DVDVR Message Board

RIP Tim Sale

Pete

Shit news to wake up to. Batman: The Long Halloween is my #2 Batman book of all time and Spider-Man: Blue is in my top ten Spider-Man books with the great aetwork of Tim Sale. This sucks. Condolences to Tim Sale's family and friends at this sad time. RIP Tim Sale.

Sale was a brilliant artist. He really knew how to capture the essence of characters IMO and make them look extraordinary. 

He didn't draw just one seminal story, he did many.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

I'm going to have to check out Superman for All Seasons. Is Loeb/Sale the only creative team to write great stories for all the big three: Batman, Spider-Man and Superman?

Edited by The Natural

I LOVE Superman For All Seasons and one of my favvorite panels is so... Americana?
The Kents sitting at dinner and Clark feeding Shelby the dog under the table. I don't know why but I just love it

James

2 hours ago, J.H. said:

I LOVE Superman For All Seasons and one of my favvorite panels is so... Americana?
The Kents sitting at dinner and Clark feeding Shelby the dog under the table. I don't know why but I just love it

James

Will read. Cheers.

Agreed. Some of the more celebrated works I think are just okay stories, but Tim Sale turned them into classics. He so strongly imbued each page with so much mood and flavor - just a brilliant artist. Very sad to see him go.

Back in the 90's Gambit was the edgy hot X-Man, and I kinda dug how Tim Sale made him a little more rat like. He still retained some lovable rapscallion qualities, but that troubled part of Gambit's life was present in his appearance and it made him more tragic and sympathetic. I don't think anyone has ever managed to repeat that when drawing Remy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

Sale was exceptional. Any of us could write a comic, having no experience, and I bet Tim Sale would have made it not just work but be great. That's how good he was.

Poor Jeph Loeb.