DVDVR Message Board

Vince McMahon is a horny old man

Zimbra

Obviously this is all about Vince's ego as others have said.

What strikes me more than anything is that, while I'm not a regular viewer of the shows aside from the premium live events (typing that made my skin crawl), hasn't Vince as the Evil Authority figure been off TV for months and months if not years now? Like, what was his last angle? The Austin Theory stuff before WrestleMania? And even that was basically a midcard "sideshow" angle that had nothing to do with the real main events of those shows. He wasn't the focus of the shows that I saw at all. 

It just seems completely unnecessary for him to come out and explain his impending "absence" when he's been absent for 2 months and, before that, was absent for an even lengthier time and barely spoken of. Its not like its 1998 and the entire company is built around an Authority storyline. Just seems like an act of pure ego-driven hubris that is wholly unnecessary even from a kayfabe standpoint.

Edited by DMJ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope tonight's Vince segment is ludicrously tasteless. I hope he gives a coked-out, completely kayfabe promo where he yells about his penis and little else. I hope they show footage of every tasteless Attitude Era angle, every tongue-wagging sexist interaction with talent, the n-bomb, putting himself over God, the Steroid Trial, everything. An unending Who-Blew-The-Whistle? angle involving every on-screen talent. I hope he gets storyline shot by a sniper like in that Great Sasuke commercial tape and the whole night is run as a tribute show while his corpse lies in the middle of the ring and everybody has to wrestle around it.

If this is truly the end of the Vince McMahon character, I want him to die as he lived. As a leviathan of entertainment, sinking to the bottom of an ocean of ignorance.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 7

I think Vince understands his public perception is softened by any time he’s publicly humiliated on television, so I expect Mr. McMahon to go out in some especially undignified way. That way the plebs can say that Vince may be richer than any of us, he may have lived a life of moral bankruptcy and depravity, he may think we are nothing less than hill people country bumpkin marks, but darn it, he has a great sense of humor about himself. 

35 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

The article and the quote from Vince’s lawyer reads as if Vince wrote the check himself. It would be a whole other thing if it came from the WWE. 

But giving a paralegal a raise because she was in a relationship with Vince? That is something to be worried about. And there are also other NDAs being investigated.

I’m not saying it’s not shady and sleazy. Just that it’s really only an issue because shareholders are worried about their money. And if it came out of Vince’s personal account then what should anybody care. 

Now as for the shady, sleazy, gross etc part of all this...I really don’t have the energy to be grossed out anymore. Or surprised. Or the time. I’m not always sure where my next $100 is coming from let alone what some rich person is doing with his millions over affairs. Alsothings that are PC are just as fucked up if you ask me. I wonder if she got Vince pregnant.? 

Edited by BloodyChamp

7 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

I’m not saying it’s not shady and sleazy. Just that it’s really only an issue because shareholders are worried about their money. And if it came out of Vince’s personal account then what should anybody care. 

Now as for the shady, sleazy, gross etc part of all this...I really don’t have the energy to be grossed out anymore. Or surprised. Or the time. I’m not always sure where my next $100 is coming from let alone what some rich person is doing with his millions over affairs. Alsothings that are PC are just as fucked up if you ask me. I wonder if she got Vince pregnant.? 

Well, there are a few issues at hand here:

1) Hush money that came from the company itself is something that's almost always going to result in a criminal charge. And a lot of civil suits. That's an insane can of worms whenever something opens like that. So Vince (allegedly) writing a check of his own at least protects the WWE from that. That's all it is: Protection.

2)  But the power dynamics of the CEO of a company having a relationship with an employee, and the allegation that he gave her "like a toy" to someone in a management position, is horrifying. It shows absolutely awful judgment on the part of the head of a publicly traded company. It shows a lack of character. There are very likely shareholders who are considering that, no matter what the stock price does. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I hope tonight's Vince segment is ludicrously tasteless. I hope he gives a coked-out, completely kayfabe promo where he yells about his penis and little else. I hope they show footage of every tasteless Attitude Era angle, every tongue-wagging sexist interaction with talent, the n-bomb, putting himself over God, the Steroid Trial, everything. An unending Who-Blew-The-Whistle? angle involving every on-screen talent. I hope he gets storyline shot by a sniper like in that Great Sasuke commercial tape and the whole night is run as a tribute show while his corpse lies in the middle of the ring and everybody has to wrestle around it.

If this is truly the end of the Vince McMahon character, I want him to die as he lived. As a leviathan of entertainment, sinking to the bottom of an ocean of ignorance.

I can’t bring myself to hate the guy just like I couldn’t ever do it to the Dynamite Kid, Jake Roberts, Warrior, etc. 

14 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Well, there are a few issues at hand here:

1) Hush money that came from the company itself is something that's almost always going to result in a criminal charge. And a lot of civil suits. That's an insane can of worms whenever something opens like that. So Vince (allegedly) writing a check of his own at least protects the WWE from that. That's all it is: Protection.

2)  But the power dynamics of the CEO of a company having a relationship with an employee, and the allegation that he gave her "like a toy" to someone in a management position, is horrifying. It shows absolutely awful judgment on the part of the head of a publicly traded company. It shows a lack of character. There are very likely shareholders who are considering that, no matter what the stock price does. 

I've been trying to come to terms with how I feel about my favorite football team trading for a quarterback who has 25ish sexual misconduct allegations pending.  I was thinking about it one day and actually thought to myself,  "I like wrestling,  as skeezy as Deshaun Watson is,  I've looked the other way on much worse over the years." This is bad,  really bad,  and it's completely unexcusable behavior,  but I don't think this is top 5 worse Vince stories/ allegations.  I hate that the things I love make me hate myself for loving them so often. 

• Like 5

Man they screwed Baker IMO. He wasn’t the reason they didn’t top 2020 other than him not sitting down Favre style. They should have made his ass sit and told him his job was safe even though he had a GOAT backup quarterback in his place. I don’t think even he would have went undefeated so there would have been no quarterback controversy. 

40 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Not sure why you have time and energy for this but nothing for rich powerful abusive perverts. Strange priorities. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

The fucked up thing is that Vince is going to get a hero's ovation tonight. 

This is kinda what I mean when I say that longtime wrestling fans lose sight of just what a bizarre subculture wrestling is.

As if a guy accused of real-world wrongdoing appearing on national television shortly after to do anything under a fictional alternate persona isn't insane enough...unless they do the deal where Vince is already in the ring when the broadcast goes live, there's a solid chance that dude walks out to "No Chance in Hell" just like "normal." Regardless of what his actual situation is. And people will pop for the song, because it's Vince, or "Vince," and/or they don't really care, or they've just been conditioned over the years. At least to me, that's 1000% batshit crazy and abnormal but many fans won't even stop to think about it.

Then again, politicians use songs they don't understand at campaign rallies all of the time...but perhaps I've said too much.

Edited by Teflon Turtle
An unfortunate autocorrect was...corrected.
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Not sure why you have time and energy for this but nothing for rich powerful abusive perverts. Strange priorities. 

That’s hardly what I meant but anyway what are you going to do yourself today to take down Vince McMahon then...

Edited by BloodyChamp
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Teflon Turtle said:

This is kinda what I mean when I say that longtime wrestling fans lose sight of just what a bizarre subculture wrestling is.

As if a guy accused of real-world wrongdoing appearing on national television shortly after to do anything under a fictional alternate persona isn't insane enough...unless they do the deal where Vince is in the right when the broadcast goes live, there's a solid chance that dude walks out to "No Chance in Hell" just like "normal." Regardless of what his actual situation is. And people will pop for the song, because it's Vince, or "Vince," and/or they don't really care, or they've just been conditioned over the years. At least to me, that's 1000% batshit crazy and abnormal but many fans won't even stop to think about it.

Then again, politicians use songs they don't understand at campaign rallies all of the time...but perhaps I've said too much.

Years from now we may look back at this promo as the last one in the history of "wrestling" as an independent industry that follows it's own carny logic/rules/laws.

• Like 1

My *only* hope for tonight is this....

When I went to Takeover Brooklyn, Hunter came out before the opening and explained what he wanted to do.   Have us be extremely quiet so when the lights go on after he'd given his little 30 second speech, the have the crowd go crazy once they turn on the lights.   

So, hopefully, before they go on the air tonight, Vince comes out and gets his big cheer.   As they go live, Vince is already just in the ring, gives a less than a minute promo saying he's stepping away and the WWE will be in good hands in his absence.   

Opening credits then cue Roman Reigns' music.   

That's it.  Do not address the situation, do not try to rebut anything, do not try to milk any kind of adulation or reaction.   

Anything else is going to be a fucking disaster and he has to know that. 

• Like 3

I may watch the CNN segment but no fucking way will I watch Smackdown. The fact he's using this as a ratings ploy is gross and incredibly fucked up. I hope he gets booed to death but I doubt it. 

This thread has been very entertaining and thanks all for the jokes. What a fucking insane week for wrestling. 

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I've been trying to come to terms with how I feel about my favorite football team trading for a quarterback who has 25ish sexual misconduct allegations pending.  I was thinking about it one day and actually thought to myself,  "I like wrestling,  as skeezy as Deshaun Watson is,  I've looked the other way on much worse over the years." This is bad,  really bad,  and it's completely unexcusable behavior,  but I don't think this is top 5 worse Vince stories/ allegations.  I hate that the things I love make me hate myself for loving them so often. 

All these rich dudes do this. Not excusing it at all. I work for a billionaire. All these dudes do this. The problem for Vince now would be for more women to go public. Or, if these are all office workers, for a wrestler to go public. We’ll see what happens as it stands now. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

My *only* hope for tonight is this....

When I went to Takeover Brooklyn, Hunter came out before the opening and explained what he wanted to do.   Have us be extremely quiet so when the lights go on after he'd given his little 30 second speech, the have the crowd go crazy once they turn on the lights.   

So, hopefully, before they go on the air tonight, Vince comes out and gets his big cheer.   As they go live, Vince is already just in the ring, gives a less than a minute promo saying he's stepping away and the WWE will be in good hands in his absence.   

Opening credits then cue Roman Reigns' music.   

That's it.  Do not address the situation, do not try to rebut anything, do not try to milk any kind of adulation or reaction.   

You know he's not going to do that. It's going to be cold open, "CHANCES..." hits, he struts out, makes a joke about anyone see any funny stories in the news lately, pimp out WWE, and maybe book a title match. What you said is what should happen, but that's like hoping Trump stays on script and/or doesn't immediately go to Twitter and spew some fucking nonsense bullshit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Based solely on listening to Bruce's podcast and conjecture, my belief is Vince runs entirely on not knowing that and is completely fine with the consequences of that ignorance.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, matt925 said:

All these rich dudes do this. Not excusing it at all. I work for a billionaire. All these dudes do this. The problem for Vince now would be for more women to go public. Or, if these are all office workers, for a wrestler to go public. We’ll see what happens as it stands now. 

I get what you're saying,  but that's not really the point. What other people do is their business,  and I can't possibly fight every battle for everything. I do get to care about the things I personally connect with,  and I don't want the things I love to be covered in this type of sleaze. I don't want to be associated with this type of behavior and therefore don't want to spry things associated with this behavior. In about a sex positive of a person as possible. Let your freak flag fly as long as you're being freaky with people who are also down with said freakiness. Once you cross that line though,  I don't have any sympathy. I don't care how many people do it or how widespread of an issue it is,  I get to draw the line in my life. This is a line,  and I have to figure out how hard I want to dig in and fight to hold this line. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, matt925 said:

Maybe this isn’t blowing over lol. 

Oh great now A_K is gonna rant about how CNN is fake and the language he spoke during the interview is a work and how we're all dumb dumbs for not seeing through this obviously worked storyline CNN is doing to show how bad a journalist Meltzer is ??

• Like 3