DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 6/22/2022

I feel sorry for whomever is Danielson's replacement if it isn't Claudio. I don't think it'll be a Rey #30 in the 2014 Rumble type of maddening boos or anything, but the crowd will be incredibly deflated if it's not him. I'm sure they'd pop for shitbum Gargano, so there's that, but I'll be dead inside. My love for AEW extinguished for good. ? If it's not Claudio at least let it be somebody good like the names thrown out here in Thatcher and Biff. Gresham in Blood and Guts would not fit at all. Ain't no need for complex pinning combinations in that match.

• Like 3

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
10 hours ago, DEAN said:

Sorry I'm late.  Went with the family to the Galaxy Diner to celebrate my son's 20th birthday. HE'S 20!  It was great fun.  I had a falafel burger with RANCH!

Galaxy Diner! I love that place. I remember the first time I went there and being massively confused because I didn't read the menu and wasn't expecting the "tomatoes or apples" question. I don't think I've ever ventured from the breakfast side of the menu but I might for that falafel burger, that sounds good.

Or I might just order black hole pancakes again. /shrug

2 minutes ago, Jenalysis said:

Thatcher is now with NOAH I think, and doesn't Busick  have some QAnon stuff?

The official line is "no"

but it could be a conspiracy, right?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I

• Whatever mystery fuckery went on with the Jay White four way because no goddamn way was that supposed to be a four way
  • Anything I'm missing?

I mean, it’s clear that TK was expecting Okada to be champ and to run Okada/Hanger, and NJPW just didn’t smarten him up. 

I *think* that when Jay won the belt, TK decided he didn’t want Hangman doing a job for him, which led us down this path to the 4-way, where we still get some Okada/Hanger interaction but also have Cole there to eat the fall.

• Like 4

I guess I'll be the odd person and say I thought Christian's promo lasted forever and contained him saying "See, here's the thing" about 100 times. Sometimes back to back. I think the content was good, but it was entirely too long to get to the real shit and so he had to ramble through too much of it. I was also amused at how Christian almost made himself break by saying Jungle Boy's mom was getting sweet on Christian Cage. It wasn't a bad promo or anything, it just went on too long.

My interest for Forbidden Door is now much, much higher than what it was even if some of the booking is weird. For instance, Jay White appears to have the ability to name his opponent for the title. He won't give Cole a shot, he won't give Page a shot, but suddenly Okada interferes and we get a 4-way for the title, which seems to mean that Jay White is really fucking stupid and decided to defend against three others at the same time? Ok then.

Also, having two 4-ways on the same PPV, with both involving titles is...weird. I mean, they're both giving me something I really want, so that's awesome. In one I get to see Okada and Hangman or Hangman and White go at it. In the other I get the dream - Miro and Ishii going at it. I think that has been one of my dream matches for a long time now. And even if they're in a 4-way, at some point those two monsters are going to square off and it's going to fucking rule.

Man, if this leads to Miro losing and Ishii winning and Miro is all like, "MY GOD IS NOW TELLING ME TO GO TO THE LAND OF THE RISING SUN SO I CAN KILL ISHII" then sign me up.

The mystery opponent is going to either be something cool like Cesaro, which presents another booking problem in AEW because it's another WWE guy and it's not like Cesaro is going to get more opportunities in AEW than he would in WWE. Or it's going to be really disappointing and it will be Gresham. I haven't been exposed to a ton of Gresham matches, but the dude is a charisma vacuum. I also don't think he's that great of a wrestler, but that's just me. Different tastes and all that.

Speaking of people I don't think are great wrestlers, man, every time I watch Tanahashi move it's just sad. I will give you that at one point he was one of the best wrestlers in the world, but now he's someone who has knees being held together with super glue and painters tape and watching the way he moves just takes me out of a match. Even still, I'm fairly confident he's going to have a great match with Moxley and I did like their stare down. Like, they're so laser focused on each other that they don't care about any of the chaos going on outside of the ring. I think that's the message they were trying to send and it would have been helpful for JR or Excalibur to call that out.

Rest of the show was pretty good, but it's weird being in this zone where they're booking for this bubble PPV and also booking for the following weeks of TV. Things should hopefully get simpler once Forbidden Door is out of the way and we can get back to whatever angles are booked in the short term and then see what the booking is going to be for All Out.

• Like 3

I just think Tony doesn't know how to build to a 4-way. There is no real established template for it, other than "a bunch of people all say they want a match and we just throw them all in together".

Even on this show, where they obviously knew where they were going with it, it was still a mess. Didn't seem like we were getting a 4-way. White told both Hangman and Cole flat out that they're not getting title shots. Then Okada shows up, and suddenly EVERYONE gets a title shot. Why? Who knows! (edit: Craig said this exact same thing while I was writing my post!)

I DID say at least a week ago that I thought a 4-way was the end goal, just because once Hangman says he wants a title shot against Okada and puts that in people's heads, you at least need to have Hangman and Okada in the same match with the title on the line.

Edited by S.K.o.S.
  • Like 2

I will not be disappointed if it's Claudio. (I will be bummed out if it's Gargano but I have friends who will be thrilled. And also internet friends who will be way more bummed than me). I kind of suspect they'd have given us a name, though, if it was one of them. I go into it more in the Forbidden thread, but I hope it's someone unexpected but good enough to win the crowd over by the end of the match and make sense in BCC with Regal influencing their style.

Honestly, I hope it's Nick Wayne. 

I LOVED how happy Bryan seemed to be, just saying "pro wrestling" again and again. 

For me personally, ZSJ coming out on with the Lion Mark behind him, on Dynamite, was pure uncut mark out material. If AEW's primary goal today was "make Gordlow as happy as possible" then they completely succeeded. (that was probably not among their actual goals).

Okada showing up, Suzuki showing up, Darby just casually tossing out "Shingo and Hiromu" like it's no big deal. I don't think my (beautiful and talented) daughters, who are 10 and 7 years old, were this excited at Christmas.

Full heel Christian is more fun than good guy Christian. Bad Dinosaur Man will likely be fun, too. Jungle Bloke's Amazing Journey has the potential to be genuinely great, like the long Hangman arc.

The little kid screaming STFU was truly delightful.

I asked for Deeb and Mercedes at  the top of this thread, and we are getting it on Wednesday. You are welcome. Or possibly thank you. Depending on who is reading this.

Malakai vs PAC vs Ishii vs MIRO should be unsane, as well. Likewise Matt, Nick, Hiromu, Phantasmo, and Darby all in the same match. trying to top one another. With Shingo. And Sting. And Hikuleo to base for them.

The actual wrestling was fun, too! In particular how Fletcher just died from the Orange Punch. And the Ass Attack. 

Good Lord! We are getting Cobb vs Cash! 

I was so happy to be able to sing along with Malakai's theme again!!

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The IWGP 4 way situation is one of those rare occasions where it really would’ve been helpful for AEW to have some kind of authority figure who could walk out on stage and say, “I just spoke with President Ohbari, Jay, and he said that at Forbidden Door you’ll be defending your title against ALL THREE OF THESE MEN,” as opposed to just dropping it in a graphic like two segments later with no explanation.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

I was so happy to be able to sing along with Malakai's theme again!!

SOMETHING~! SOMETHING~!  YAAAAA~!!  YAAAAHHHH~!!

28 minutes ago, EVA said:

I *think* that when Jay won the belt, TK decided he didn’t want Hangman doing a job for him, which led us down this path to the 4-way, where we still get some Okada/Hanger interaction but also have Cole there to eat the fall.

What he said.  The four-way is a compromise and stinks of politics, but it gives the fans the appearances they expect to see on a PPV card like Forbidden Door.  Cole will be the sacrificial lamb so that Hangman, White, and Okada can remain strong.

Cole can afford the job since he was already booked strong in the Owen Hart tournament and has a vanity title to carry around.  He'll be an AEW World Championship contender regardless of what happens in this match.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

I cannot wait for the absolute meltdown when Adam Cole wins.

Add Tana winning the AEW Title so we can have an NJPW rep as AEW Champ and an AEW rep as NJPW champ. 2022 is gonna go bonkers!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Shartnado said:

More Baddies? Any suggestions?

Rementioning Sonny Kiss as I want to will it into existence, but I guess they need someone who normally fights women for the proposed 3 on 3. Although Kiss vs Statlander is a match I never knew I wanted until just now.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

I cannot wait for the absolute meltdown when Adam Cole wins.

I am actually praying for Cole to hit the Boom on the guy that Okada hits with the Rainmaker and steal the win.  My preferred victim is Jay White.

Twitter will be consumed by smark rage.

3 minutes ago, Leonidas said:

Rementioning Sonny Kiss as I want to will it into existence, but I guess they need someone who normally fights women for the proposed 3 on 3. Although Kiss vs Statlander is a match I never knew I wanted until just now.

Sonny Kiss as a Baddie is now the thing I need to happen that I did not know that I wanted to happen.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

I love how Jay White annunciates the word "catalyst" in his promos as if he expects everyone in the crowd to know what a catalyst does.

JAY WHITE, THE CATTLE LIST OF PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING~!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, onelegbrynn said:

I'll be honest. I have like little to no interest in Forbidden Door. All the stars that I would've wanted to pay to see on the PPV have already been featured on Dynamite and/or Rampage. The card looks really bizarre and it's kinda like they threw darts to see what would stick, especially for those multi-man tag matches. That's not to say it's not going to be a great show, it probably will be, but I'm more interested in Blood & Guts and getting back to some sense of normalcy post-PPV.

100% this.

All these random [NJPW wrestler/faction] shows up and attacks [AEW wrestler/faction] only to helped by [AEW or NJPW wrestler with no real connection] feuds kind of remind me of when WWE would make Survivor Series a brand vs brand show and guys who have no history would randomly team or feud because of "brand supremacy". "Hey remember these two guys who hated each other? Well they're going to team up and wrestle some guys they were previously friends with because they were randomly drafted to Smackdown this year while the others weren't!" 

See I know Mox has been "after" Tanahashi for however long but his whole promo about wanting to defeat him so he can be called the "Ace" is so counter to his AEW "I just wanna fight" persona, especially since he's in the middle of a vicious blood feud with a faction that his injured his friend. It'd be like if in the middle of John Wick, he stopped chasing the baddies who wronged him and his family, to compete in a car race or something.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I also just realized we glossed over the most important people to make it on Forbidden Door...

Forbidden Door (June 26) Preview | NEW JAPAN PRO-WRESTLING

I mean, you can't leave the most over guy on the roster off of the show. I also don't think I'll ever get tired of Billy Gunn seemingly loving Max and Bowens more than his own kids.

Who is the David Starr mashed with Dan Severn looking guy?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I love how Jay White annunciates the word "catalyst" in his promos as if he expects everyone in the crowd to know what a catalyst does.

JAY WHITE, THE CATTLE LIST OF PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING~!

AH thank you.  I forgot the third BRANDING STATEMENT~! behind "Switchblade Era" and "Breathe with the Switchblade" (whatever the fuck that means).  Dude is corny as fuck.. 

Just now, Technico Support said:

AH thank you.  I forgot the third BRANDING STATEMENT~! behind "Switchblade Era" and "Breathe with the Switchblade" (whatever the fuck that means).  Dude is corny as fuck.. 

How dare you denigrate the Knife Pervert.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2