishii, and the INTERNATIONAL FEED builds up to his hot tag that you don't get that when you watch the TV feed like a JERK!, LIKE A RUBE!   Then they preview the Ospreay versus Cassidy match and it looks like Ospreay will be able to make Cassidy look like a killer in their singles match.  Trent Barretta hits a great Backdrop Driver and also kills Ospreay with a Lariat in this match- sandwiched between a million other moves  Will Ospreay IS Shawn Michaels, in that he is a generational in ring worker, but I get the feeling he doesn't have a beef putting over other wrestlers or making them look good, so he's not like Shawn Michaels.  AEW needs to latch on to him.  And Aussie Open needs to work towards FTR, maybe at the next ROH PPV.  They are also fucking awesome.  Christian Cage is even better the second time around- as he assumes the role of an angry step father.  He even alludes to it as he refuses to assume his fathering responsibility.  That is fucking great. But then he assumes the role of Jungle Boy's father as he expresses his disappointment that JB isn't MAN enough to get up and fight after he was attacked.  Christian IS the Great Santini!  This is great.  HEY!  Kyle O'Riley isn't on the PPV!  HEY!  KOR would be a GREAT addition to the BCC!  HEY!  KOR versus Zack Sabre Jr would fucking RULE.  HEY!  Fuck Claudio,  Kyle O'Riley is the Danielson replacement!  YAAAY!  And Adam Cole is going to win the IWGP Heavyweight Championship by lowblowing Hangman Adam Page and lowering THE BOOM!  THAT WOULD RULE!  AEW IS IMPACT!  I still don't understand why Andrade, PENTA and Rey Fenix couldn't be on the PPV.  Meltzer refuses to give a straight answer so I don't think even he fully understands.  While you were watching picture in picture, like an IDIOT, we who have access to the INTERNATIONAL FEED got to hear Tony Schiavonne get really weird and slightly creepy talking about Malakai Black's long, muscular legs.  The match itself was a clinic by PENTA on how to get the crowd behind you while selling an injury.  He gets over the lingering effects of his back injury in that he would have won because his offense is so overpowering but he can't follow up because his back is all fucked up.  The Avalanche Fear Factor is a great example.  He sells his back long enough to make Black making the ropes on the two count make sense.  PENTA is fucking awesome.  Here, on Dark, anywhere.   Yeah, I think this all points towards PAC versus Malakai Black.  It's your next IWGP CHAMPION!  ADAM COLE!  INOKI! HASHIMOTO! KEIJI MUTO! ADAM COLE, BAY BAY!  Adam Page is like PENTA, he has to have a compelling match against whoever he wrestles.  I mean, I love Silas Young as much as the next ROH viewing, but he was the what? TENTH best guy on their roster?  I mean if this was Josh Woods, it would make sense that Hangman would give him this much.  I mean, I love Hangman Adam Page and his need to make every match clear the bar to being a great match.  He is like Ric Flair like that.  And it is on the big show.  If this was on Dark, this would be more like Flair versus Brad Armstrong on Worldwide.  Actually, this is a lot like Flair versus Brad Armstrong on Worldwide if I remember correctly.  That being said, I await the epic Silas Young/Konosuke Takeshita match on the next ROH PPV.  OKADA! OKADA! OKADA!  The big question is how will he distract the ref driving Jay White to the floor to let Adam Cole lowblow Hangman Page to lower the BOOM! to WIN THE IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE!  ADAM COLE ADAM COLE!  THEN BRITT BAKER ATTACKS THUNDER ROSA and TONI STORM!  THey ECW-like morph it into a three way and REBEL HITS TONI STORM WITH BRASS KNUCKLES AND BAKER WINS THE AEW WOMEN'S TITLE AND DMD AND ADAM COLE HAVE DOUBLE BELTS!  AWESOME!  Oh wait, lost my mind for a minute.  I love the look on Okada's face when he and Hangman first look at each other,  He is quizzical and curious.  Okada is so awesome.  I assume that Trish Adora is the new Baddie.  The outside candidate is the TURNING EVIl Willow Nightengale!  That would rule too.  The Baddie spot is great in that it milks off the overness of Jade Cargill and you get Stokely Hathaway to talk for you.  Who said the start of Shafir and Storm was BAttlARTSian, because it was, but Toni Storm is like Carl Greca in that she uses European matwork to counter the straight shootstyle of Mrs Roderick Strong.  Nyla's senton looked fucking GNARLEY.  Shafir looks fucking great in the Big INTERNATIONAL FEED picture, because Storm knows how to take her offense and make her look good.  Toni Storm is the Meiko Satomura of the AEW Women's division.  Just a complete wrestler who can make anyone look good, as this match being the example as this is the best Shafir match I've ever seen- and I've seen a couple good ones (mostly in strange places, like in Championship Wrestling from Hollywood/Atlanta.)  The finish is a roll-up so Shafir can beat on Storm postmatch and Nyla is our secret all star being a menace on the floor and attacking Storm postmatch.  Storm versus Nyla will be good.  I think they should just have Storm wrestle the other person who attacks her postmatch until eventually Kris Statlander attacks Storm after Storm pins Skye Blue.  Let me reveal a secret.  I never was very big on Tanahashi.  I hate the Slingblade when he does it.  He doesn't lay it in.  I do see the rube appeal of him though and I can see how he got so over.  He is the John Cena of New Japan Pro Wrestling.   He has so much charisma one can overlook his averageness in the ring.  I am sure Jon Moxley will pull a good match out of him because Jon Moxley will wrestle for 8 in that match.  Jericho should have put Tanahashi over in this match if they really wanted to heat up the PPV match.  Jericho does work his ass off in this match.  Sammy Guevara looks so right being a little jerky heel being sneaky and hateful at ringside, with his redneck girlfriend smoking cigarettes and drinking wine coolers right next to him.  Put the fucking belt on her!  While you were watching picture in picture, we few got to hear Jim Ross notice that Lord Regal has very beautiful hair.  Regal, is it JR or is it TAZZ?  WHO DO YOU LOVE?  Jericho is 51 years old and can still go.  I guess WWE HOUSE STYLE~! saved his body.  I'm guessing if he had gone the ROH route, he would be total physical wreck like those guys are.  Or if he would have gone to New Japan he would be a physical wreck like Tanahashi.  Jericho was the glue that kept that match together.  Lance Archer kind of sat out the match except to take the pin.  I just noticed that Sammy's coat says   SELF LOVE across the back.  What a great fucking heel!  The all stars of the post match melee are Wheeler Yuta and Daniel Garcia.  Minoru Suzuki is so fucking great revelling in the chaos.  Garcia going after Eddie Kingston is a match up that will endure forever.  AEW RULES!  ADAM COLE IS INEVITABLE!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

If Sonny Kiss isn't a baddie then what the fuck are we even doing?

Sonny Kiss needs to join the Blackpool Combat Club.  WAIT! FUCK CLAUDIO!  SONNY KISS versus ZACK SABRE JR!

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Currently employed? Arn Anderson or Mark Henry... I would say Paul Wight- but I don't think he's officially retired yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

A Jack Tunney type figurehead as a person who relays decisions made by the "Board of Directors" or "The Championship Committee" is fine; just a guy who smooths out little booking gaps and makes things make sense.

Authority figures suck when they become a lazy booking crutch.  If wrestling never has another heel authority figure again, it'll be too soon.

A Tunney type and frequency would be fine, but let me just one more time express my love for this company's decision not to have an 'authority figure'. The crutch you speak of is seemingly too tempting for any bookerman.

Further, Lord Regal is perfect right where he is. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, (BP) said:

It’d be great for Wick; the physics of the Fast universe would almost require that his wife come back to life. Probably the dog too. It’d be just like when the koala puppet gets assassinated by the bad guys in Ford Fairlane and then he’s just chilling at the end of the movie. 

Reveal hidden contents

C5-EE1-E53-53-AC-49-F9-8-D50-030-BEA5-D1
532-B3-DEE-E8-AC-46-EC-A716-5-EB256-DD5-

"C'mon, like we were really gonna kill a koala bear?" I think they did, but Fairlane got a new one and just repressed the painful memories and was all like "Hey, the koala survived! Unbelievable, un-fucking-believable!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Christian's promo was cringe worthy heel greatness. Felt like a greatest hits of a heel promo (dead father, making money, past greatness).  It went a touch long but setup months worth of programming. Yeah the end is elevating Jungle Boy but it's great way to get him some real training. 

Okada and Tanahashi on my US TV live on a major cable network? Wow that thought 5 years ago was dream. Watching Tanahashi these days - Clearly reminds me of older wrestlers at the end of their career whose bodies are just not there anymore. But whose greatness is still apparent. Older Randy Savage ?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DEAN said:

THURSDAY REFLECTIONS:  They REALLY need to keep United Empire around after the PPV.  ALL of them are superstars.  Well, Great O'Khan is amusing on twitter, and the REST are superstars.  Once again, on rewatching, Trent Barretta is our secret all star.  This match is very old school, psychologically.  They put some SHINE~! on the faces with the goofy Orange Cassidy stuff and then the heels beat a mountain of heat on the babyfaces, here with Will Ospreay beating the fudge out of our all star Trent Barretta, who sells an assbeating like a champ on the INTERNATIONAL FEED!  Orange Cassidy is a fucking great Robert Gibson- a fact I learned seeing him live against Butcher and the Blade, tagging with Tomohiro Ishii, and the INTERNATIONAL FEED builds up to his hot tag that you don't get that when you watch the TV feed like a JERK!, LIKE A RUBE!   Then they preview the Ospreay versus Cassidy match and it looks like Ospreay will be able to make Cassidy look like a killer in their singles match.  Trent Barretta hits a great Backdrop Driver and also kills Ospreay with a Lariat in this match- sandwiched between a million other moves  Will Ospreay IS Shawn Michaels, in that he is a generational in ring worker, but I get the feeling he doesn't have a beef putting over other wrestlers or making them look good, so he's not like Shawn Michaels.  AEW needs to latch on to him.  And Aussie Open needs to work towards FTR, maybe at the next ROH PPV.  They are also fucking awesome.  Christian Cage is even better the second time around- as he assumes the role of an angry step father.  He even alludes to it as he refuses to assume his fathering responsibility.  That is fucking great. But then he assumes the role of Jungle Boy's father as he expresses his disappointment that JB isn't MAN enough to get up and fight after he was attacked.  Christian IS the Great Santini!  This is great.  HEY!  Kyle O'Riley isn't on the PPV!  HEY!  KOR would be a GREAT addition to the BCC!  HEY!  KOR versus Zack Sabre Jr would fucking RULE.  HEY!  Fuck Claudio,  Kyle O'Riley is the Danielson replacement!  YAAAY!  And Adam Cole is going to win the IWGP Heavyweight Championship by lowblowing Hangman Adam Page and lowering THE BOOM!  THAT WOULD RULE!  AEW IS IMPACT!  I still don't understand why Andrade, PENTA and Rey Fenix couldn't be on the PPV.  Meltzer refuses to give a straight answer so I don't think even he fully understands.  While you were watching picture in picture, like an IDIOT, we who have access to the INTERNATIONAL FEED got to hear Tony Schiavonne get really weird and slightly creepy talking about Malakai Black's long, muscular legs.  The match itself was a clinic by PENTA on how to get the crowd behind you while selling an injury.  He gets over the lingering effects of his back injury in that he would have won because his offense is so overpowering but he can't follow up because his back is all fucked up.  The Avalanche Fear Factor is a great example.  He sells his back long enough to make Black making the ropes on the two count make sense.  PENTA is fucking awesome.  Here, on Dark, anywhere.   Yeah, I think this all points towards PAC versus Malakai Black.  It's your next IWGP CHAMPION!  ADAM COLE!  INOKI! HASHIMOTO! KEIJI MUTO! ADAM COLE, BAY BAY!  Adam Page is like PENTA, he has to have a compelling match against whoever he wrestles.  I mean, I love Silas Young as much as the next ROH viewing, but he was the what? TENTH best guy on their roster?  I mean if this was Josh Woods, it would make sense that Hangman would give him this much.  I mean, I love Hangman Adam Page and his need to make every match clear the bar to being a great match.  He is like Ric Flair like that.  And it is on the big show.  If this was on Dark, this would be more like Flair versus Brad Armstrong on Worldwide.  Actually, this is a lot like Flair versus Brad Armstrong on Worldwide if I remember correctly.  That being said, I await the epic Silas Young/Konosuke Takeshita match on the next ROH PPV.  OKADA! OKADA! OKADA!  The big question is how will he distract the ref driving Jay White to the floor to let Adam Cole lowblow Hangman Page to lower the BOOM! to WIN THE IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE!  ADAM COLE ADAM COLE!  THEN BRITT BAKER ATTACKS THUNDER ROSA and TONI STORM!  THey ECW-like morph it into a three way and REBEL HITS TONI STORM WITH BRASS KNUCKLES AND BAKER WINS THE AEW WOMEN'S TITLE AND DMD AND ADAM COLE HAVE DOUBLE BELTS!  AWESOME!  Oh wait, lost my mind for a minute.  I love the look on Okada's face when he and Hangman first look at each other,  He is quizzical and curious.  Okada is so awesome.  I assume that Trish Adora is the new Baddie.  The outside candidate is the TURNING EVIl Willow Nightengale!  That would rule too.  The Baddie spot is great in that it milks off the overness of Jade Cargill and you get Stokely Hathaway to talk for you.  Who said the start of Shafir and Storm was BAttlARTSian, because it was, but Toni Storm is like Carl Greca in that she uses European matwork to counter the straight shootstyle of Mrs Roderick Strong.  Nyla's senton looked fucking GNARLEY.  Shafir looks fucking great in the Big INTERNATIONAL FEED picture, because Storm knows how to take her offense and make her look good.  Toni Storm is the Meiko Satomura of the AEW Women's division.  Just a complete wrestler who can make anyone look good, as this match being the example as this is the best Shafir match I've ever seen- and I've seen a couple good ones (mostly in strange places, like in Championship Wrestling from Hollywood/Atlanta.)  The finish is a roll-up so Shafir can beat on Storm postmatch and Nyla is our secret all star being a menace on the floor and attacking Storm postmatch.  Storm versus Nyla will be good.  I think they should just have Storm wrestle the other person who attacks her postmatch until eventually Kris Statlander attacks Storm after Storm pins Skye Blue.  Let me reveal a secret.  I never was very big on Tanahashi.  I hate the Slingblade when he does it.  He doesn't lay it in.  I do see the rube appeal of him though and I can see how he got so over.  He is the John Cena of New Japan Pro Wrestling.   He has so much charisma one can overlook his averageness in the ring.  I am sure Jon Moxley will pull a good match out of him because Jon Moxley will wrestle for 8 in that match.  Jericho should have put Tanahashi over in this match if they really wanted to heat up the PPV match.  Jericho does work his ass off in this match.  Sammy Guevara looks so right being a little jerky heel being sneaky and hateful at ringside, with his redneck girlfriend smoking cigarettes and drinking wine coolers right next to him.  Put the fucking belt on her!  While you were watching picture in picture, we few got to hear Jim Ross notice that Lord Regal has very beautiful hair.  Regal, is it JR or is it TAZZ?  WHO DO YOU LOVE?  Jericho is 51 years old and can still go.  I guess WWE HOUSE STYLE~! saved his body.  I'm guessing if he had gone the ROH route, he would be total physical wreck like those guys are.  Or if he would have gone to New Japan he would be a physical wreck like Tanahashi.  Jericho was the glue that kept that match together.  Lance Archer kind of sat out the match except to take the pin.  I just noticed that Sammy's coat says   SELF LOVE across the back.  What a great fucking heel!  The all stars of the post match melee are Wheeler Yuta and Daniel Garcia.  Minoru Suzuki is so fucking great revelling in the chaos.  Garcia going after Eddie Kingston is a match up that will endure forever.  AEW RULES!  ADAM COLE IS INEVITABLE!

Love the commercial free second edition. I partake in this weekly commercial free encore viewing ritual myself. Ppl were quick to try and bury Ospreay for being flippy dippy bullshit, but he's looked like a fucking beast during all these AEW appearances. Character-driven American style wrestling is his calling. It's going to be sad losing he and the Aussies (hopefully they aren't signed too long with NJPW). Schiavone admires Malakai's legs and I admired those muay thai shorts he used to wear. His tights always look like undies now. Goddamn do I hate pleather. Great bout, and glad to hear your voice of reason on the awesomeness of Penta. I wish all 2 count piledriver variations were treated like this. Slow to follow up, leg on rope, or barely gets the shoulder up from an exhausted JR-panned pin attempt. I haven't seen it mentioned, but having a Miro video in the midst of a Malakai-Pac confrontation was weak Titan-style. Silas Young is so good. The right booker presents him correctly. The easy way would be to pair him with another awesome hardnosed vet in a tag team alongside a capable mouthpiece. I didn't want to be the guy to stir the pot, but completely 100% agree on Tanahashi. Goddamn do I ever hate the 'sling blade'. What an awful move. I was thinking the same thing on Jericho doing the job to heat up the AEW Title match. I'm all for Lance doing the J-O-B, but they'd be smart to provide him a modicum of protection. Tay and Sammy are a gift to pro wrestling. I expect everybody shitting on them will pretend to always have been huge fans shortly. Christ-ian! Christ-ian! 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, chriskbrown50 said:

Older Randy Savage ?

Are we talking late '94 or early '99 Savage here? Because in '94 the body wasn't there, but the matches could be, if given a chance. In '99, the body WAS there, but the matches weren't anymore. Or split the difference and say '97?

• Like 1

Cassidy getting reactions out of Ospreay should be good. I do believe that. I just hope they milk the character stuff and don't go right to Cassidy turning it up to overcompensate for people's bitching.

Jericho backpeddling while Tanahashi was sending him back into the corner was very visually weird for some reason. Was it just me that though that?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Jericho backpeddling while Tanahashi was sending him back into the corner was very visually weird for some reason. Was it just me that though that?

The crowd seemed to agree. Oh, I think Dean's onto something concerning the Doctor. The fact that she isn't booked feels like she's most certainly interfering in the Women's title match to send the lesser worker home with her belt. I hope I'm wrong. Tho, World Champions don't seem to wrestle nearly as much, so maybe it's all for the better that Storm isn't strapped. Also, is it possible to explain the magic behind that Corner Ass Attack not killing these ladies? Dug Storm-Shafir like most, but Marina ought to have sold that ass attack a lil better. I have a feeling Toni's spank taunt prior to the attack is about to become a real money thing.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, chriskbrown50 said:

Christian's promo was cringe worthy heel greatness. Felt like a greatest hits of a heel promo (dead father, making money, past greatness).  It went a touch long but setup months worth of programming. Yeah the end is elevating Jungle Boy but it's great way to get him some real training. 

Okada and Tanahashi on my US TV live on a major cable network? Wow that thought 5 years ago was dream. Watching Tanahashi these days - Clearly reminds me of older wrestlers at the end of their career whose bodies are just not there anymore. But whose greatness is still apparent. Older Randy Savage ?

We'll see where they go with this. Just to be fair, people reamed out WWE when Paige referenced Reed Flair while feuding with Charlotte Flair. And there was a lot of backlash over it.

12 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

We'll see where they go with this. Just to be fair, people reamed out WWE when Paige referenced Reed Flair while feuding with Charlotte Flair. And there was a lot of backlash over it.

Seems like a bit of a huge difference between the untimely death of a 52 year old man and the suicide of a 25 year old. I didn't see said WWE reference, but here Christian used it as part of a larger family story rather than some simple shock tactic low hanging fruit. 

• Like 3

When needing to catch up on AEW shows from last week let's just say I skipped matches Ospreay was in.  Yes, even the Dax one and unless it's imperative to watch that then I'm good.  But watching last night live I paid much more attention to what Aussie Open was doing.  They have some unique moves that look really impressive.  And while I want to check them out more considering some of the reactions here I hope I'm not disappointed.