DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 6/22/2022

Chris Jericho & Lance Archer vs. Jon Moxley & Hiroshi Tanahashi

Will Ospreay & Aussie Open vs. Orange Cassidy & Roppongi Vice

All-Atlantic Championship – Qualifying Match: Penta Oscuro vs. Malakai Black

Bryan Danielson Will Address Forbidden Door and Blood & Guts

Presumably they will sneak a ladies match on there as well. Please please please one of the awesome killer violent tags like on the recent YouTube shows.

I guess we will find out if the slumping same day US TV ratings - which are essentially meaningless in the age of DVRs and timeshifting - are genuinely due to AEW featuring too many guys from The Orient without carefully explaining who they all are (and also not booking the show exactly the way we would fantasy book it ourselves, which would guarantee huge ratings)... 

Or maybe it was just the NHL playoffs on Wednesday and the Price is Right 50th Anniversary on Friday.

Anyway: that's three hawt matches and one intriguing segment announced there! Good enough for me, though I will be working Thursday mornings this week and thus won't be able to watch 'live' (Though it does mean that I will be able to watch Forbidden Door as it's happening, for which I am stoked)

Presumably Dynamite will give us another match or two to be stoked about... 

Hopefully it's not true that CMLL doesn't want the LlJ trademark used in AEW and they add Shingo and Hiromu. 

Even if it ends up being, say, Yujiro Takahashi added to the show, at least that means we might get Pieter on the PPV, which could be fun... and I will not settle down so don't bother asking.

So after I eventually catch up on Dynamite, I will either be way more stoked for Forbidden Door (because Bryan vs ZSJ and Shingo and Hiromu vs Young Bucks or something like that) or just as stoked as I already am, (which is very stoked).

Moxley vs. Tana title match
Ospreay vs. Orangey Boy IWGP US title match
Thunder vs. Storm women’s title match
FTR (c) vs. Khan on the Cobb (c) vs. Roppongi Vice  ROH & IWGP tag titles match

PAC vs. Miro vs. Malakai Black or Penta Oscura vs. Ishii All-Atlantic title match 

Eddie Kingston, Shota Umino & Wheeler Yuta vs. Chris Jericho, Minoru Suzuki & Sammy Guevara
Jay vs. ??? IWGP World Heavyweight title match (or even some kind of tag match instead)

Hopefully Dragon vs ZSJ

Honestly, that's more than good enough for me already.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

Guess they’re trying to get their money’s worth trying to get Shafir over.

We can see the extent of how far Storm can carry someone to a great tv ready match rather than extended squashes.

• Like 1

We will see tonight on Dynamite, but if he is not ready to wrestle at FD it would be terrible if AEW made him appear days before the PPV to say that he has not been cleared and that he will not be competing for quite a while. That's one of the reasons that makes me optimistic, they can't be that stupid, right? It's like "hey, we planned to do Danielson vs Sabre but you are not going to have it! And rembember, order the PPV this sunday!"

• Like 1

I'm ready to be wrong, but I think since it says "addresses Forbidden Door and Blood & Guts" and not "addresses his future" or anything, that he's likely going to accept the Sabre challenge and then start the slow dissolution of the Blackpool Combat Club by dropping out of Blood & Guts (because why help Eddie Kingston after he treated you like collateral damage at Double Or Nothing and tried to set you on fire along with Jericho?) BCC was never going to be a long term thing, it always seemed like a way to get Mox and Danielson on a collision course for a turn and then an eventual feud.

I have absolute faith in Toni Storm to be able to help Marina Shafir have a good LIVE wrestling match.

Seems so weird to have Penta/Malakai when everyone online knows that Penta probably isn't going to be allowed to work Forbidden Door because of CMLL or whatever. Just seems like a forgone conclusion type of match, and honestly I'm so done with this Death Triangle/House of Black stuff, so hopefully this the end of it.

I've never seen Aussie Open before, and I don't like Ospreay that much, so my excitement levels for that six man is kind of low. I also don't care about Roppongi Vice, much rather have Chuck Taylor than Rocky Romero, but whatever. Chuck Taylor is losing all of his best friends, and he can't even be a spooky pervert to join the Dark Order. Fuck!

Finally: I know everyone isn't expecting a coin drop tonight, and that press release had an IWGP title defense listed, but I'm still going with Okada/Hangman versus White/Cole. Although, being away from your pregnant wife for almost a week might be too much (or maybe he flies back? who knows), but until it doesn't happen, this is what I expect to happen tonight. If it doesn't: who does White face? He doesn't want to face Adam Cole or Hangman, and is seemingly free to book his own match for the show.

By god, it's Jay White versus MJF for the IWGP title, isn't it?!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Gordlow said:

Even if it ends up being, say, Yujiro Takahashi added to the show, at least that means we might get Pieter on the PPV, which could be fun... and I will not settle down so don't bother asking.

I totally approve of Pieter coming to America if it means that her boo, Bad Luck Fale, smashes someone at the PPV.  The black rabbit costume would just be bonus.  So many adolescent boys will discover their manhood at the PPV when she struts out.

Danielson announces tonight that he will work ZSJ at the PPV or GTFO.

Shafir and Storm will either be really good or really bad.   Either way, it will still be fun because it will be chock full of potatoes to the dome and women being launched into the sky at awkward angles and landing on their heads.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Casey said:

'm ready to be wrong, but I think since it says "addresses Forbidden Door and Blood & Guts" and not "addresses his future" or anything, that he's likely going to accept the Sabre challenge and then start the slow dissolution of the Blackpool Combat Club by dropping out of Blood & Guts (because why help Eddie Kingston after he treated you like collateral damage at Double Or Nothing and tried to set you on fire along with Jericho?) BCC was never going to be a long term thing, it always seemed like a way to get Mox and Danielson on a collision course for a turn and then an eventual feud.

Just feels like a Tony Khan semantics thing to me, maybe some wishful thinking as well on the idea that he could be back sometime shortly after Blood and Guts. I'm going to be pessimistic and then be happily surprised if it's anything else.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Shafir and Storm will either be really good or really bad.   Either way, it will still be fun because it will be chock full of potatoes to the dome and women being launched into the sky at awkward angles and landing on their heads.

If that all happens, be interesting to see the internet response given how everyone was shitting on Thunder Rosa last week.

• Like 2

On the way to daycare dropoff today, my son and I were discussing tonight's Dynamite.  Penta and Fenix are his favorite wrestlers.  We were talking about the Penta/Black match tonight.  He said he wants Black to win.  I'm like, "What? I thought Penta was your favorite?" He says he wants him to lose because he doesn't want him to get beat up by Miro.  "Miro is the toughest wrestler" according to him.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

Rarely a week that goes by that I’m not excited for the line-up. No different this week. Stoked to see how Shafir v Storm plays out. The haters must be stuck on Shafir’s poor tv debut because to my eyes Mariana’s been on a neat run since. A stiff bout with Toni may turn a few heads. Further shade to the haters as Penta v Malakai tears the house down.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 6

I think Danielson is going to announce that he’s in for both or neither of the matches. Wouldn’t really make sense for him to say he’s doing FD but not B&G. You don’t want to put heel heat on him for backing out of B&G right before he’s supposed to be a baby face against ZSJ or Jay. And even if you’re wanting to put heat on Dragon for backing out of B&G, you would get WAY more of it by having him refuse to enter the cage the night of, rather than announcing it a week before.

• Like 1

Looks like Forbidden Door is getting more matches (because what's an AEW PPV without the card being absolutely loaded with way too many matches but still being fun as fuck?)

Oh and I guess Jay White's opponent for the IWGP title gets revealed tonight.

coughitsprobablyatagteammatchinsteadcough

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

I totally approve of Pieter coming to America if it means that her boo, Bad Luck Fale, smashes someone at the PPV.  The black rabbit costume would just be bonus.  So many adolescent boys will discover their manhood at the PPV when she struts out.

After just googling her, I'm sure I just discovered mine. I'm 35.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

So...I live closer to Milwaukee than Chicago. When Forbidden Door sold out, I thought about getting a ticket to this show instead, thinking I could still see a bunch of guys from NJPW. Decided against it for whatever reason.

If Milwaukee, WI - of all places - gets the "coin drop" we're always going on about, y'all might have to check up on me or something. I am almost nervous to watch this one. Even though it's never terribly rational, "fear of missing out" is a real thing for me right now.

Anyway...glad Malakai has a singles match, hope this leads to bigger and better things for him.

I'll be back after the show to register my disappointment or relief, depending upon which wrestlers from NJPW show up.

• Like 2