DVDVR Message Board

6/15/2022- AEW DYNAMITE!

DEAN

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

This thread is why people discussing ratings for any promotion make me roll my eyes.

Ratings are low? THIS IS WHY PEOPLE SHOULD DO THINGS EXACTLY THE WAY I DEMAND AND I AM RIGHT AND et cetera et cetera et cetera

Ratings are high? THIS IS WHAT THE PEOPLE DEMAND AND OBVIOUSLY THEY NEED MORE OF THIS AND I AM RIGHT AND et cetera et cetera et cetera

Viewing trends and outside circumstances and +7 numbers are never factored in, it's always break out the jump to conclusions mat and screech about your agendas and I'm just like "y'all it's not that serious, if you liked the show then you liked it and if you didn't you didn't".

Someone on a podcast I just listened to pointed out that the MCU conditioned their fans to think like mini studio chiefs so that they justify why there needs to be so many extraneous threads in the movies to set up future installments. It made me realize that wrestling fandom got there decades ago, and we tend to think of things in terms of being a promoter. Not great. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I've never understood caring about ratings and discussing it in depth as a fan, I want the show I like to be successful to make sure it keeps going but apart from that I could give zero fucks.

• Like 5

I’m interested in ratings and think they can be a useful discussion point...but far too often those discussions degrade into people seizing on isolated data points, devoid of meaningful context, in order to justify their prior beliefs.

Those are not useful or interesting or even enjoyable discussions, and I avoid them.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, eikerir said:

I've never understood caring about ratings and discussing it in depth as a fan, I want the show I like to be successful to make sure it keeps going but apart from that I could give zero fucks.

It's that second part that does it for me. Can't speak for anyone else here, but losing WCW and ECW within a month of each other, and then living though false start after false start (WWA, XWF, TNA, WSX, etc.) has rendered me incapable of not obsessing over AEW's viewership numbers, especially with another corporate merger looming. I don't put as much stock into it as others do, because I understand that the landscape has changed tremendously since 2001 and there are plenty of other metrics to measure AEW's success by, but I'd be straight up lying if it's something I said I didn't think about frequently.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Stefanie the Human said:

This thread is why people discussing ratings for any promotion make me roll my eyes.

Ratings are low? THIS IS WHY PEOPLE SHOULD DO THINGS EXACTLY THE WAY I DEMAND AND I AM RIGHT AND et cetera et cetera et cetera

Ratings are high? THIS IS WHAT THE PEOPLE DEMAND AND OBVIOUSLY THEY NEED MORE OF THIS AND I AM RIGHT AND et cetera et cetera et cetera

Viewing trends and outside circumstances and +7 numbers are never factored in, it's always break out the jump to conclusions mat and screech about your agendas and I'm just like "y'all it's not that serious, if you liked the show then you liked it and if you didn't you didn't".

42 minutes ago, eikerir said:

I'm so glad F4W/WON posts timestamps because I never listen to Meltzer's ratings talk.  I just do. not. give. a. shit.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Last night's rating is why you keep MJF instead of Eddie Kingston. It's also why you don't gift-wrap top stars to WWE.

Especially after pushing Eddie's match as heavily as they did. Non-stop, wall to wall promotion of that big Eddie Kingston match.

?

• Haha 3

Ratings are something that are super interesting because of the different amount of ways we consume our programming now. Twitter allows you to basically follow a show without having to watch it live. YouTube lets you see any highlights you may have missed. There's a litany of websites out there that stream the shows illegally and how many people watch through those means? And that's without me mentioning podcasts or review shows.

I'd love nothing more than for ratings to be a 6.0 and have millions and millions watching these shows. But with how much more accessible all of the content is now compared to the late 90's/early 00's - I doubt we will ever see ratings come even close to that again. This isn't football or basketball where you NEED to watch it live. You miss an episode of RAW or AEW? You can just catch up on YouTube cause you've ALWAYS got next weeks show to look forward to. No offseason.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, (BP) said:

Someone on a podcast I just listened to pointed out that the MCU conditioned their fans to think like mini studio chiefs so that they justify why there needs to be so many extraneous threads in the movies to set up future installments. It made me realize that wrestling fandom got there decades ago, and we tend to think of things in terms of being a promoter. Not great. 

Wrestling as an artform greatly relies on the foolish dreams of its audience. The ideal WWE kid grows up wanting to main event Wrestle Mania. When you grow up and realize you can't, your brain transitions right into wanting to be Vince or some other promoter, Gedo or some other booker, Meltzer or some other journo/critic, Cornette or some other shithead.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2022 at 8:13 PM, Gordlow said:

Good Lord Dynamite is LOADED this week. Bucks vs JX ladder match, Britt vs Storm, Page vs Miro Atlantic qualifier, Dax vs Ospreay (!!!), Jericho vs Ortiz hair match, Wardlow vs 20 Plaintiffs.

But that's not what we are here to talk about. We are here to talk about Konosuke Takashita's infatuation with and interest in cinnamon rolls, high end burger chains, and now fish sandwiches. 

I think I have some insight into this! I considered going on about it in the Navel Gazing or Food threads...

But: there is a massive general cultural obsession in Japan with local special foods. It's by no means unique to Japan but I'm willing to argue that it's more advanced, developed, and widespread here than anywhere else in the world.

Kind of like how if you go to Philadelphia you should probably eat a cheesesteak and if you are in Cincinnati you might as well get a plate of Skyline chili...

There is a particular neighbourhood in Osaka where I go to eat kushikatsu with Kuuga and our many mutual friends. People come to Osaka specifically and entirely to eat kushikatsu, okonomiyaki,and takoyaki. I have, more than once,travelled to Nagoya just to eat tebasaki and miso katsu. There are other special foods in Nagoya, but I have not tried them because I am in Nagoya to overconsume my two favourites and eating an eel box or flat noodles in deep brown miso would interfere with that goal.

Any time my wife and I discuss travel plans, the special local food and drink is the primary concern. Sightseeing and so on is to kill time between meals. That is in no way unusual here. It's part of the culture in Japan. A big, important,thoroughly enjoyable part of the culture.

Meibutsu culture

So, of course Takeshita wants to eat all the foods in America that you can't get in Japan. And of course if fish sandwiches are a special local food in Florida,he would like to go to Florida to eat one (or more).

Thank you for coming to my Ted talk. If you'd like to derail this thread by bringing up more examples of special local food from around the world, that would be delightful. 

we can just all agree, takeshita is winner of living his best life this week, right?  

This or he's going to be the new yokozuna before his trip to America is over.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

we can just all agree, takeshita is winner of living his best life this week, right?  

This or he's going to be the new yokozuna before his trip to America is over.

Or the new White Goodman.

the-goon-dodgeball.gif

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Or the new White Goodman.

the-goon-dodgeball.gif

How many different movies did Stiller play a variation of that character? Originated in Heavyweights (unless it was a Ben Stiller show bit), then of course Dodgeball.

On 6/16/2022 at 8:41 AM, HumanChessgame said:

I realize this is more of a me problem, but would it hurt them to do brief video packages about the New Japan guys that are going to be featured at Forbidden Door for those in the audience who don't follow NJPW?

when i said the same thing about Minoru Suzuki showing up last year, i was told to "educate myself". i feel like the attitude hasn't changed much. 

re: Matt Hughes. Yes, he's a piece of shit. As an old school UFC fan, he was dominant, but the more i heard about him the more i hated him. I was confused to see that he was to face off against Wardlow, as i knew about the train deal, but he could barely move. It almost made me feel sympathy for the bastard (almost).

if Okada isn't on this event [Forbidden Door], then i certainly won't make it a priority. 

• Like 2

On 6/16/2022 at 9:41 AM, HumanChessgame said:

I realize this is more of a me problem, but would it hurt them to do brief video packages about the New Japan guys that are going to be featured at Forbidden Door for those in the audience who don't follow NJPW? Excalibur pointing out who they are and what's notable about them is one thing, but a 60 second montage of a guy with a "coming soon to Forbidden Door" thing would make them look like a big deal. I recal WCW doing something like that when they had their cross promotional event.

Not sure if my experience is applicable to anyone else here, but here's where I'm at. I don't watch NJ regularly, but I do know that guys like AJ Styles and Kenny Omega were top stars there in the last 10 years or so. I've also seen a handful of the biggest Tanahashi and Okada matches, so I know what they're about. So while I don't watch NJ consistently, I still have a good idea of what their style is, what they value in a wrestler, and by extension what the majority of wrestlers there aspire to be. From there, I can reasonably assume that most NJ's roster will mesh well with AEW's roster and produce a show full of good matches. I can trust my basic wrestling comprehension (plus some Excalibur exposition) to mostly understand any necessary stories and even if I might miss some finer details that regular NJ viewers might pick up, I wouldn't expect it to hinder my enjoyment of the show.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, eikerir said:

Probably because the future of the product and promotion literally depend on them.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

So. Uh. The reason you don't keep Eddie Kingston over MJF and gift-wrap stars to the competition is because otherwise you might end up #1 in your timeslot and tied for #1 overall for Wednesday?

OK then. 

Edit: You know what would pop a huge rating? Bring back Shaq!!

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

So. Uh. The reason you don't keep Eddie Kingston over MJF and gift-wrap stars to the competition is because otherwise you might end up #1 in your timeslot and tied for #1 overall for Wednesday?

OK then. 

Edit: You know what would pop a huge rating? Bring back Shaq!!

They didn't tie for No. 1. They were No. 2.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2022 at 6:41 AM, HumanChessgame said:

I realize this is more of a me problem, but would it hurt them to do brief video packages about the New Japan guys that are going to be featured at Forbidden Door for those in the audience who don't follow NJPW? Excalibur pointing out who they are and what's notable about them is one thing, but a 60 second montage of a guy with a "coming soon to Forbidden Door" thing would make them look like a big deal. I recal WCW doing something like that when they had their cross promotional event.

I think this highlights one of TK's blindspots. He's such a huge wrestling dork of course he knows who all these guys are but then expects we all know it as well. I try to keep up with NJPW on AXS when I have time so I know who the main players are but I don't know everyone. Some of these debuts have a TNA "OH WE KNOW WHO THAT IS!" feel to them

• Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
4 hours ago, Octopus said:

If my favorite burger joint became a hotdog restaurant instead they would sell more meat and stay in business better.

I INSIST THEY SELL SUB SANDWICHES, THE MARGIN IS BETTER, I AM RIGHT BECAUSE I SAY I AM