DVDVR Message Board

6/15/2022- AEW DYNAMITE!

DEAN

9 hours ago, matwarz said:

My god Dax and Will was a vintage TV match. Absolutely flawless execution, heat and back and forth. Dax continually gets his deserved respect, but people are still seriously going to tell me Ospreay isn’t as good as there is? Please.

I've seen a bunch of people saying that Ospreay carried Dax. These people are fools.

• Like 9

Currently watching the show and just stopped to post how damn enjoyable the Dax/Ospreay match is right now. 

Some just click together so well. And now I really want a OC vs Ospreay match, who knew?

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 6

19 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

Anyone know what the beef is between Santana and Ortiz?

Nothing has been reported yet, so nobody knows if it’s personal or just business, but it’s just become very clear that *something* has gone down.

I will say that the fact that they don’t seem to even want to be onscreen together anymore (outside of big group settings), after working almost exclusively as a tag team for the past 10 years, suggests something went sour between them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, DEAN said:

THURSDAY REFLECTIONS:  Yes, it's the INTERNATIONAL FEED!  The fact that Eddie Kingston is the first one to try to end the match by hitting a Urican behind the ref's back makes Sammy's run-in justified!  I didn't realize that detail until I rewatched the INTERNATIONAL FEED! I assume this means that Ortiz will shave Jericho's head down the line.  The Wardlow match is an Ode to Kung Fu movie fights after they are powered out to disperse!  These are SECURITY GUARDS!  Why are they expected to beat a wrestler in a wrestling ring!  They should have Wardlow have to go to a club and make guys take off their cowboy hats and hit on hot chicks while checking their IDs.  Sterling should become Wardlow's Bobby Heenan to Wardlow's Hulk Hogan.  Sterling IS pre-neck injury, bumping Bobby Heenan!  Will Ospreay getting over as a face eventhough he works total heel is the reason Dax Harwood is over- modern wrestling fans dig guys who can go.  Zack Sabre Jr will be so over as a face no matter what he does.  AEW is a promotion of 1986 Arn Andersons.  Dax Harwood is so fucking intense.  Ospreay is great taking Dax's offense.  The SUWA Dropkick by Ospreay on the outside INTO THE CAMERA angle was so fucking great.  During the Picture in Picture that you rubes had to endure, the crowd is very vocally torn between Ospreay and Harwood.  Dax does the Bret Hart Sternum First Into the turnbuckle and JR doesn't bring up the connection- as I assume someone sat him down and told him how stupid it is to bring it up.  Ospreay is awesome taking the Released German on his neck- and Excalibur emphasizes this by bringing up Ospreay's neck trouble.  Harwood sells the powerbomb by rolling through for a two count and heading for the outside.  The crowd is waaay behind Dax's Lyger Bomb and really rises when Ospreay kicks out.  They have the same response to Ospreay's Lyger Bomb.  So St Louis crowds are as good as Southern California crowds.  Will Ospreay being confused by the whole Orange Cassidy thing is great.  Will Ospreay is the big winner in the Forbidden Door build up.  I assume he will be an AEW regular considering how quickly he got over.  Who dubbed this the Kingston Combat Club?  So great.  I guess Jericho is just freeballing the booking since TK is scrambling with everybody hurt or drunk driving.  Jericho books AEW like a grandscale Memphis, trying to get every one to the Memphis Coliseum this Friday and it's FUN!  Miro is like Road Warrior Hawk after they got over their initial annoying no-selling everything phase, in the way that he sells all out and then hits giant moves for a comeback.  Miro selling the shoulder is good old school story telling to negate the obvious awesome offensive advantage of Miro.  JR talks about Ethan Pages size and MMA background during the rubes' Picture in Picture.  Dan Lambert is the star of the INTERNATIONAL FEED!   Miro's selling carries the match until Ethan Page does the GREAT "PRAY TO ME, YOUR GOD!" spot and turn the tide of the match.  Ethan Page is a great old school wrestler. PSYCHOLOGY!   Britt Baker laying it in and bumping big is the difference in this compared to a normal Brit Baker match.   Baker is wearing her Owen Hart outfit.  During the EXCLUSIVE INTERNATIONAL FEED BIG SCREEN, Baker feeds the crowd backing Toni Storm by heeling it up.  The St Louis crowd who backed Will Ospreay for his skill, ALSO reacts to Toni Storm's 1970s babyface comeback, thus St Louis crowds are the best crowds.  Brit Baker wrestled this match as a GREAT heel- hitting her finisher after being a total bastard heel, but Toni Storm is Ricky Steamboat as she wills her way to kick out and hit her own finishers and being a better technical wrestler and winning.  That match could have gotten over in the Norfolk Scope in 1975.  A TRIUMPH!  Stokely Hathaway adds to the AEW is Memphis vibe, being a manager who sets up matches I want to see.  I await Blue Dragon and the Natural to debate how hideous the IWGP belt looks.  I guess they are going with Jay White vs Bryan Danielson?  Adam Cole is great being baffled while Jay White walks past him.   Your main event is fun but it isn;t really a wrestling match but a collection of table spots and back drops onto ladders.  They did make it so that the double decker table set up is the only table spot that actually mattered.  The Young Bucks aren't the Rock n Roll Express or the Midnight Express or anything, but the match was an extreme extension of the ECW main event.  Probably could have used the Hardy's so someone would have actually sold something, but that match pleased the St Louis crowd and it was the best crowd ever, so they got what they wanted so we as wrestling fans should be happy.   And we are.   Christian does the best heel turn in a while.

I am 100% on board with Wardlow getting a Hogan push. 

• Like 3

That’s awful. That’s so bad I’m not even gonna make semi-serious accusations about no one wanting to see the Jackson’s. That’s a “back to the drawing board” number, particularly with the network ownership transition…

• Like 1

Well that main event was awesome and TLC levels of crazy, loved it and they went 100% all out on a free TV match which is not often seen in this hardcore matches.

Christian’s heel turn came out great and like a genuine violent outburst, not a lot of posing or stalling just violent and angry, good stuff.

• Like 1

Only starting to watch now, but props to Ortiz for defiantly giving himself ugliest possible version of the haircut! I mean there's no way the professional in the ring with the trimmer could have giving him a worse cut if he tried! Oh, and THERE was your Sammy heel turn, but is this the smartest thing you can do now? Come back to Jericho?!?

The security guards are human beings, they have names. How dare you just call them by numbers? What are their names? Well, I'm sure there's a Bob in there. Travis, maybe? I wanna say... Dan?

Either way, wouldn't this be like the exact opposite of Rule of Law? It was either mob rules or might makes right, so fucked up either way? I mean sure, settle a lawsuit in the ring, but maybe the plaintiffs should have picked someone to champion them, instead?

Osprey is really putting a lot of effort into looking and acting like a total scumbag! I'll be damned, I guess all that effort offended Orange Cassidy? Effort? Not on my watch, fucker!

Edited by Shartnado
Commentary added...
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, EVA said:

But it was weirdly still #2 in the demo for cable. Looks like it was just a bad night in the cable industry overall for...some reason?

NHL did a massive number and destroyed everything last night.

Yay. Lightning in the finals again. And the Avs. Fuck them both.

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

This is also the week a lot of school districts tend to finish up for the year, or the first full week they would have finished up, so family vacations are starting up and people probably aren't watching a ton of live TV unless they're sick of being around each other.

(At least, that's what my workforce analytics brain is telling me as I remind my boss that yes, our shrinkage numbers are accurate.)

EDIT: Caveat, live TV. People probably aren't watching live TV. Live+7 numbers might be more like what you're expecting.

Edited by Stefanie the Human

Someone described Ospreay as vanilla last week and I was wondering how anyone could look vanilla next to Aussie Open. This week they make their run in wearing plain white t-shirts. I don't know why that stood out so much to me. Lots of logos to choose from guys.

Jericho Appreciation Society and Suzuki-Gun don't seem like they should be buddies. Suzuki-Gun presence on Dynamite does ever so slightly open the door for a ZSJ appearance though. If any Bryan interaction is on the cards Zack has never been one to cater his promos to either Japanese or American audiences so I hope he goes all in on Blackpool being a ridiculous place to name an intimidating combat club after.

Amazing that Shuta, a guy best known among even devoted fans for his non-speaking (/non-moving?) role in backstage segments from a 2019 Japan-only tournament gets a hearty pop when mentioned.

Forbidden Door is a couple of weeks away and short on matches so great to have Switchblade and friends do a segment seemingly unannouncing one. The sensible thought is that they wouldn't be dropping Okada's name all the time if he wasn't going to show (Kazuchikhov's gun?) but in case he isn't I'm down for sowing seeds for an appearance somewhere down the line. A lot of people interested in AEW/NJPW have fantasy booked their own coin drop on Dynamite moment and you don't want to waste that money shot on a last minute tag match. Hell, keep mentioning him for years like he's Columbo's wife then eventually even people who have never seen him might care when the name turns into a dude standing on the ramp.

• Like 5

Jericho stuff does good normally.

Tanahashi vs Moxley is a draw, NJPW guy vs ex WWE guy to some people. You wouldn't get that ever with WWE's isolation rules. That match appeals to dream matchers and to people who don't normally watch AEW too.

• Like 3

Finished up the show today, skipped the main event last night because bed called but also, not huge into the Bucks but the match was excellent for a ladder spot fest! Especially liked not seeing the pained, slowwwww cliiiiiiimbing and reeeeeaching that other ladder matches often suffer from. 

I'm not gonna say a thing about Jamie Hayter's pants. Newp.

Dax rules. Mox rules. Despy looked teeny but I marked out. 

Y'all thought Jericho was gonna get shaved? Come on, his brutally-thinning long arrid hairdo is PERFECT for aging alcoholic rockers!

• Like 8