DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 6/22/2022

I feel like ZSJ should be going over, assuming there's a plan to eventually run the Bryan match, so I don't think it'd be Claudio in that case, coming in and losing straight away. I don't think Gresham would be a hyped surprise since he's been on AEW TV already (and also ROH Champion) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

That ending with Mox and Tanahashi staring at each other making Triple H faces at each other while an actual all-in fight is going on around them, is such a prime example of not booking angles to ensure characters are consistent in their actions.

Nothing Mox has done has shown that he would prefer to do stupid goofy sports-entertainment shit like that, rather than get involved with the fight going on around him.

It seemed like a timing issue with the match ending with way too much time left on the show, hence the awkwardly long staring into each other. If it had only been the last 15sec or the show right before fading to black it would have come off much better.

• Like 1

Ok...FUCK YOU Christian Cage! Eat shit! If he corrupts Luchasaurus on top of that, then... oh, man! You're like a son to me, my ass! Well, makes sense you'd father a lizard, you slimy bastard!

Silas Young was amazing. His entrance video and music was too!

Aussie Open is eating falls here. I hope they get something from this, as they seem really impressive.

OC was trying, you could tell. The kinesio tape was applied only so-so, at least.

So, yes. The card filled up nicely and Andrade and Fenix get to main event Rampage as a consolation prize.

Interesting names thrown around here, regarding Bryan's replacement. I was thinking CSRO, obviously, but we'll see.

Black and Penta had a hell of a match, but once Penta's back was gone, he was a sitting duck. CMLL goes phew.

More Baddies? Any suggestions?

Main Event I need to watch again at some point.

Edited by Shartnado
Other stuff..
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Log said:

On the way to daycare dropoff today, my son and I were discussing tonight's Dynamite.  Penta and Fenix are his favorite wrestlers.  We were talking about the Penta/Black match tonight.  He said he wants Black to win.  I'm like, "What? I thought Penta was your favorite?" He says he wants him to lose because he doesn't want him to get beat up by Miro.  "Miro is the toughest wrestler" according to him.

Your son is obviously already has the capability of thinking ahead. "Look, dad, it will be for the best if Black takes that beating, instead!" Wonderful.

• Like 5

What a great go home show!  I miss the days of the WCW A and B shows that fed into the WCW vs New Japan Supershow where just about anything could happen and usually did.  This episode of Dynamite felt really big!  The only thing missing from the lead-up to Forbidden Door was something like House of Torture coming to America and publicly assassinating Larry Lazard, Terry Yaki, & Jay Lucas on AEW Dark.  Kinda like when Mr. Saito and Kensuke Sasaki murdered the Southern Posse on live television during an episode of WCW Worldwide right before Starrcade '95.

Lots and lots of great wrestling last night and Storm vs. Shafir was the violent bag of potatoes that I expected it to be.  Even Nyla's cheating spots were super stiff. 

OKADA~!  TANAHASHI~!  SUZUKI~!  HOLY FUCK~!

I am bummed that Danielson is not clear to wrestle a classic against ZSJ.  I wish they would just pull the trigger and announce Claudio's involvement or have ZSJ work Naito since Naito is conspicuously not working the PPV.

Milwaukee is a hot wrestling city.  Richmond and the rest of the cities in Horseman Country need to step the fuck up and represent. We should be ashamed of ourselves.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

When Luchasaurus had Christian in the corner, I was so ready for like a chokeslam or something to immediately diminish the heat. Blessedly they avoided such a mistake.

Oh, and Luchasaurus is a bad friend.

He's 65 million years old. I wouldn't waste my time bonding with humans either.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Man, what a mixed bag of a show.  We've already talked about the post Double or Nothing booking curveballs that have made this thing kind of an unfocused mess.  Now I'm just hoping the company gets some needed direction once Forbidden Door is out of the way.  This is starting to feel like that WWE show that got all screwed up by ELEVATED LIVER ENZYMES. 

All the in-ring stuff was good to great, but, as has been the case for a few weeks now, the booking and extracurriculars are on a scale from "somewhat lacking" to "a real fucking mess."

Is this the first AEW show with multiple talking segments in hour one where the actual wrestling content suffered?  Having the second match of the night start at 47 minutes after the hour was certainly different.

That Danielson promo was rough.  It started fine but that buildup, only to end with "I'm not telling you," murdered the crowd.

Meltzer is speculating that Danielson's replacement will be Claudio, which is awesome.

How tall are the Aussie Open guys?  They look bizarre in there with the house style smaller dudes, like some kind of NBA Jam cheat code, or how the refs were not coded to scale up or down along with the rest of the early Madden games, so you could zoom out touchdown replays and a massive ref would run onto the field.

Speaking of football, it's Bill Cowher!  Oh no, wait, that's Silas Young.  Cool to see him and really good match.

I hope that's the end of House of Black vs Death Triangle but probably not.

Awesome that they got Okada, but two four ways on one show is weird, especially with so many other multiman matches as well.  I know it's to get a lot of guys on the show while also being able to navigate the political minefield of who gets beat, but it's still really messy.

The announce team alternates between "this is an invasion, we could be working for New Japan!" and "we're honored to have Tanahashi here!" and I have no idea what the fuck is going on.

Okay, so Rosa was definitely sandbagging Shafir OR Rosa just is not that good, because I saw none of those "Shafir is green" issues tonight.

That huge brawl at the end went SO long.  It was some Naked Gun fireworks factory shit.

Can't Excalibur pretape the promo packages?

How can Christian pull off a YOUR DAD IS DEAD cheap heat promo that somehow doesn't feel cheap and I'm not skeeved about it the same way I would if MJF did it?  Pure mastery, there!

Rampage looks really good!

Statlander and Athena getting a counterpoint goofy promo was excellent.

Though Darby adding two more big NJPW stars in an offhanded way in a dull promo was certainly a choice, I did pop for their team being called DUDES WITH ATTITUDES in the graphic.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 6

If you're looking for someone who is already an AEW talent, has some history with Danielson, and hasn't had the chance to show his full potential yet (which accounts for the vague bigging-up Danielson did), Lee Moriarty fits the bill. But would the fans buy it? Probably not at first.

Is Joe booked?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, eikerir said:

It seemed like a timing issue with the match ending with way too much time left on the show, hence the awkwardly long staring into each other. If it had only been the last 15sec or the show right before fading to black it would have come off much better.

Going from "Tony Khan says we're going to stay with this match no matter what" to ending with 7 minutes left was pretty funny.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

I feel like ZSJ should be going over, assuming there's a plan to eventually run the Bryan match, so I don't think it'd be Claudio in that case, coming in and losing straight away. I don't think Gresham would be a hyped surprise since he's been on AEW TV already (and also ROH Champion) 

Sabre being left in the dark on who he has to face will be the reasoning for the loss in his wonderful post-match-tantrum-promo.

It seems like a no brainer to be running NJPW video packages on the weekly show and youtube. I wonder why they've been so apprehensive to use a little TV time for something seemingly pretty important? Who outside the bubble knows who Hiromu and Shingo are to be simply name dropped like that?

'Dudes with Attitudes', tho, right on!

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Can't Excalibur pretape the promo packages?

Another no brainer. AEW's doing a wonderful job putting on great matches amongst many other things, but I'd love to see them start considering some of these minor changes that could exponentially help the flow and the 'know' of the show. Let things breathe a little. No better example than the silliness quoted there. That and curbing those card rundowns in the middle of the bouts (tho, not a noticeable issue this week). The boss' busy production sometimes feels like an indy spotfest with no selling. No need to overstuff.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

That ending with Mox and Tanahashi staring at each other making Triple H faces at each other while an actual all-in fight is going on around them, is such a prime example of not booking angles to ensure characters are consistent in their actions.

Nothing Mox has done has shown that he would prefer to do stupid goofy sports-entertainment shit like that, rather than get involved with the fight going on around him.

I had the complete opposite reaction to this. Great characters have layers, and I like how that scene painted a picture of Mox being so laser-focused on winning the AEW title that he was able to resist joining in on the brawl. Really sold how important the title and the match with Tana is to him.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Phil Schneider said:

Timothy Thatcher and Biff Busick would both work if it isn’t Claudio, maybe Gresham although that would be a let down

Biff is a good shout. He would still be a disappointment to a lot of people, but of the possible disappointments, he’s the one most likely to have a crowdpleasing, violent match.

Plus, he’s recently bled with Mox, so he already meets that criteria for entry to the BCC.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 2

I'll be honest. I have like little to no interest in Forbidden Door. All the stars that I would've wanted to pay to see on the PPV have already been featured on Dynamite and/or Rampage. The card looks really bizarre and it's kinda like they threw darts to see what would stick, especially for those multi-man tag matches. That's not to say it's not going to be a great show, it probably will be, but I'm more interested in Blood & Guts and getting back to some sense of normalcy post-PPV.

I think the main reason this show feels very lackluster to me is that they're working off the assumption that everyone knows who these New Japan people are. I only know people like Ospreay, Ishii, Suzuki, Okada and Tanahashi because I've either heard their names before or have seen them in places stateside like ROH, AEW, Impact, etc. They (being AEW) could've done a better job at introducing the wrestlers who haven't been shown on their TV before with video packages, highlights, etc to hype them up and get the casual fan more excited.

As far as who the mystery person will be facing Zack Sabre Jr, the most likely bet is Claudio/Cesaro. Although, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Chris Hero pop up too. Gresham would be an interesting choice too, especially if they're working towards an ROH relaunch and the ROH champ beating one of the top technical wrestlers in the New Japan (as ZSJ is touted to be) would be a very interesting thing to help catapult towards that and the rumored next ROH PPV (which could be sometime in July I've heard).

• Like 7

I support AEW poaching TJP for the weekend and putting him in the ring against ZSJ in a battle of which man is having the best year so far.  Both guys are pretty much the supporting cast aces of their respective federations right now.  TJP is quietly carrying the MLW upper card on his shoulders and dragging epics out of Davey Richards and all of the visiting technicos from AAA and he doesn't even hold a belt.  TJP can also eat the loss and still return triumphant to MLW and kill Myron Reed for the Middleweight title at some point in the future.

Plus how can you miss with the booking of workers who both refer to themselves by their initials?  ZSJ VS TJP~! 

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I would love to know what the card was supposed to be before we got various fuckery.  The matches I know of were:

• Punk vs Tanahashi for the AEW title
  • Andrade vs Ospreay for the NJPW US title
  • ZSJ vs Danielson

Things that fucked with this card:

• Punk's injury
  • Danielson's injury
  • MJF's bullshit
  • Jeff's DUI (maybe?)
  • NJPW/Mexico politics
  • NJPW's standard operating procedure of not announcing anything until the currently-being-promoted show is over
  • Whatever mystery fuckery went on with the Jay White four way because no goddamn way was that supposed to be a four way
  • Anything I'm missing?
Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

Man, Shafir vs Storm was good as hell.  The quasi-Battlarts opening ruled, as did them just throwing nasty push kicks into each other's chests.  Pairing her with Nyla, who has charisma to spare, is a really good choice.  They could run this back a few more times (or give us Shafir vs Hayter) and I'd be thrilled.

• Like 5

I know he's in the tag match that'll have storyline ramifications down the line, but with the year he's having - give Dax ZSJ at Forbidden Door. I'd love to see the real best wrestler in the world right now get his hands on Sabre.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Phil Schneider said:

Timothy Thatcher and Biff Busick would both work if it isn’t Claudio, maybe Gresham although that would be a let down

Thatcher is now with NOAH I think, and doesn't Busick  have some QAnon stuff?