DVDVR Message Board

THOR: Love & Thunder (2022)

22 hours ago, AxB said:

Did you notice that Axl, the leader of the Asgardian kids, was trans?

Thor meets him and says "I know you, you're Heimdall's daughter Astrid", and he says "My name is Axl now".

And when Jane meets Heimdall at the gates of Valhalla, he says to her "Thank you for looking after my Son", because Heimdall accepts his children for who they are.

Nowhere in that scene does Thor say Astrid/Axl is Heimdall's daughter. Valkyrie even says it's Heimdall's son. The only thing Thor says before teaching him how to see with Heimdall's eyes is that Axl's father gave him a "strong Viking name" and he intends to honor that - and then Axl reaffirms he wants to go by Axl.

Astrid can and usually is a female name, but it's never outright mentioned that Axl is trans. Just that he wants to use another name - presumably, with what the film gave us, because he's a big Axl Rose fan since coming to Earth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I really disliked this movie outside of Christian Bale. The only time it felt like the movie wasn't holding up a giant LAUGH sign was the ending. It felt like watching a bad parody movie or an overly long SNL skit. Thor just annoyed the hell out of me most of the time. I liked Ragnarok.

• Like 1

How has nobody brought up the mid-credit scene yet?

Her-cules!

Her-culeeeeeeees!

He's here! He's there! He's every fucking where!

Her-cules!

Herculeeeeeeeees!

I'm only a little disappointed that when Zeus said "Isn't that right Hercules?" (or whatever the line was) that we didn't get a reply of "FUCK YES!"

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

MCU Movies Rotten Tomatoes scores:

Spoiler

Iron Man (2008). 94% CF.

The Incredible Hulk (2008). 67%.

Iron Man 2 (2010). 72% CF.

Thor (2011). 77% CF.

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011). 79% CF.

Avengers Assemble (2012). 91% CF.

Iron Man 3 (2013). 79% CF.

Thor: The Dark World (2013). 66%.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier. 90% CF.

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014). 92% CF.

Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015). 76% CF.

Ant-Man (2015). 83% CF.

Captain America: Civil War (2016). 90% CF.

Doctor Strange (2016). 89% CF.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017). 85% CF.

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017). 92% CF.

Thor: Ragnarok (2017). 93% CF.

Black Panther (2018). 96% CF.

Avengers: Infinity War (2018). 85% CF.

Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018). 87% CF.

Captain Marvel (2019). 79% CF.

Avengers: Endgame (2019). 94% CF.

Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019). 90% CF.

Black Widow (2021). 79% CF.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021). 91% CF.

Eternals (2021). 47%.

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021). 93% CF.

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022). 74%.

Thor: Love and Thunder (2022). 68%.

---

Too high IMO:

Black Panther. I'd have 90-92%.

Ant-Man and the Wasp. Found this a chore to get through. In my bottom five MCU movies.

Black Widow. Not worth the wait at all. Should have happened years earlier. This, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Iron Man 2 and 3 are my biggest Marvel Studios disappointments.

Captain Marvel. Cosmic MCU with the exception of Thanos isn't my thing.

Guardians of the Galaxy. Cosmic MCU with the exception of Thanos isn't my thing.

Iron Man 3. Great first half before the Mandarin bait and switch. Still hate it.

Too low IMO:

Avengers: Infinity War. The best Avengers movie should be in the 90% and above bracket.

Captain America: The First Avenger belongs in the 90s with its two successors.

Eternals isn't the worst MCU movie, I have it above both Iron Man sequels, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Thor: The Dark World and The Incredible Hulk.

I recognize that places and people, like Rotten Tomatoes and Ebert & Roeper back in the day, are a thing that matters to some people, but then you go and and look at Eternals page on Rotten Tomatoes and it's kind of crazy. It'll get dragged online and shit because "oh no it's certified rotten" and then it has an almost 80% score for the audience reactions with 10k+ verified users, and not even 1k critics, but the headline won't be "audiences actually like it!".

Then on the flip side of that, you've got Black Panther, the highest critically rated MCU movie. But it's audience score is almost on par with The Dark World. No Way Home is damn near 100% and it's only the 5th highest for RT critic's score.

It's just weird to me that people focus so much on that stuff. But, let me immediately turn around and be a hypocrite and focus on some of that stuff nobody should REALLY care about: this is going to be the best opening any Thor movie has done, probably be the 3rd highest box office of 2022, and has an 81% audience score right now (300ish critics versus 5k+ verified audience).

• Like 2

Even as a former film critic, I always said you shouldn't listen to the critics as a whole. You should find the ones you agree with the most and use them as a barometer. I mean, I may have respected Siskel and Ebert or Janet .aslin, but I certainly didn't  are two hoots what Rex Reed or Michael Medved thought. 

All I know is that from what I've heard, I'm happy to wait for D+, as my tolerance will be better if it's free than if I'm paying $12-15.

7 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Agreed on the "he didn't say Heimdall's daughter" point, but ultimately it was still symbolic of a trans issue. Nobody's disputing that here, right?

Yes, I dispute it. It's all just speculation, and there's really no actual evidence to back that up. 

FXUkbgQX0AAwPzK?format=jpg&name=small

Marvel Phase IV so far. I rank them:

6. Black Widow.

5. Eternals.

4. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.

3. Thor: Love and Thunder.

2. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.

1. Spider-Man: No Way Home.

To give them the benefit of the doubt, this could be taken as "I'm mocking my own directing choices/attention span, which is why the VFX looks bad"

Or maybe Tessa just tried to bring it around to that to fend off critique

• Like 1

I wish I could summon Hitchcock to the present day so he could scarf chicken wings on Hot Ones to promote his new film Danger Mouse. People online were dismayed when they found out Hitch wasn’t involved in the reshoots done to set up the Count Duckula movie, but if you actually watch the movie Hitchcock got to Hitchcock. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I wish I could summon Hitchcock to the present day so he could scarf chicken wings on Hot Ones to promote his new film Danger Mouse. People online were dismayed when they found out Hitch wasn’t involved in the reshoots done to set up the Count Duckula movie, but if you actually watch the movie Hitchcock got to Hitchcock. 

Not going to lie. That sounds amazing.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 12:15 AM, BrianS81177 said:

How has nobody brought up the mid-credit scene yet?

Her-cules!

Her-culeeeeeeees!

He's here! He's there! He's every fucking where!

Her-cules!

Herculeeeeeeeees!

I'm only a little disappointed that when Zeus said "Isn't that right Hercules?" (or whatever the line was) that we didn't get a reply of "FUCK YES!"

This man hates my earlier post.  Hercules was perfect.  They even had the balls to put MCU Hercules in the shitty headgear from the comics.