DVDVR Message Board

THOR: Love & Thunder (2022)

Literally just watched this movie.

Where was Heimdall's offspring called his daughter?

ETA: Okay, just making sure; it never happened.

Edited by nate
  • Thanks 1

just got back from this movie. loved every bit of it. i'd say a step down from Ragnarok, but that movie was crazy awesome so i'm not surprised.

i'm a big GNR fan so i dug the music being so featured.

was hoping for more from the GOTG, but i can't be too upset since they have both a holuday special and vol. 3 upcoming.

Gorr was an amazing villain. Bale did a fantastic job.

the screaming goats were hilarious. 

re: Axl / Astrid, i didn't pick up on it being a trans naming issue. if that's the case then great, but as someone who has legally changed my name, it was reminiscent of numerous conversations i've had. i would imagine it was left ambiguous on purpose. YMMV.

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Yeah, it is surprising that people are just now catching on the Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson joke.

You know, this calling The Rock gay is a joke that's not going to age well.  

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

You know, this calling The Rock gay is a joke that's not going to age well.  

I took it more as a simple, he's made of rock -> The Rock -> Dwayne joke.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 7/17/2022 at 12:08 AM, twiztor said:

just got back from this movie. loved every bit of it. i'd say a step down from Ragnarok, but that movie was crazy awesome so i'm not surprised.

i'm a big GNR fan so i dug the music being so featured.

was hoping for more from the GOTG, but i can't be too upset since they have both a holuday special and vol. 3 upcoming.

Gorr was an amazing villain. Bale did a fantastic job.

the screaming goats were hilarious. 

re: Axl / Astrid, i didn't pick up on it being a trans naming issue. if that's the case then great, but as someone who has legally changed my name, it was reminiscent of numerous conversations i've had. i would imagine it was left ambiguous on purpose. YMMV.

I saw on Saturday and I agree with you. I'm perfectly fine if they just let Taika have his own little Thor part of the MCU, and they can always call Thor back into the greater storyline down the road if they need to, ala Captain Marvel. 

I had fun. I laughed a lot. I cried a little. I enjoyed a very talented actor playing a complicated villain, similar to MBJ and Killmonger. I was a little annoyed that they once again sacrificed the woman, but the Valhalla bit at the end was some redemption. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watched it last night. I really wasn't spoiled on anything except for the first post-credits scene. I honestly thought the first third/first act was terrible. Just more Ragnarok in a way we really didn't need with diminishing returns. Once they left the home of the gods, it really opened up and started to work for me though.

• Like 2

The first 2/3 of this was BAD. Like, bottom of the MCU bad. None of the jokes worked, and it had none of the charm of Ragnarok. Once it got to the meat of the story and the tone shifted, I thought it was pretty good, but man, I am in zero rush to ever watch this again.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

We watched this yesterday and dug most of it... wound up watching the firs two Thor flicks as well. Am I the only one who picked up on how MCU Thor has basically become comic Hercules? He's the boisterous bruiser, impetuous and a bit of a lummox, working "smart not hard" etc. So it'll be interesting to see how MCU Herc plays off of him.

Problematic as it was, we were dying for Crowe as Zeus. I get the impression he got the accent by studying old Harry Einstein/Parkyakarkus clips.

• Like 1

Once I watch it, I figure I’ll just FF thru all the nonsense and watch the serious parts. 

i seem to be just FF a lot of this type of content lately. 

Edit: wow. Worse than I expected. 

Edited by odessasteps

On 7/11/2022 at 1:06 AM, Casey said:

Then on the flip side of that, you've got Black Panther, the highest critically rated MCU movie. But it's audience score is almost on par with The Dark World. No Way Home is damn near 100% and it's only the 5th highest for RT critic's score.

This is why you can't trust RT in general.  The incels review bomb anything that's not white and male, or can be construed as "woke" (which is redundant, as seemingly their definition of "woke" = anything where the hero isn't a white male and/or anything with any kind of inclusivity).

On 7/12/2022 at 12:34 PM, TheVileOne said:

* Some people think the dialogue exchange is insensitive and transphobic, believing that Taika Waititi isn't sensitive to the issue of children dealing with gender identity issues. Thor's comments are an example of dead-naming.

* Some people think the issue is pro-trans because despite the childish argument, Thor does eventually accept Axl as the kid's new name.

* Some people think the issue is completely unrelated as Axl was never identified as trans anywhere. Others identified this as a child wanting to change their name after moving to a new country and going by a different name than the one of their cultural background. 

It's not transphobic if the joke is on the transphobes.  Fuck, I just went off on people being anti-woke, but people who take pro-woke so far that they don't understand comedy are pretty bad, too.  If you make a something-phobic joke at the expense of the something-phobes, then you're not being whatever-phobic.  I don't even agree with the idea that there is trans subtext here but even if there is, the idea is that Thor is a buffoon.  A well meaning buffoon, but a buffoon just the same.  If this is a trans joke, they're attacking the people who don't get it, not the trans people.  You always punch UP.  Claiming this is anti-trans would be like saying Johhny's act in Cobra Kai is sexist. 

AND if there is trans subtext here, then Thor being a clueless dolt is fine because he accepts Astrid in the end (see "well-meaning buffoon"). 

BUT I took the whole deal as it's stated in point three.  This is a case of a kid choosing his own badass name to rebel.  Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

On 7/13/2022 at 1:36 AM, keith_h said:

I agree with everyone who says the Guardians scenes felt off (Pratt especially). Not sure what was going on there… maybe they had to shoot everything in like a day and it was what it was but it just felt off. Just a different feel than Guardians 1-2 and Avengers Infinity War. Maybe Pratt is just done with the role…

I remember in Infinity War, the Russos brought Gunn in to at least advise on, maybe even direct, the key Guardians scene in order to make sure they got the tone right.  Probably should have done that here.

On 9/1/2022 at 11:56 AM, (BP) said:

It was very jarring in that deleted scene how Korg was all previz except for that last shot of Taika wearing the head. 

Previz stuff is so fun.  Shit, I enjoyed the pirated workprint of X-Men Origins: Wolverine much more than the released film.  When Liev Schreiber touches a window and then, written on the print for all to see, is "CLAWS GO HERE," that's gold.  Shit, every VFX-heavy movie should have its previz version as a special feature for movie dorks like me.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

Watching the movie, I simply took the gag as Thor being a well-meaning buffoon as well, and didn't see any type of subtext there. The argument started here becomes someone incorrectly recalled Thor referring to Axl as "Heimdall's daughter," a line which was never uttered in the film. When he's introduced, Valkyrie says, "It's Astrid, Heimdall's son." 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 10:39 AM, Pete said:

We watched this yesterday and dug most of it... wound up watching the firs two Thor flicks as well. Am I the only one who picked up on how MCU Thor has basically become comic Hercules? He's the boisterous bruiser, impetuous and a bit of a lummox, working "smart not hard" etc. So it'll be interesting to see how MCU Herc plays off of him.

Problematic as it was, we were dying for Crowe as Zeus. I get the impression he got the accent by studying old Harry Einstein/Parkyakarkus clips.

My hope is that he's just Roy fucking Kent, but as an MCU character.

• Like 1