DVDVR Message Board

Vince McMahon is a horny old man

Zimbra

I feel like the only thing that would actually force McMahon out here is if broadcast or corporate partners threaten to sever relationships. 

It's not like people threatening to boycott WWE or #CancelWWENetwork on Twitter ever worked. WWE fans are part of the problem for why WWE is as bad as it is.

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Besides being public now, I don't think what you're saying is any different than what people were saying in 1991-1994 when you had the Zahorian trial, the enhancement talent lawsuits from guys getting hurt working with contracted talent, the Jesse Ventura lawsuit, the ring boy scandal, the steroid trial, etc. And all that was happening when WWF could least afford it business wise. Now, Vince could be removed tomorrow and it would not have as great an impact to the WWE as it would have 25-30 years had it happened. The only thing in my mind that would or should have changed is Vince's mindset of operating on plausible deniability and also the notion of we'll let our enemies take their pound of flesh and it will all be soothed cause we have McDevitt in our back pocket. Neither works anymore especially the former in a public traded company. As for the latter, I don't expect Jerry McDevitt to be pulling miracles out of his ass at the point. In the 90s (and 2000s), the blowback was brutal but Vince was willing to deal with that as long as he skated. Now? If there is any substantial ramifications from this, he is gone with the quickness. It's no longer enough to be found not guilty in a court of law.

Yeah I don’t really believe there is any difference, either across entertainment or society in general, compared to the late 80’s/90’s. If anything, I’d say predators have gotten more effective at being able to pick out targets for abuse and concealing it compared to “the bad old days”. 

Given their corporate structure, nobody within the company seems like they’d really have the power to force him out, especially if only personal funds were used. If he has used company funds then it’s a different story. But assuming it was only personal funds, it will need to be a choice by him to step aside. I would not bet on that happening anytime soon. Even if NBC were able to walk away from their contract,  it’s hard not to think they still wouldn’t get picked up by another cable network. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

I feel like the only thing that would actually force McMahon out here is if broadcast or corporate partners threaten to sever relationships. 

It's not like people threatening to boycott WWE or #CancelWWENetwork on Twitter ever worked. WWE fans are part of the problem for why WWE is as bad as it is.

Maybe the PIF can make up the losses of any sponsors, look at the money they are splashing on golfers.

• Like 1

So people suspect this is the real reason Steph stepped down. WWE has been super bizarro World since Nick Kahn took over from Hunter losing power to. NXT changing to Steph being made like an incompetent employee now this scandal comes out. What next?

Aren't the two classes of shares set up in such a way that although its publicly traded, the McMahons hold the balance of power in such a scenario anyway?

I mean given everything that's gone on this year, Steph/Hunter voting him out isn't that big a stretch, but it would be a huge kick in the share price for them to make such a concession, no?

8 hours ago, Octopus said:

What wrestling move rhymes with wiener?

Chinlock, Headlock, Hammerlock, Armlock, Wristlock, Waistlock, Ankle lock, Indian Deathlock, Shoulder Block...

Kitchen Sink.

Spin Kick, Superkick, Dropkick etc etc. Mule Kick being by far the best one.

Wishbone.

It's kind of a stretch, but Slam rhymes with "ham" and that opens up a lot of possibilities.

Any kind of Pumphandle, Facebuster, or Jawbreaker could probably work without rhyming, as could several Driver variations 

And, of course, the Small Package. 

• Like 4

Double post. Sorry. But: I finally got around to reading Mox's book, Mox, this week... and I just got done reading this passage. 

(Freaky timing, what with the Horny Vince news breaking now).

I used to have a theory that Vince’s plan was to scuttle the ship, intentionally crashing and burning WWE, like the Hindenburg, before he died so that nobody, not Hunter, Steph or Shane could ever take it over. I pictured him cackling maniacally while hundreds of drums of gasoline exploded atop Titan Towers, having the last laugh. Dude, remember that one promo where Vince brought back the NWO, and he’s all like, “I’m gonna kill it! I’m gonna kill MY CREATION!” See what I’m saying? It makes perfect sense. 

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 7

9 hours ago, (BP) said:

Remember when the stock tanked after Vince pretended to sell the company to a reality show guy? And then the reality show guy burned the republic to the ground? Weird stuff.  

Signs you know The Electoral College doesn't work: we elected president a guy Wall Street didn't even trust to run a fake fighting organization.

9 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

"Buy my company Elon!"

The only CEO gimmick nuttier and more erratic than Mr. McMahon.

3 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Aren't the two classes of shares set up in such a way that although its publicly traded, the McMahons hold the balance of power in such a scenario anyway?

Yes.  The family own "B shares," which have 10x the voting power than the public "A shares."  Or something along those lines.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

The only really surprising part, to me, is how many people are surprised by this.

This is a strawman, I don't think anyone is actually surprised by this.  I've read the entire thread, and I don't think anyone said anything that even seemed like they were surprised by this.  We aren't the people being interviewed outside of the serial killers house talking about how they never knew.  Honestly, I'd be that there is a consensus on this board that Vince knowingly covered up a murder, none of us are surprised by this.  We kind of all know who Vince McMahon is, and we're just discussing the latest example of Vince being Vince.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Vince has bragged about his sexual appetite for decades.  I still remember that long-ago Playboy interview where he was fairly candid about cheating on Linda.  As has been noted many times before, Vince's idea of wrestling is still rooted in the 80's.  In many ways. he still runs his publicly-traded company like an up-and-coming family business.  A sex scandal seems pretty much in character for him.  I'm mostly surprised he left enough of a paper trail for an investigation and a leak.

I'm not rooting for Vince to be taken down by this - I don't really much care one way or the other - but I am curious to see how this plays out.  I don't think his tv partners abandon him, but I could see them forcing him out.  He's 76, I think.  There's no obvious line of succession, but, at the same time, there's not a huge upside to leaving him in place much longer.  It's going to be time for him to step down soon one way or the other.  I'm sure Khan and others can run the business.  It's less certain how easy it will be to replace Vince creatively.  For all the bitching about his booking, there aren't a lot of great candidates out there to replace him.  What I've seen of NXT, Heyman's last few runs, the last 20 years of Raw, etc. doesn't make me think there's a good candidate inside the company, and there aren't a lot of obvious candidates outside the company.

Probably going to be interesting times ahead.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The Natural said:

2022. What an eventful year in wrestling.

For all of the intrigue of the late 90's/early 2000's that pro wrestling brought, these last couple of years have been so much weirder.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I still remember that long-ago Playboy interview where he was fairly candid about cheating on Linda.

That's what you remember from that interview? I remember him saying his first sexual experience involved putting leaves and dirt up a girl's vagina way, way clearer.

Like supremebve said, this is just a familiar walk in the park. 

• Like 2

One thing from a finance standpoint I'm really interested in (and might have to research) is how ESG investing might come into play with this.

If you need a primer: ESG stands for "Environment, Social, Governance." This has gotten an insane amount of attention the past few years. The general concept is that big investment funds that specialize in this space want to only invest in companies that do good for the environment, have a social benefit (having diverse representation, etc.) and are well-governed and away from conflicts-of-interest (Enron).

But ESG is a completely nebulous term. There have been instances where cigarette companies or even Exxon have appeared in an ESG fund. A company like Goldman Sachs might get into an ESG fund because they don't emit carbon since it's an investment bank (but one that invests in plenty of horrible project.) The "E" part of it has gotten all of the attention. The "S" has become a focus post-George Floyd and #MeToo, but it's still just such a vague term. 

The SEC is working on definitions for what ESG actually means. European regulators have done that work already but (shockingly) the US is far behind.

It's probably very likely that the WWE is in some ESG funds because it's carbon-neutral and/or they've convinced people they promote diversity. But "CEO gives hush money to mistress who was also allegedly gifted to a senior executive and this probably isn't a singular incident" absolutely does not meet the "S" or "G" components.

Edited by Greggulator
  • Like 3