DVDVR Message Board

Vince McMahon is a horny old man

Zimbra

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

That's what you remember from that interview? I remember him saying his first sexual experience involved putting leaves and dirt up a girl's vagina way, way clearer.

Like supremebve said, this is just a familiar walk in the park. 

Didn't he also somewhat infer murdering his abusive stepfather? Some weird comment like "yeah, he wasn't around much after that.."

11 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Vince has bragged about his sexual appetite for decades.  I still remember that long-ago Playboy interview where he was fairly candid about cheating on Linda.  As has been noted many times before, Vince's idea of wrestling is still rooted in the 80's.  In many ways. he still runs his publicly-traded company like an up-and-coming family business.  A sex scandal seems pretty much in character for him.  I'm mostly surprised he left enough of a paper trail for an investigation and a leak.

I'm not rooting for Vince to be taken down by this - I don't really much care one way or the other - but I am curious to see how this plays out.  I don't think his tv partners abandon him, but I could see them forcing him out.  He's 76, I think.  There's no obvious line of succession, but, at the same time, there's not a huge upside to leaving him in place much longer.  It's going to be time for him to step down soon one way or the other.  I'm sure Khan and others can run the business.  It's less certain how easy it will be to replace Vince creatively.  For all the bitching about his booking, there aren't a lot of great candidates out there to replace him.  What I've seen of NXT, Heyman's last few runs, the last 20 years of Raw, etc. doesn't make me think there's a good candidate inside the company, and there aren't a lot of obvious candidates outside the company.

Probably going to be interesting times ahead.  

I was thinking about this; if Vince & cronies leave/step down who gets the book?

But here's the thing WWE isn't really booked any more, Random matches and feuds and rematches. lots of 50/50. plus some skits by the "comedy" writers. Titles just get passed around for no real reason. we are not getting a year "long mega powers explode" type angles anymore. you really don't need a "booker" for this. anyone could do it. Or just a have a computer randomly put people together

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I was thinking about this; if Vince & cronies leave/step down who gets the book?

But here's the thing WWE isn't really booked any more, Random matches and feuds and rematches. lots of 50/50. plus some skits by the "comedy" writers. Titles just get passed around for no real reason. we are not getting a year "long mega powers explode" type angles anymore. you really don't need a "booker" for this. anyone could do it. Or just a have a computer randomly put people together

giphy.gif

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

These types of lawsuits are a dime a dozen. They're called shareholder suits. Most of the time they don't lead to anything. This law firm is trying to get people who own shares to call them up and join a class action lawsuit alleging that the board and executives didn't do what they should have done when managing the financial stakes of the company. There are probably a bunch of other law firms looking to do the same thing right now. They happen for any company that gets hit with some kind of bad news. 

I used to write about the energy industry. We never wrote about shareholder suits being filed because they were so common. 

Edited by Greggulator
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

Not a fucking clue how reliable these folks are, but that sell off by Dunn isn't going to just slip thru the cracks, I don't think ? 

Then I guess this is a nothing-burger?

It might be. It might not be. 

You don't need to be on the board of directors to be accused of insider trading.

You just need to be at a high enough level on the corporate ladder where you can get wind of information ahead of time that may or may not be detrimental to the company. This also means good news. EXAMPLE: Someone in the executive team knows that the WWE is about to get a lot of money from Kuwait for a bunch of shows there, and he buys a bunch of shares expecting the price to pop. 

Dunn could have just wanted to get $1 million to buy a new vacation home. But he also could have caught wind of the investigation and decided to sell just in case. It might be something someone looks into.

I posted that because people saying there's increased volume just a few hours before the WSJ posted its article indicated insider trading is just dumb. It's almost impossible to do so since if you're at a high enough level to find out that news you have a lot of disclosures and hoops to jump through.  You have to notify the WWE's audit committee and also the SEC. You can't just do that right away.

If you're going to do something like that, you'll want to get out before word breaks that this could happen. 

My hunch is that it's most likely nothing exactly because Kevin Dunn has to disclose those shares he sold. 

I'm flattered though that some website I've never heard of is reading the board and my posts especially.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Okay. I'm super high right now so this may not make sense. But for those who understand business stuff:

If this is just part of what becomes the downfall of Vince and the company ends up in the hands of who-knows, is it valid to look all the way back to 1999 and say "Well, I could have told you as soon as they went public that it was just a matter of time before the stock boys would find a way to take the whole thing away from him."

Like I mean the idea that once a company becomes publically traded, it stops actually being "a company" and becomes simply "an asset." From that moment the WWE gradually inevitably became less of what Vince made ("a company that promotes wrestling") and more of what it's stock is ("a media brand asset that can be utilized in numerous ways to grow profit and stock price")

And while Vince McMahon may have been a hell of a useful guy to have around in "a company that promotes wrestling" he's not so much of a value in "a media brand asset that can be utilized in numerous ways to grow profit and stock price."

Like, is this just the inevitable and predictable consequence of submitting to the stock market for that big payoff? Or is that just an old man who hates "Wall Street types" looking to confirm that they destroy all who embrace them? (that's me. I'm the old porch man screaming about wall street.)

Did I mention I was high?

Edited by piranesi
  • Like 14

Nah I'm with you @piranesi

The second you go public is the second you are reduced to nothing more than a number.

It's taken a while because the public perception among the financial 'elite' was "Ew, rasslin!" but that's dissipated over time as the numbers kept going up. Now that we live in a world where volume of content from a recognisable brand is more important than the quality of that content, a borderline monopoly like WWE becomes very enticing.

See Disney Star Wars and Marvel Phase 4 for more evidence of this standard.

• Like 6

Some of the comments citing WWE stock movements do not realise this has had next to no effect on the stock. The entire market has had a sledgehammer taken to it this year .. WWE stock actually up 35% in 6 months vs. the wider S&P being down 20%. For context, Live Nation (another live-events business) is down 30% year to date. WME Endeavour (UFC owner) down 43% year to date. WWE has been literally one of the best performing mid-cap equities in the market through this period - there's not a single comparable media/events business performance. Hell, even on the 5 day view with this news baked in and one of the worst market runs in 150 years its down a mighty .. -0.21%.  

If anything this is highly suggestive of a take-over looming at a high price. There are few other sensible reasons as to why they would be outperforming their peers in the live event/media/talent management space to such an obscene degree.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 2

Honestly, Nick Kahn seems like Ozymindias from Watchmen now. "No Vince, I did it thirty minutes ago." You aced Triple H, you aced Shane, you aced William Regal for no particular reason and then aced Stephanie. This looks very suspect like someone is playing chess while other people are playing checkers.

• Like 2

All of this is now really interesting based on the blurb as part of Dave's recap in the new WON

Eight of the 12 members of the WWE Board of Directors started the investigation in April after first receiving the emails. Of the four who are not part of this investigation, three were Vince McMahon, Stephanie McMahon and Paul Levesque. It is believed the fourth person not involved is company President Nick Khan.

However, the timeline of this coming to light on 3/30 shows that Stephanie McMahon was aware of this prior to her taking a leave from the company, having her position quickly filled, and then the Business Insider article that categorized her as not being good at her job after she left. This brings up the question as to whether or not this knowledge in any way affected either her leaving or her being buried after leaving, of those two things, although those close to the situation deny that.

One person with extensive knowledge of that aspect of the story said that they believed Stephanie McMahon being buried was a pre-emptive move to preserve the stock price. To the outside world, the idea of Vince McMahon’s daughter and the her apparent to the top position in the company leaving the company she’s worked for her entire adult life would sound like something is wrong with the company. So they leak out that she underperformed at her job and her father pushed her out so that would explain that there wasn’t anything wrong, she was just not good at her job.

One person who knows of the reasons behind Stephanie McMahon’s decision to leave, which has yet to come out past the family aspect of the story which was part of it, said that this story and her leaving was unrelated.

Still, with the timing and her having knowledge of this for three weeks before she left, one would think there is a tie-in. But the reasons for her leaving dated back to January or earlier and even if this may have added to it, the decision would have been made before the emails were sent to the board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1