DVDVR Message Board

THOR: Love & Thunder (2022)

Someone was beginning to flood the main thread with stuff, so we'll go ahead and start this.   

Big reveal or plot point spoilers....  Please use spoiler tags until the release date or I use Mjolnir on you. 

8 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Someone was beginning to flood the main thread with stuff, so we'll go ahead and start this.   

Big reveal or plot point spoilers....  Please use spoiler tags until the release date or I use Mjolnir on you. 

No harm in posting updates. it's the biggest upcoming Marvel Movies talking point. Speaking of updates:

Edited by The Natural

• RIPPA changed the title to THOR: Love & Thunder - SPOILER THREAD (070822)

First interview Christian Bale's given about playing Gorr the God Butcher. Thing I'm most looking forward to about Thor: Love and Thunder then seeing The Mighty Thor in live action from Jason Aaron's Thor run. Great run, particularly Thor: Goddess of Thunder.

• RIPPA changed the title to THOR: Love & Thunder - SPOILER THREAD (07/08/22)
On 6/23/2022 at 5:03 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Big Dave walking by in the background at the end cracked me up. 

Can we please have a moratorium on using "Sweet Child 'O Mine" for anything ever again? Including radio play? 

The worst was that wretched Sheryl Crow cover they used in Big Daddy. And I'm probably the biggest GnR fan on this board (my kid's middle name is Axl) and I could do without ever hearing it on the radio again.

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 7:48 AM, (BP) said:

They said it couldn’t be done, but Christian Bale has transformed himself into an Easter Island head statue for the Night at the Museum reboot. Truly one of the greats.

On the real, Christian Bale is a fucking maniac.  I have to salute his willingness to go all Lon Chaney Sr. when it comes to physically transforming his body to meet the specifications of a role.  He weighed like five ounces when he was the lead in The Machinist and then packed on pounds of solid muscle in a matter of weeks for Batman Begins.   

The things he has probably done to himself to prepare himself to play Gorr are probably the stuff of nightmares and self-torture.

I await the collective HOW COULD YOU~?? when Bale makes himself a solid addition to the MCU after Gorr The God Butcher steals every scene in this movie from Thor and Korg and that will be no small feat.  I think the silent MVP of this movie might end up being Russell Crowe as Zeus.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Wait he went from The Machinist DIRECTLY to BATMAN?! How is that even possible? Are there two Christian Bales and we just don't know it? 

The Prestige was a documentary, and the events happened in real time.

I don't like people so I haven't been to a movie on the weekend in, like, a decade, but this comes out on my wife's birthday so we're going opening night.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Wait he went from The Machinist DIRECTLY to BATMAN?! How is that even possible? Are there two Christian Bales and we just don't know it? 

He actually showed up on set too bulky for Nolan’s liking and had to drop 20 of the 100 lbs he’d put on. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, J.T. said:

On the real, Christian Bale is a fucking maniac.  I have to salute his willingness to go all Lon Chaney Sr. when it comes to physically transforming his body to meet the specifications of a role.  He weighed like five ounces when he was the lead in The Machinist and then packed on pounds of solid muscle in a matter of weeks for Batman Begins.   

The things he has probably done to himself to prepare himself to play Gorr are probably the stuff of nightmares and self-torture.

I await the collective HOW COULD YOU~?? when Bale makes himself a solid addition to the MCU after Gorr The God Butcher steals every scene in this movie from Thor and Korg and that will be no small feat.  I think the silent MVP of this movie might end up being Russell Crowe as Zeus.

meuiptev88h41.jpg

Insane body transformations.

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

10 hours ago, (BP) said:

He actually showed up on set too bulky for Nolan’s liking and had to drop 20 of the 100 lbs he’d put on. 

Yep. Straight from The Machinist to Batman Begins. People called Christian Bale Fatman on set as he was too big so had to drop some pounds.

• Like 1

Variety is reporting that Lena Headey was cut from the movie. And apparently the following two people were cut from the movie too.

Spoiler

Peter Dinklage and Jeff Goldblum

Lena was rumored to be cast as a former Valkyrie.

• Sad 1

Saw it last night. Enjoyed it for the most part.  

It's entertaining. Visually, I really like how Taika Waititi stages and frames everything with the rock/heavy metal style, and shots that look like they've been ripped out of comic panels when you have characters soaring through the sky. 

At times, I found it a bit too flippant. It plays really fast and loose with its own rules. A lot of glorified plot devices.

Natalie Portman did well as Mighty Thor. The way they revisited Jane and Thor was well done. 

I think Christian Bale's Gorr feels a bit undercooked. Actually a serious, no-nonsense and tragic character, but it feels like the character isn't fully formed and Bale didn't fully work out what he was trying to do with the character.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Saw it last night. Enjoyed it for the most part.  

It's entertaining. Visually, I really like how Taika Waititi stages and frames everything with the rock/heavy metal style, and shots that look like they've been ripped out of comic panels when you have characters soaring through the sky. 

At times, I found it a bit too flippant. It plays really fast and loose with its own rules. A lot of glorified plot devices.

Natalie Portman did well as Mighty Thor. The way they revisited Jane and Thor was well done. 

I think Christian Bale's Gorr feels a bit undercooked. Actually a serious, no-nonsense and tragic character, but it feels like the character isn't fully formed and Bale didn't fully work out what he was trying to do with the character.

Cheers, Jeffrey. When the 2022 Marvel Studios schedule came out, this was always the one I wanted to see the most as a fan of Christian Bale, Taika Waititi and Jason Aaron's Thor run.

14 hours ago, Casey said:

Variety is reporting that Lena Headey was cut from the movie. And apparently the following two people were cut from the movie too.

Hide contents

Peter Dinklage and Jeff Goldblum

Lena was rumored to be cast as a former Valkyrie.

I'm now so disappointed. All three would have been nice to see.

14 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

This was what I was worried about when they announced Gorr as the villain. He really isn't a one and done kind of villain with his backstory and purpose.

• Like 1