DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 6/22/2022

23 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Creepy Little Bastard is back. What a savage promo by Christian Cage.

The only way that segment could’ve ruled harder is if Christian would’ve brought out Luke Perry’s tv son to bury jungle boy even more. Tbs would be a step up from cw…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think if they had Claudio locked up, they would have announced him tonight. The show needed help, not more uncertainty. Only reason you don’t announce tonight is if you don’t have anybody lined up yet (yikes) or you know it’s going to be a big step down in star power and at least if people are disappointed on Sunday you already have their money.

• Like 5

Heel Christian promo was my favorite thing of the night. Christian dressed as a French ski instructor from the 70s was a refreshingly subversive look for a heel. To paraphrase Roger Ebert, you never see heels wearing Harris Tweed, except maybe in Hitchcock. Loved the aftermath with Luchasaurus too. Luchasaurus should become like the Minoton from Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger, just a mute engine of horror doing all of Christian/Zenobia's bidding. Guessing Jungle Boy will have to defeat his large former partner before finally beating Christian and then getting a title shot down the line.

Okada showing up was great. Wish his entrance has more grandeur to it but I think they wanted to have him run down and beat people up rather than stand around stoically in case the crowd didn't react. Whatever. I'm excited he's there. Four way sounds like a mess but I'm weirdly optimistic. 

I'm probably in the tiny minority of people who hated the Aussie Open six man. Kinda feels like "being a great athlete" is the new garbage wrestling. It's the same shit every night but the crowd always chants "this is awesome" because it's a spectacle watching guys fly around and invent new moves. Although I loved Marufuji and KENTA back when they were doing crazy stuff every night to pop the crowd way back when and it was definitely not cool to like those matches in most online circles. Now it's like you're a hater if you're bored by it. I wish that All Atlantic title was a shoot style title just so we didn't have so many stunt show matches like this on every card. That's what IIIIIIIIII wish. I also wish Deeb, Statlander, Eddie Kingston and Evil Uno were the four pillars. Objectively this six man was excellent I just found it very boring. I've never seen Aussie Open before but Jesus Christ are they in a completion with their mentor Ospreay as to who can sell worse? So much flopping around, so many dumb facial expressions, Ospreay holding his arms in the air while on his back which somehow broke the fourth wall for me more than anything the other guy in the match who fights with his hands in his pockets did... seriously, it was like all three of them were channelling Scott Hall and Omos at the same time every time they sold something. I believe people when they say Aussie Open are good and maybe this was their nerves acting up being on a new stage but this was some goofy shit. 

Main event was AWESOME. Tanahashi is awesome. Maybe of Ospreay and Aussie Open one day blow their knees out like Tanahashi did they'll have to stop doing dumb contrived spots all the time and become a great wrestler like Hiroshi Tanahashi. Omega used to be a ridiculous gimmick wrestler and slowly became an insanely good wrestler. I do not pretend that there aren't exceptions to the rule I just think there are a million guys right now who wrestle like Ibushi, Will Ospreay, Jay White and Hangman and they are all largely devoid of personality, or at least likeable personality. It's why I totally get the KOR hate even though I also get that he's "objectively a very good wrestler". Sometimes a guy just sucks BECAUSE he looks dumb and acts goofy. I think it honestly comes down to acting ability. The four guys I just mentioned are all horrible actors. Orange Cassidy does way goofier stuff in terms of his spots and offense but he never hams it up. When Ibushi "goes into the zone" or whatever and starts killing guys while all stone faced I tune out. When Hangman suddenly has crises of conscience before the finish of a match I roll my eyes. It's why Shawn always sucked and was a clown and Bret was always good. 

The brawl at the end with Moxley and Tanahashi standing in the ring was cool. Actually kind of made me forget it's for the interim title and not Punk's title. Excalibur trying to explain who everyone was while like 40 guys were all killing each other was funny. 

I like the new matches they added to the PPV. Definitely more excited than I was last week. Danielson being hurt is a huge bummed and he did admirably trying to keep the crowd happy in spite of delivering the bad news. Like everyone else I'm assuming Claudio is the mystery man. Is there any possibility it's someone totally underwhelming and that's why they're not announcing him ahead of time? 

Loved the Baddies promo with Tony's drumroll. Loved Statlander showing her goofy side during the rebuttal. I had never heard of Silas before but I enjoyed the surly Milwaukee defiantly crowd chanting his name against the revered former champion. Marina Shafir did good I thought, don't really get why everyone rags on her. Hoping Deeb doesn't fade too quickly into the background after such an awesome performance at DoN. That is pretty much all. 

EDIT: okay also Christian needs to bring back Marko Stunt as his underling Sideshow Luke Perry.

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
  • Like 5

That ending with Mox and Tanahashi staring at each other making Triple H faces at each other while an actual all-in fight is going on around them, is such a prime example of not booking angles to ensure characters are consistent in their actions.

Nothing Mox has done has shown that he would prefer to do stupid goofy sports-entertainment shit like that, rather than get involved with the fight going on around him.

• Like 6

Christian with an all time top Dynamite promo and what I kinda assume was a little dig in the direction of MJF with the payscale comment, no? Too ‘inside baseball’? Loved that six man and most everything on this show, and more than accept the odd folllies. I like the uncertainty of Danielson’s mystery selection for Sunday that lesser choices are making the rounds. It’ll make a Claudio debut a little more special. Are the Aussies officially signed to New Japan? I love what they and Ospreay have done with this opportunity? And where’s  the @DEANreport already!? 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 4

Maybe I'm misreading it, but I think the Danielson replacement is someone the AEW audience isn't necessarily super familiar with. Danielson was saying something like "Trust me, this guy's good," and that was a while before he said he wouldn't tell us who it was. Like, he wouldn't have to do that sort of hard sell for Cesaro, because people already know how good Cesaro is.

I also don't think Gresham would be a great fit for the BCC or the Blood & Guts match.

Sorry I'm late.  Went with the family to the Galaxy Diner to celebrate my son's 20th birthday. HE'S 20!  It was great fun.  I had a falafel burger with RANCH!  That's right- RANCH!  Bryan Danielson comes out and.... Danielson isn't going to compete.  That ain't no good.  His replacement?  I'm guessing Claudio.  ZACK SABRE JR!  I was digging the idea of KOR vs ZSJ but we'll see what's what Sunday.  Orange Cassidy, Trent Barretta and Rocky Romero take on Will Ospreay and Aussie Open!  I guess I need to learn Aussie Open's names.  Mark Davis is the powerhouse.  United Empire catches the Chaos/Best Friends contingent and slams all three against the apron!  Will Ospreay hits a cool spinning backbreaker in picture in picture.  Ah, Kyle Fletcher is the speedy guy.  Aussie Open make Orange Cassidy look like 3 million bucks.  Ospreay joins in by making Trent look like 2 million bucks.  Ospreay then makes Cassidy look like 3 million bucks.  So the United Empire are just motherfucking great.  Aussie Open just fucking CRUSH Romero with a very elaborate Snap Powerbomb.  This match is motherfucking GREAT.  So much stuff happens, it's like Young Bucks match.  United Empire can just flat out GO.  It's like the Thunderqueen Battle between AJW and JPW in microcosm.  Heel Christian is the Best Possible Christian.  Children are chanting "Shut the fuck up!"  Ah, stay classy Milwaukee.  Christian Cage is the new MJF!  AWESOME!  I await Christian versus Jungle Boy now.  That was fucking great.  So the Young Bucks are in a 8 man against... Sting, Darby, Hook and Danhausen?  And who else?  PENTA hits a fucking AWESOME Tope Con Hilo!  But hurts his back!  Malakai Black targets the back thusly!  He works the back during picture in picture.  Man, I can;t wait to watch this match on the INTERNATIONAL FEED because it looks awesome in the tiny screen.  PENTA is great at telling a story and the story he tells here is that his back hurts a lot.  Malakai Black can't put him away until he does.  TOPROPE FEAR FACTOR!  PENTA selling the back is such good psychology.  PENTA is fucking awesome.  Oh man, I wanna see PAC versus Malakai Black.  That match was great.  Adam Cole!  Silas Young?  Sure!  Why not!  HAngman Adan Page wrestles Silas Young and the Milwaukee crowd is into it.  Maybe Milwaukee is the greatest wrestling crowd on earth.  Adam Cole is great putting over Silas Young. They kill time during the picture in picture.  Silas Young looks great in this match.  I assume ROH TV is coming up pretty soon.  I await Fred Yehi to show up.  I await seeing this match on the INTERNATIONAL FEED too.  This match was great too.  What a night of wrestling.  HOLY FUCK! KAZUCHIKA OKADA!  I don't quite understand what match this makes but OKADA!  Marina Shafir!  Hey, she's with Nyla!  Toni Storm goes all World of Sport before laying it in.  Nyla sentons Storm on the floor!  And they go to picture in picture!  I await the INTERNATIONAL FEED tomorrow!  I hate watching this like a common rube!  So Milwaukee is the best wrestling crowd on EARTH?  Toni Storm is over in Milwaukee and they were MOLTEN for a match against Marina Shafir?  I might need to move to Milwaukee.  OH MAN!  SHINGO TAKAGI AND HIROMU TAKAHASHI WITH DARBY ALLIN AND STING!  I guess that is waaaay smarter than Allin versus Himoru- in that no one would survive.  Moxley and Tanahashi are awesome standing there.  Tana is our face in peril!  Mox throws Jericho into a table- something he usually does in picture in picture!  Sammy interferes!  Archer is feeling it, beating on Moxley!  As we go to picture in picture!  Will Mox throw someone else into a table?  TAY CONTI INTERFERES!  This is fun.  It will be more fun on the INTERNATIONAL FEED.  THAT match was fucking GREAT.  What a night of wrestling.  Your ALL STAR of the evening is the Milwaukee crowd.  Hey!  MINORU SUZUKI!  It's the SHOOTER!  It's DANIEL GARCIA!  So fun.  AEW RULES THE ENTIRE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Maybe I'm misreading it, but I think the Danielson replacement is someone the AEW audience isn't necessarily super familiar with. Danielson was saying something like "Trust me, this guy's good," and that was a while before he said he wouldn't tell us who it was. Like, he wouldn't have to do that sort of hard sell for Cesaro, because people already know how good Cesaro is.

I also don't think Gresham would be a great fit for the BCC or the Blood & Guts match.

Who could it possibly be other than Claudio? There's nobody else I can think of who could fit the bill that the fans wouldn't completely shit all over

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Who could it possibly be other than Claudio? There's nobody else I can think of who could fit the bill that the fans wouldn't completely shit all over

I don't have a specific guess besides "someone who hasn't been in AEW much or at all". I don't see that ZSJ match being high on the ppv card, and there's enough star power in the Blood & Guts match even with a downgrade from Danielson. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

You can see one of the guys Tanahashi high-fived making the “never washing this hand” joke to his friend. 

Edit: AxB beat me to it in another thread. 

Edited by (BP)

I know this story ends with Jungle beating Christian but, man, if it were me it would be a long chase for that W. Give Christian the first match and make Jungle go on a long journey and show true growth to get to Christian's level. Let Christian ride this wave and give him some real juice before he puts over Jungle. That was tremendous even if he slipped a bit in the setup to the dad line. Heel Christian is god tier. 

• Like 9

...well, that figures. At least Okada wasn't in a full-blown match. 

Actually, at the moment I'm feeling more relieved that I didn't miss a chance to chant "Kaze ni Nare." 

I think I am starting to be swayed to the camp holding the belief that AEW tries to pack too much in to their shows. I didn't hate that Christian segment, but I felt it could've been a little shorter to help fit in other things. That Shafir/Storm match maybe could've also waited. Here's why: for those who are not avid NJPW followers, Zack Sabre Jr. is an entertaining talker, with his post-match backstage segments usually being a highlight amongst NJPW's roster. Don't just rush him out to the stage to yell for ten seconds, give him a mic. He's plenty capable. Let him introduce himself to a new audience, give Danielson a retort to help build up the match on Sunday, then plant seeds to a future match between the two so it's not off the table for good. I feel that was a missed opportunity.

I'm with the rest of you: Danielson's replacement has to be Claudio. They have history, so does Claudio and Regal. Just about anything else will be something of a letdown.

I'm happy there will be LIJ representation at Forbidden Door. Seemed like AEW was careful to avoid mentioning that stable name.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I know this story ends with Jungle beating Christian but, man, if it were me it would be a long chase for that W. Give Christian the first match and make Jungle go on a long journey and show true growth to get to Christian's level. Let Christian ride this wave and give him some real juice before he puts over Jungle. That was tremendous even if he slipped a bit in the setup to the dad line. Heel Christian is god tier. 

In addition to this, I feel this could be AEW’s first great “wrestler x solves wrestler y” match series. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 3