DVDVR Message Board

THOR: Love & Thunder (2022)

I watched it over the weekend. I thought it was all right. A bit chaotic at times, but I expect that from a Taika Waititi movie.  I loved Russel Crowe as Zeus, but for the life of me I couldn't understand why he chose to do an Italian accent...at least it sounded like one to me.

Christian Bale was great as Gorr. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

I watched it over the weekend. I thought it was all right. A bit chaotic at times, but I expect that from a Taika Waititi movie.  I loved Russel Crowe as Zeus, but for the life of me I couldn't understand why he chose to do an Italian accent...at least it sounded like one to me.

You need to come up here to Astoria more, man.  Crowe was doing a NYC Greek Landlord accent.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finally was able to catch this Sunday on D+ with my family. 

Its definitely a step down from Ragnarok and feels more along the lines of the first movie where its a bit of a mess even with a generally solid story in there. The first third in particular felt off and a bit rushed though sometime in the second things start to really shape up and turn into a nice film by the end. Taika would have been better off leaving the Guardians out or asking for a bit of help because they definitely felt off. Funnily enough the original scene running around with them asking for Thor's help felt like a better combination of Thor and GOTG's style. It was good seeing Portman back as Foster. You could tell she was enjoying herself far more this time around be that because she didn't have to play as the straight woman to the wackiness of everyone else or actually getting in on the action. Crowe was a tremendous asshole as Zeus, and I so hope we see his return in another film. This version of Gorr is not on the level of what we got in the comics, but it's decent and Bale doesn't a good job with the role. Still a part of me can't help but think what Bale could have done with a proper mini series and a less redemptive, darker version of Gorr.

Right now I have it and the first movie around the same level. Ragnarok is still the best in terms of storytelling and pacing.

• Like 2

• Dolfan in NYC changed the title to THOR: Love & Thunder (2022)