DVDVR Message Board

THOR: Love & Thunder (2022)

4 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

That was pretty, pretty good. Solid 7/10 stuff - heartwarming, served its purpose, generally quite funny, I thought the dynamic of the gods being tone deaf to the every day people was a great allegory to the things we're experiencing at the moment as a society.

But we really should probably talk about that weirdly racist Russell Crowe scene that just completely took it off track for a bit and took ages to get back in its groove.

The whole visit to Zeus felt pointless to me. Only there for setup and sequel baiting.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

The whole visit to Zeus felt pointless to me. Only there for setup and sequel baiting.

A little, but I also took that as a reason to correct the path that Thor was on as well. To have a similar experience to Gorr when encountering other gods, but in contrast to Gorr's quest for vengeance it kinda set Thor on the path of doing the right thing himself.

• Like 5

As usual, I don't agree with critics on this movie. I thought it was really fucking fun.

Christian Bale did a great job as Gorr, I thought. Some of those scenes were straight up terrifying (for an MCU movie, anyway). And he looked proper sinister at times. Loved the entire sequence in the Shadow Realm.

Did the Guardians need to be in the movie? No. But it was like, 5 minutes of screen time, and then they peace'd out. It was just connective tissue between Endgame and this. If they didn't show Thor with the Guardians, reviewers would probably blast the lack of continuity or some shit. It was fine, but I did think Chris Pratt's Starlord was kind of... I dunno, different, in the little screen time he had. Like it was Pratt trying to fit into a Taiki Waiti movie, instead of playing Starlord like he has been for years.

Jane's arc was really sad, but I'm also not too heartbroken Jane Foster is gone. I like Natalie Portman, but I don't like her in the Thor movies, which is an odd place to be for me. I can't quite describe why - I thought I'd feel the same way about Christian Bale, but I didn't. No idea what they do with Gorr's daughter going forward, if anything, but Hemsworth and his daughter getting to play superhero on the big screen for a movie that's going to do gangbusters is super cool and I dig it. I mean I doubt they make Love into a weapon like Agar in the comics, so who knows.

Lastly: Brett Goldstein as Hercules LETS FUCKIN GOOOOOOO

• Like 7

Thor: Ragnarok is 93% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. Thor: The Dark World is 66% fresh. Biggest ratings jump between Marvel Studios films.

Thor: Ragnarok is 93% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. Thor: Love and Thunder is 68% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes making it the biggest drop between films.

• Sad 1

I loved it, I thought it was so much fun. Like Ragnarok, it was a comic book movie in the truest sense.

I was a little nervous beforehand that the Lady Thor stuff was going to be cheesy but it was really well done. This is easily the best Portman has been in this series.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Natural said:

I'm hoping to see Thor: Love and Thunder today with my Dad.

Back home.

I right enjoyed Thor: Love and Thunder, my most anticipated Marvel Studios film of the year. The main reason for Christian Bale as Gorr the God Butcher and Jane Foster as the Mighty Thor from Jason Aaron/Esad Ribic/Russell Dauterman's Thor comic book run. Both were done justice, Bale was great as Gorr but I wish we had more of him and I was moved by Natalie Portman's Mighty Thor, though I know her as Thor: Goddess of Thunder from the aforementioned source material. I liked this more than Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. The film needed 15 more minutes like Thor: Ragnarok had. Going in the running time was a concern. Guns N' Roses will be getting a fat cheque.

Spoiler

My favourite sequence was in the Shadow Realm as Thor/Mighty Thor/Valkyrie went to fight Gorr the God Butcher in black and white with the odd flash of colour.

Welcome return of the Asgardian play recalling Thor: Ragnarok as Thor: Ragnarok did the recreation of events from Thor: The Dark World.

Always like seeing Sif but she's criminally underused in the Thor films.

No Beta Ray Bill, boo. Still like to see the character even though it's the law of diminishing returns with people able to wield Mjolnir.

Darcy and Erik Selvig. Nice cameos.

Ditto Daryl from the Team Thor series.

Missed Loki, first Thor film without him.

Russell Crowe as Zeus, oof.

Hey, Hemidall has a son we didn't know about just shows up.

Waititi did the Warriors Three dirty again.

Liked the post-credits scene with Jane Foster joining Valhalla with Heimdall more than the mid-credits scene introducing Hercules.

From there we went to Pizza Pieces, our favourite place to eat in the world. Love going there.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

My updated MCU rankings would look something like:

29. The Incredible Hulk (2008).

28. Thor: The Dark World (2013).

27. Iron Man 2 (2010).

26. Iron Man 3 (2013).

25. Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018).

24. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017).

23. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015).

22. Captain Marvel (2019).

21. Black Widow (2021).

20. Ant-Man (2015).

19. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014).

18. Eternals (2021).

17. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022).

16. Doctor Strange (2016).

15. Thor: Love and Thunder (2022).

14. Thor (2011).

13. Black Panther (2018).

12. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021).

11. Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019).

10. Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017).

9. Thor: Ragnarok (2017).

8. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011).

7. Avengers: Endgame (2019).

6. Iron Man (2008).

5. Avengers Assemble (2012).

4. Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021).

3. Avengers: Infinity War (2018).

2. Captain America: Civil War (2016).

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014).

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Needed WAY more Gorr and the first act was kind of a mess, but once they got to Omnipotent City things were good - especially the black and white sequences. 

Also DWAYNE, THE ROCK. 

• Like 6

Yeah, that was probably the best bit.

My post about William Sadler as Death in the movie became pretty close to evergreen with the Shadow Realm section, since that kinda looks straight-up Bergman, but let's face it, Taika did that because, "Well, uh...they're in the Shadow Realm, mate.  So, yeah, it's dark there."

Just about the best version of Mighty Thor I could have expected them to do, and I'm good with it.  A better sendoff for Portman than what they'd done (or hadn't done) previously.  The whole Valhalla bit at the end really makes me think they're going to pull some get-out-of-jail-free bullshit with it, though.  Also pretty disappointed that Eternity is just going to be...whatever that was.

My least favorite part was the Necrosword just being pulled out of Kevin Feige's ass as a plot device, instead of having any of its own backstory besides some assholes saying, "I've heard of it."  Really fucking lame.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 2

One of my annoyances with the film was the musical sequences had way too much Guns'n'Roses, the opening bit with Welcome To The Jungle was awesome, but the rest seemed a bit forced in. The most fitting bit of soundtrack in the entire film was Dio during the credits haha. 

Edited by DeadEffect
edit
  • Like 3

On 6/30/2022 at 3:37 PM, odessasteps said:

Too flippant can prob describe most Marvel movies,esp in the Watiti/Gunn subsection.

Love and Thunder was ok, but mostly reconfirmed that the wife and I are uncool and just don’t get Taika Waititi‘s films.  I think we want to like him because he’s an interesting personality and is clearly talented and trying to do something a little different,  but, yeah, his stuff just doesn’t land with us.  There was a decent bit I enjoyed about Ragnarok, but the jokiness and light tone really undercut the movie for me.  Not even sure I like Ragnarok more than Dark World.  I’d put  Love and Thunder slightly ahead of Dark World, but that’s probably just because I like the idea that the Jane Foster Thor Arc got a movie treatment.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Oh and I got a little misty eyed when he enchanted those kids. That was just pure fucking joy. 

If there is not already a Thor Kids show in the works at Disney then they are just leaving money on the table.

• Like 1

My daughter and I enjoyed this for what it was.  I usually rail against the runtimes of most Marvel movies, but I think this could've benefitted from maybe 30 more minutes.  It did not feel as epic as Ragnarok did, and the instantaneous transitions to set pieces was kinda bad.  Jane just showing up just in time to help Thor was so much deus ex machina.  Gorr winning and getting to make his wish was a nice touch as I kinda wanted Gorr to have an opportunity to redeem himself..

Gorr the God Butcher is definitely Marvel's best villain since Thanos or Killmonger.  It was interesting to note how the Necrosword was the actual villain of the movie.  A caring father like Gorr probably wouldn't have taken children hostage and used them as bait, but the sword perverted Gorr's mission to avenge his daughter so he saw the Asgardian kids as gods in training (which they were) and he felt no remorse for putting them in peril.  The Asgardian kids were just as much the targets of his revenge as the other gods were.

I am so happy that Russel Crowe played Zeus as a completely selfish douchebag.  Nearly 90% of Greek mythology consists of stories that start off with Zeus not being able to keep his dick inside of his toga and being a total Karma Houdini and escaping the wrath of the other gods just because he is their chief.

The merger of Tanngrisnir and Tanngnjóstr with the Screaming Goat meme was fucking hilarious.  It would have been even better if Thor, Jane, and Valkryie had killed and eaten the goats at some point in the movie just to shut them up and then used Stormbreaker and Mjolnir to bring them back to life again so that the goats could once again guide the Bifrost ship.  If you are going to use the myth, use all of it.

The lack of an overarching BBEG to knit the current phase together is starting to have a detrimental effect on current Marvel movies and television shows.  Kang needs to make a playa move real soon.

There was not a dry eye in the house when Jane and Gorr both died.  This was the one thing this movie really got right.   Jane getting to go to Valhalla and meet Heimdall was also fucking aces.

The future adventures of Uncle Thor and his alien super kid should be great.  They need their own limited series along with the Asgardian Childrens Army.

I take it that Sif is going to get a magical silver arm to replace her lost limb since The Binding of Ferir by Tyr was never explored when it was Hela's henchbeast.  Phastos the Eternal should be able to patch her right up.

The guy playing Hercules is perfect and looks just like Hercules from the comics right down to the silly headgear.  The Thor vs. Herc movie needs to happen sooner not later.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5

The love triangle between Thor, Stormbreaker and Mjolnir was my favourite strand in this movie. Making an inanimate axe the comic relief is a choice, but Hemsworth played against it beautifully! Can't believe Principal Hyde's giant son from Home and Away has had these comedic chops all along, just needed a kiwi pixie to bring it out in him....

• Like 4

Did you notice that Axl, the leader of the Asgardian kids, was trans?

Thor meets him and says "I know you, you're Heimdall's daughter Astrid", and he says "My name is Axl now".

And when Jane meets Heimdall at the gates of Valhalla, he says to her "Thank you for looking after my Son", because Heimdall accepts his children for who they are.

• Like 10

51 minutes ago, AxB said:

Thor meets him and says "I know you, you're Heimdall's daughter Astrid", and he says "My name is Axl now".

And when Jane meets Heimdall at the gates of Valhalla, he says to her "Thank you for looking after my Son", because Heimdall accepts his children for who they are.

True sight is his power after all.

• Like 6

Yeah, there are quite a few LGBTQ+ jokes batted around in the movie.

• Thor not being terribly accepting of Axl / Astrid's gender.
  • Korg (and Kronans in general) being gay males.
  • Valkyrie being bi-sexual and preferring women, but obviously admires Thor's ass.

I can't tell if Taika is trying to laugh with the community or at it.  It would be hard to believe that the script would survive the scrutiny of the Disney culture wars gestapo if they believed that Love and Thunder was a movie that bashed the LGBTQ+ community.

Edited by J.T.

8 hours ago, AxB said:

I might be wrong, but I could've sworn Thor called him Heimdall's "son" and never said daughter. The argument was over Astrid wanting to be called "Axl" instead of his given "viking name" that Thor liked. As far as I know, a lot of this is coming out of Twitter speculation and conjecture. Axl was never confirmed or stated to be a trans character.

I highly doubt Taika Waititi is making jokes at the community's expense. Also, I think a lot of times people make the mistake of attaching belief systems to lines of dialogue, jokes, and movie and TV characters, which IMO is wrong. Just because you write about a religious character who is generally a good person and is righteous doesn't mean you have to agree with their religious beliefs or aren't atheist. I mainly saw the argument as Thor wanting Axl to keep his original "viking" name that Heimdall gave him.  

I was more confused about Heimdall suddenly having a wife and child we never saw or met before. Granted there were plenty of gaps between films he could've had something going on. Just felt like an out of left field development.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, DeadEffect said:

One of my annoyances with the film was the musical sequences had way too much Guns'n'Roses, the opening bit with Welcome To The Jungle was awesome, but the rest seemed a bit forced in. The most fitting bit of soundtrack in the entire film was Dio during the credits haha. 

I liked Paradise City and November Rain, my two favourite Guns N' Roses songs getting used but four was way too much. Sweet Child o' Mine is overrated.

Speaking of music, I liked Michael Giacchino's score but missed the synth score of Mark Mothersbaugh from Thor: Ragnarok.

Again on music, I find the music scores are hit and miss in the MCU. The standouts are:

• Ramin Djawadi (Iron Man),
  • Patrick Doyle (Thor),
  • Alan Silvestri (Avengers Assemble/Avengers: Infinity War/Avengers: Endgame),
  • Henry Jackman (Captain America: The Winter Soldier/Captain America: Civil War),
  • Michael Giacchino (Doctor Strange/Spider-Man: No Way Home), 
  • Mark Mothersbaugh (Thor: Ragnarok),
  • Ludwig Göransson (Black Panther),
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Again on music, I find the music scores are hit and miss in the MCU. The standouts are:

• Ramin Djawadi (Iron Man),
  • Patrick Doyle (Thor),
  • Alan Silvestri (Avengers Assemble/Avengers: Infinity War/Avengers: Endgame),
  • Henry Jackman (Captain America: The Winter Soldier/Captain America: Civil War),
  • Michael Giacchino (Doctor Strange/Spider-Man: No Way Home), 
  • Mark Mothersbaugh (Thor: Ragnarok),
  • Ludwig Göransson (Black Panther),

I disagree only about the Giacchino ones. His Rogue One was great, but I've not been as impressed with everything else so far. I don't know if it's because I've not seen the movies he's written for, or what.

• Like 1