DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 6/17/2022

A couple of the things I like about AEW, that in my opinion differentiate it somewhat from wrestling on "the other channel" are having good matches more or less just for the sake of good matches and giving previously lesser-known and/ or poorly-used talented pro wrestlers the opportunity to shine on a national stage.

In particular, I love it when wrestlers who have proven themselves on the YouTube shows get a shot on the cable network shows, and when wrestlers have the kind of personality and character where they just want to fight and prove themselves and don't always necessarily require some kind of convoluted personal issue in order to step in the ring.

Don't get me wrong. I also like when big-name well-known stars fight, and when those fights get personal.

But I also like a show along the lines of what we are getting here. There are plenty of ways for pro wrestling to be fun and entertaining.

Jade (with Stokely) vs Willow Nightingale  is what I'm talking about. Cargill is obviously loaded with star power. Nightingale is the platonic ideal of a wrestler who proved themselves on Dark and now gets a little story and a big match on Rampage. A feature, not a bug. A foregone conclusion, but who cares? How will she fare? Will she emerge from the loss with more fans? Will some of that star power rub off on her? Willow Nightingale is a good wrestler with a ton of personality. Here's her chance to show that to an international TV audience.

Max Caster and The Ass Boys (with Bowens and Rockabilly) vs Bear Country and Leon Ruff(in) is what I am talking about. Bear Country are another perfect example of what I am.talking about. I am excited every time they show up in AEW. The Gunn Club got themselves over and the alliance with The Acclaimed somehow makes perfect sense and is wildly entertaining. Will Ruff(in) become another Toa Liona or JD Drake type of guy whose name I keep hoping to hear again? Maybe! To me, that's a kind of fun that is pretty particular to AEW.

Mox vs Dante and Darby vs Fish are what I'm talking about. Sure, the Darby fight is personal because they Pillmanized Sting... and that is a good, classic, pro wrestling kind of story that adds to the match... but also Darby and Mox  just love to fight and never back down. So you can match them up with pretty much anyone and it makes sense. And they are both great, so you can match them up with anyone and - hell yeah! - I wanna see that. And Dante proving himself is another good arc that lends itself to fun match-ups. And he's also pretty great. 

I dunno, I personally enjoy that, prefer it to endless 50/50 feuds and convoluted storylines. You can tell a story in the ring. It's enough for me. I wanna watch these guys fight, and listen to -let's say- Ex and Taz(z) and Starks and/or Jericho talk about it while chatting online with my friends.

And also.we are gonna hear from Swerve and Limitless. Are they gonna break up? They just got a cool tag team name! On the other hand, I wanna watch them fight. That would be a lot of fun.

Rampage, baby!

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gordlow said:

A couple of the things I like about AEW, that in my opinion differentiate it somewhat from wrestling on "the other channel" are having good matches more or less just for the sake of good matches and giving previously lesser-known and/ or poorly-used talented pro wrestlers the opportunity to shine on a national stage.

In particular, I love it when wrestlers who have proven themselves on the YouTube shows get a shot on the cable network shows, and when wrestlers have the kind of personality and character where they just want to fight and prove themselves and don't always necessarily require some kind of convoluted personal issue in order to step in the ring.

Don't get me wrong. I also like when big-name well-known stars fight, and when those fights get personal.

But I also like a show along the lines of what we are getting here. There are plenty of ways for pro wrestling to be fun and entertaining.

I somewhat agree with you on this, yes we don't get endless 50/50 and overly convoluted storylines but its not matches for matches sake. I feel pretty much everything with the exception of "so n so in action squashes" (which to be fair are about heating someone up as part of a bigger program) have fairly established stakes. Dante wanting to prove himself, revenge for sting, open challenge.

also if Keira Hogan wears those ASStastic pants again omg-leonardo-di-caprio.gif

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Gordlow said:

Swerve and Limitless. Are they gonna break up? They just got a cool tag team name!

Considering Mikey Ruckus' ability to do a very good Giorgio Moroder knockoff theme, he needs to produce their new theme, "Swerve it to the Limit," posthaste.   Shit, have their top notch vignette re-shoot this with Keith and Swerve:

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Remember Willow versus Red Velvet in the first round of the Owen Cup, where Willow was getting the cheers and Velvet started wrestling heel and next thing we know she's a baddie?

• Like 4

12 hours ago, zendragon said:

also if Keira Hogan wears those ASStastic pants again omg-leonardo-di-caprio.gif

Last time Hogan was on, I’m watching and my wife comes in from the other room to tell me something. She’s talking to me and is kind of watching the tv out of the corner of her eye. It’s right when Hogan’s like doing a roll up or getting rolled up and my wife just trails off and says “…Jesus” and walks away. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

2 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Alec Zayne further lardilizes Konosuke Takeshita!

In true southern fashion, does Zayne have a bottle of vodka to spice it up a little?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, AxB said:

I saw this earlier on twitter but didn't catch the WILMA HUMMINGBIRD until just now.  Hathaway is the gift that keeps on giving.  

• Like 2

Fun little Rampage. Main Event was really good. Weird thought: While I like what O'Reilly has been trying to go for in AEW with his shoot style, I honestly think Fish at this point in time is actually better at using it in a pro wrestling setting. Darby is basically prime Jeff Hardy but with significantly better offense and without the drug problem, so him having good matches is far from shocking. 

• Like 4

What an hour. 

Jon Moxley is the best wrestler in the world.

Darby Allin is the Buster Keaton of professional wrestling.

Willow got a full entrance!

I watched Stat smack Hathaway like five times. 

• Like 4

It's time for Tony to make Willow Nightingale All Elite. She's such a good and appealing wrestler. Nice stuff with her and Jade and then the post match antics. Between Athena and Stat, I'm torn on who I want to see take Jade down.

• Like 8

Did Lord Regal call Jericho a TROUT SLAPPER?  YES HE DID!  A WATER PONCE!  Awesome,  they bring up ZACK SABRE JR!  And his Blackpool Country Club crack!  OH FUCK YES!  Lord Regal is so fucking good on commentary.  The big question is- WILL THIS BE 1/2 AS GOOD AS MARTIN vs DANIELSON?  Mox assumes his Stan Hansen role and starts beating the hell out of Dante Martin and Martin flies into the turnbuckle totally out of control.  Martin is so good when the BCC makes him lay it in.  Jericho doesn't call the Regal Stretch, which Regal reminds him that he created it.  So great.  Martin hits a nice springboard to the floor and big Crossbody!  This match is great.  Not as good as the Danielson match but still great.  Fun nearfalls until Mox fucking KILLS Dante with a LARIAT.  Lord Regal's definition of the Lariat versus the Clothesline is one for the ages.  So fucking good.  That was some good wrestling.  Swerving For the Glory are not RESOLVED!  I wish they or Team Taz had the belt for them to fight over.  STRANGE GANGLY CREEP!  This show is full of British guys insulting folks!  ASS BOYS!  KANSAS CITY!  SCISSOR ME, DADDY!  Leon Ruffin is the scrawny member of Bear Country!  Austin Gunn is so awesome.  That was quick.  Leon Ruffin was the only member of Bear Country to get in the ring.  Ruffin is the Wheeler Yuta of Bear Country Combat Club.  Kiera Hogan is wearing opaque pants- as aging weirdos weep into their stained t-shirts.  Wilma Hummingbird is getting a wad of offense in!  Willow channels her inner NOAH and sends Jade into the guardrail!  She then channels Ryo Mizunami and does her Kobashi chops in the corner spot and hits a Toprope SUWA dropkick!  This is going to be so much better in the INTERNATIONAL FEED when I won't have to slum the picture in picture with you rubes.  Willow Nightengale looks GREAT in this match.  So that was the best Jade Cargill match.  Hanging out with Bryan Danielson is paying dividends. Cargill carried the match by selling the whole match and then crushing Hummingbird with her power offense.  It was a real wrestling match.  And then.... ATHENA FUCKING KILLS KIERA HOGAN!  The BIG HEAD GIRL FROM OUTER SPACE COMES OUT TO MAKE THE SAVE!  That was fun.  Darby Allin is fucking great making Bobby Fish look like a total killer.  WHAT A FUCKING CRAZY BUMP BY ALLIN by doing the Elway helicopter bump.  GREAT piscado into the bunch of punches by Allin.  Fish misses a fucking BEAUTIFUL Moonsault.  GREATEST TOPE IN THE HISTORY OF WRESTLING.  Allin sells the kick off the apron by totally eating hot death to the floor.  Bobby Fish is looking GREAT in this- mostly because Darby Allin is the best Taker Of Offense.   This match is fucking great.  Fish is all about a thousand suplexes in picture in picture.  Allin COMES BACK with a Scorpion Death Drop!  Then a bunch of offense by Allin.  And a Coffin Drop and THEN Allin bumps ENORMOUS to the floor as Fish tackles him through the ropes!  So Fish vs Allin is the secret feud we didn't know we needed.  JESUS!  A German Suplex onto the apron and Allin heads to the floor.  TOPROPE FALCON ARROW into a knee bar! Allin rolls him up for the win!  Fish and KOR are going to.... SABU!  Oh,  STING!  That was a great hour of wrestling.  AEW RULES THE WHOLE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD!   

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

When you start a pro wrestling show with William Regal on commentary, you are starting out right.

Jericho got the first lol outa me with "It's a dump. And everyone who lives there is a stupid idiot." (w/r/t Blackpool)

Of course Regal has Johnny Saint on speed dial.

Cool submission from Mox! I like how you can clearly see Regal's influence coming through.

I am pleased the Swerve in our Glory vs Team Tazz will continue.

"Ya strange gangly creep!" ?

NDA joke! 

Ass Boys getting the city name wrong is still funny to me, damn it! *cries*

Not quite the Bear Country showcase I was hoping for *cries some more*

How good will Willow be after a stint in Tokyo Joshi Pro?

I wonder if TJ Perkins has ever been to a Tokyo Joshi Pro show.

Athena vs Jade should be good. Ditto Stalander vs Jade. Or a 3-way (settle down etc etc)

Willow vs Jade was too much fun. Stokely was great on commentary.

Whoah! Jericho and Big Lance vs Mox and Ace!?!?! Yes, please!

They should call themselves The Fellowship (because Archer and Wizard)

All Time Great Darby Dive (which is really saying something)

Kyle's yambag selling was Kikuchi-esque!

Best Fish match ever?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1