DVDVR Message Board

Vince McMahon is a horny old man

Zimbra

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
4 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I don't think anything I've said is crazy talk. They let a sexual predator who prayed on female performers remain in his position of controlling the performers yesterday. That's crazy. That's the sort of thing you act immediately on. Right?

I digress. I'm gonna take a break from this thread. My pessimism, which I think is based on the real facts of what's happening, seems to be rubbing people the wrong way. I'll just say I hope I'm wrong and I'll be the first one to pop in and post a celebration / you guys were right thankfully post if he does end up being removed 7 innings down the road.

So the sexual predator who preyed on female performers is also the person in charge of controlling the performers, and holds a significant majority of the voting interest in the company, so serious question:

Who tells him to leave? Who has the power to make him leave?

The only way this ends is if the company gets starved out. Meaning the TV partners cancel, the sponsors cancel, et cetera. The money will have to talk, because the current company structure has enabled his behavior since it was set up by... you guessed it... him.

That absolutely does not happen overnight, no matter how much people think it does. He's surrounded by sycophants and yes men and he's not going to go quietly. But the plus is that more cases are coming to light. That means more people think they might be believed if they tell their stories. That also means more people might be willing to consider having those NDAs they signed looked into and see if they can be broken, because what they went through was wrong and they know they weren't alone.

And without going too deep into my personal experiences because I really don't want to spill my purse onto the table, I'm speaking as someone who has survived sexual assault and nothing happened to protect me/nobody was willing to do anything about it, so I'd L O V E for him to get brought down here, but I'm also not foolish enough to think it's going to happen overnight.

17 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I don't think anything I've said is crazy talk. They let a sexual predator who prayed on female performers remain in his position of controlling the performers yesterday. That's crazy. That's the sort of thing you act immediately on. Right?

How many times have we seen company after company after company after company handle this wrong? WWE isn't the the only organization that's said on one hand "we take these allegations very serious" and then do the EXACT opposite. Thing is it brings down the heat on WWE and not just Vince and John Laurinaitis. That's the entire reason he's going to get ousted. Once WWE starts feeling that heat, it's all over for him. That type of stress test ain't built on, "well, he was still in Gorilla last night after a very rough day publicity wise." Do that same test several weeks from now. Do that stress test six months to eight months from now. See if we get the exact same results. If he survives up under that type of scrutiny we expect to happen to him, then you may be on to something. Otherwise, it's delusional.

And comparing him any former or current sitting president is a bad comparison just because POTUS usually has build up and cultivate alliances and relationships that transcend the normal power that a Vince McMahon or a Dana White or Bob Arum or Eddie Hearn have as major combat sports promoters. Yes, Trump survived stuff, but so did Clinton and both Bushes. So did Reagan. However, there is a reason that it's considered the most powerful position in the entire world. Being a promoter ain't that. Look at all the shit Bob Arum has went through recently with the Daniel Kinahan situation where he's tied up with a guy who is on several most wanted criminal lists. And that's Bob fucking Arum who was promoting major events all across the world when Vince was still trying to buy hockey teams and promoting Evel Knievel events. Tyson Fury and whole Fury clan might get banned from coming to USA over that shit. There is NO relationship a promoter that can save him from that type of hot water.

On 7/8/2022 at 2:57 PM, kafkonia said:

Nobody outside of wrestling journalists would call a wrestling "manager" a manager.

true but I'm wondering what the on the NDA was

On 7/8/2022 at 3:39 PM, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

There was a particular female talent who left in early 2006, was a manager, went off to do her own relatively successful projects that WWE were relatively loathe to claim as their own, and aside from a couple of one off appearances, never returned.

Who?

The thing is I think the only two players with the leverage to force the issue are USA and Fox. USA needs WWE as with them they can claim at times to be among the most watched cable networks and without them... well how many other USA shows can you name nowadays. That leaves Fox and it is not like they themselves had not had problems of this sort before themselves. They need them less (winning the Friday night time slot isn't that important) but they are possibly the network it'd take longest to care about this.

Normally yes this would be a nearly impossible to survive situation, but the specifics in play likely lean in Vince's favor and the world right now is on a real tear in terms of major stuff going down (over the past few days a former GM got shot in the streets, one PM got forced to step down by his own party and another by a hundred thousand people gathering outside his residence and leaving him no option) so the chances of it getting lost in the noise of chaos from all corners is fairly high as well.

If Vince still owns all the stock, how do you actually remove him completely, even if he leaves being the CEO permanently? 

By forcing thru a sale to NBCU? 

Edited by odessasteps

9 minutes ago, Dog said:

Vince McMahon's employment agreement says the board can terminate him if there's cause.

Lol I’ll pretend u said 25th amendment

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dog said:

Vince McMahon's employment agreement says the board can terminate him if there's cause.

As an employee, sure. But he's still majority shareholder (for voting purpose), and it's the shareholders who decide who gets to be on the board.

In other words, if the board does terminate him, as owner can't he just replace the board with people who'll rehire him?

1 hour ago, Dog said:

You would think that's pretty standard fare. I don't see anyone being able to stay on a board in perpetuity if they violate some moral clause.

2 hours ago, username said:

The thing is I think the only two players with the leverage to force the issue are USA and Fox. USA needs WWE as with them they can claim at times to be among the most watched cable networks and without them... well how many other USA shows can you name nowadays. That leaves Fox and it is not like they themselves had not had problems of this sort before themselves. They need them less (winning the Friday night time slot isn't that important) but they are possibly the network it'd take longest to care about this.

Here's the thing: You don't have to necessarily have to threaten anyone with cancelation or termination of their contract. If some higher up applies external pressure on WWE and says, "Vince has to go because he's too toxic", no one from WWE is going to say that cannot be done cause in wrestling people don't do things like that. That's just how things in pro wrestling go. That would be a recipe for a shitstorm cause now it's clear there are more problems in WWE than Vince. Add in the fact that pro wrestling has largely been dependent on people being left up to their own devices. If you thought suits getting involved with WCW at the end was bad, you ain't seen nothing yet. The LAST thing people want is folks looking at the toxic culture within WWE that isn't Vince. With that said, the only scenario is folks in WWE trying to figure out how they're going to break it to the old man that he is out and how they could go about that. Now I could see a Nick Khan or someone else in that tier possibly telling them, "Well, Vince is gonna push back." The reply will be "Let him try."

If Vince wasn't on an island by himself, I could see them trying to spin as him being railroaded. Have we gotten any statement from WWE or someone affiliated with WWE to that effect? I've never seen a company like WWE who for decades has been as adamant in fighting bad press surrounding death, steroids, traumatic brain injuries, and just general deviant behavior be so fucking quiet. Matter of fact, have any performers under contract said something like "these bitches are lying" or "Vince is innocent"? Hell, I will even take a subtweet (hashtag StandUpForVince). 

the specifics in play likely lean in Vince's favor

Uh, what specifics are in his favor? You might want to send that to his legal team.

the world right now is on a real tear in terms of major stuff going down (over the past few days a former GM got shot in the streets, one PM got forced to step down by his own party and another by a hundred thousand people gathering outside his residence and leaving him no option) so the chances of it getting lost in the noise of chaos from all corners is fairly high as well.

You can't depend on the news cycle saving you. That hasn't worked for anyone else. There has always been major things happening concurrently with other major news items.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

The real question is if/when Vince goes, how many seconds will it take for Bruce Prichard and Kevin Dunn to be fired?

I don't think that happens because companies in this situation always go the "THINGS ARE TOTALLY NORMAL" route. As the months roll on, then the doomsday clock begins for them and others.

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I’d be nice to learn that Steph really disliked them as much as the hardcore fans do. 

Stephanie fired Prichard once.

8 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I don't think that happens because companies in this situation always go the "THINGS ARE TOTALLY NORMAL" route. As the months roll on, then the doomsday clock begins for them and others.

Sure, but they can change their chairs to being very uncomfortable ones to force them out sooner.

• Like 2

On 7/9/2022 at 1:33 AM, Dog said:

None of us knew about this $7.5 million payout to a TALENT. What else don't we know? Shit, just think about the things we DO know. What if more people come out in support of Rita Chatterton's story, now that the climate is right?

This is clearly a pattern for Vince. No reason to believe there isn't more to come. How many women opened up about their Cosby encounters once that ball was rolling? Vince couldn't have gotten all his trysts/victims to sign NDAs.

Food for thought to add to this.  I know he is dead but look at all the Pat Patterson stories about what he had guys do for pushes or to be put on TV.  You think Vince didn't know about that?  What if former male talent were to come out with those stories and make them public?   Any way you look at it karma is a bitch and Vince is about to see it first hand. 

I believe Piper was one of the bigger names that spoke out about Pat.  In shoots that I can recall with the guys who were big in the 80's early 90's it seemed like Pat would target the younger enhancement talent. I could be way off but I believe Renee Dupree was the most recent name I heard mentioned. 

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

I believe Piper was one of the bigger names that spoke out about Pat.  In shoots that I can recall with the guys who were big in the 80's early 90's it seemed like Pat would target the younger enhancement talent. I could be way off but I believe Renee Dupree was the most recent name I heard mentioned. 

Well, at the time I read that Dupree was Pattersons' favorite (I guess Sylvain Grenier was, as well), but I have no real idea if they were his favorites like Johnny Ace was Mrs.Baba's favorite or just on a more platonic level?

4 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Am I right with my timelines here that Roddy Piper did a shoot interview not long after being fired in 2003 that strongly inferred he was taken advantage of by Pat Patterson, and he was brought back not long after, with the whole thing never coming up again?

Wasn’t that somewhat debunked due to Piper and Patterson not being in the same territory at the same time until the WWF in 1984? 

• Like 2

Piper issued some sort of statement later about it that was IIRC not quite an apology but an "I didn't mean to infer XYZ" but I always wondered if that was for CYA legal purposes or if his Legends deal was threatened over it or what

Edit: or as @Mister TV said, maybe because it just wasn't true

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath