DVDVR Message Board

6/15/2022- AEW DYNAMITE!

DEAN

Missed the hair vs hair match because my fiancee's aunt is... let's say talkative.

Hated the actual Wardlow vs Wimpies match, stack up pins don't count as pins but it did was it was supposed to do so I appreciate that. I question putting Matt Hughes out there but he's a local celebrity so whatever.

Loved Dax vs Ospreay. Dax is so fucking good and Ospreay is a good opponent for people I like. I'm looking forward to him vs Orange Cassidy.

Mox's promo was good but then I didn't care for the rest of the segment. It sets up some interesting new matches but it just seemed sloppy.

Miro vs Page was the match I expected which was good. I kind of expected Bagface McSabian to do a run in after. He has the history with Miro and seemed more noticeable than usual.

I like Wangman. I like Switchblade. I like Okada. I want Cole nowhere near them. I understand he gets reactions but I don't care. Also didn't like the reveal of the "New Japan guy attacks from behind." since it was already done tonight. 

Enjoyed Toni vs Britt and I'm looking forward to the title match at Forbidden Door but man was Thunder Rosa's run in lame.

I didn't like the main but understand that it was a very good match of that genre and JE needed to lose the belts. The Christian heel turn was predictable but still good. Hopefully FTR get the belts off the Bucks soon. Bring on Christian vs Jungle Boy!

This show had it's up's and downs for me but I still really enjoyed it and they got me excited for Rampage and Forbidden Door. That is the purpose of a televised wrestling show. Well done AEW. 

• Like 4

That was a good episode of Dynamite tonight. I figured Jericho would cheat to win, but it didn't occur to me that was Sammy under the Feugo mask. When he took the mask off I was like "damn, he got me".

The Wardlow thing was dumb, but it served it's purpose. I knew who Matt Hughes was and why he was in such rough shape but I didn't know about all the other stuff.

Dax vs. Osprey might be a top 5 match of the year. Damn that was good.

Loved the post match attack and it all setting up the return of Orange Cassidy. Osprey vs. Orange is gonna be a hell of a match.

Mox vs. Tanahashi isn't the ideal match but it should be fun. I would love to see Tanahashi win just for the hell of it. But this was a nice set up for the Jericho run in and announcing his match for Forbidden Door. So we're gonna get Suzuki vs. Kingston at some point in that match. That's a win/win.

Toni vs Britt was a good match. Glad Toni won and I'm glad she's getting the next shot at Thunder Rosa. But I was hoping for someone from Stardom to face Rosa at the ppv.

The ladder match was insane. I think it's good that The Hardy's weren't involved because Jeff would have killed himself doing a table dive. Nice to see The Buck's as champions again and I knew Christian was turning on Jungle Boy at some point. It was a nice ending swerve.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, EVA said:

I’ll just note that Christian turned on Jungle Boy, not Luchasaurus. I wonder if they might put him as Christian’s heater. A change up might do him good.

Can he lay down a beat?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I feel like this review is going to either disappoint or surprise a lot of people:

The Jericho/Ortiz thing was fine. There was wayyy more JAS on this show than we probably needed. I do understand that there is a lot to set up for Forbidden Door, but sending Jericho back out didn't make a lot of sense to me. The Sammy Guevara reveal makes sense, since a) his TNT Title run was a disaster and he needs a reset and 2) With Wheeler Yuta being back, it makes the sides even again. You could do "the Biggest Blood and Guts match EVER!!!" and run six per side. 

I'll watch Wardlow beat up goofs for weeks. Next week let him get thirty. Then forty. Shit, let him go all the way to 100. Just stop letting him say so much. He needs a vet to come in and talk for him. 

I'd never seen Will Ospreay wrestle before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Despite looking like the third Paul brother, I was pleasantly surprised. Jon Moxley is my wrestler of the year. He's had nothing but bangers since he cleaned up. But Dax Harwood deserves some mention, too. He is having great bouts with all types of workers and really raising his profile as a singles wrestler.

Miro/Ethan Page was cool. They should do more with Ethan Page down the line. Either build a division around him in ROH or have him win the All Atlantic Title from whoever wins the four way somewhere down the line. Miro is all the goods. 

If you insist that Kyle O Reilly must speak on television, that's the way to do it. I'm not sure why we're all wanting Darby to break Bobby Fish's leg. He's so ridden with osteoporosis that it probably won't take much.

Moxley is, with the possible exception of Eddie Kingston, the best promo in wrestling right now. He's so, so good. JAS reappearing didn't make a ton of sense, and I wonder if some of the NJPW guys couldn't make it tonight so they had to audible.

Toni Storm is really, really good. I guess I hadn't noticed how fluid and polished she comes off before. I'm still a little surprised Britt did a clean job. That match with Rosa at Forbidden Door will fornicate. 

Adam Page was having a perfectly good promo until Adam Cole interrupted with his "eighth grader playing a grown up in the school play" voice. It was very funny to me that even Cole's best friend knows it's not a good idea to have him in a title match. I don't know much about Jay White, but I'll check that out.

Now to the part that I'm sure will surprise folks; I kinda liked that main event. I know, I know. Look, I wish it was any other team on the roster that had been picked to dethrone Jurassic Express, but I get it. It sets up FTR/YB 3 for like 3 different world tag team titles. That will rule. I was pleasantly surprised by how little of the Jacksons usual self-aggrandizing bullshit was in this match. They laid their shit in, sold, and cut down on the convoluted spots. I'm man enough to give credit where it's due; that was an entertaining tag match. What will be the test for me is if the Jacksons do business at All Out and drop those titles to FTR, or if they manage to politic their way into another interminable, endless, soul-sucking reign as tag champs. But for tonight, and maybe tonight only, the Jacksons are ok in my book.

The post match angle was perfect. I might've had Christian actually cost JE the match, but other than that it played exactly the way it needed to. Looking forward to seeing what's next.

Edited by just drew
  • Like 15

53 minutes ago, EVA said:

I kinda hate Sammy joining JAS. Rehashed Inner Circle vibes. Feels like it knocks Garcia down the pecking order, too. 

Agreed, but it could potentially lead to Garcia realizing his true place is with the Blackpool Combat Club

• Like 6

It’d be cool if Tay just gets to be the woman wrestler member of JAS like an Anna Jay or Bunny. I know they’re going to do the Edge and Lita stuff with her and Sammy, but she was doing pretty well before this and it’s going to suck if she’s just there so faces feuding with JAS can make nasty remarks to her. 

• Like 5

That was one of the best dynamites ever. And I was annoyed with how the hair match ended but they made it work in the end. And it was all way uphill from there that was awesome. Really heated up forbidden door as well. 

• Like 7

Great show with lots of action. Jericho/Ortiz was good stuff with a fun post-match chaos. Figured the Sammy reveal was obvious after he dressed as Serpentico the last time, but thought it was a great and smart reveal that made sense to put Sammy back with Jericho and Hager.  Wardlow bit was fun, enjoyed the Hughes/Woodley involvement. 

Ospreay/Dax was absolutely awesome. Hot crowd, awesome counters and sequences throughout. Loved this. Thought for sure they set up a 10 man after, wasn't expecting Orange/Ospreay. I guess there still could be a 10 man but I'll still hold out hope for FTR to get an IWGP tag title shot. Wasn't expecting the Moxley/Tanahashi segment chaos and turning into Jericho announcing a WAR trios tag for Forbidden Door. I'm down with that, but wanna see Archer on the card somewhere. Britt/Toni was pretty good, Toni's corner smash was properly brutal looking leading to the great injury fake out from Britt. Surprisingly short match for Britt taking a clean loss like that. Good build for Forbidden Door throughout. 

Amazing main event with lots of crazy table bumps. Sad to see Jungle/Luchasaurus reign come to an end, but it was an awesome reign with lots of excellent defenses while it lasted. Luchasaurus took that last tables bump like Taker against Edge in 2007. Figured the Bucks were winning as others said about the potential Bucks/FTR match for all the gold. Figured the Christian turn was inevitable, I'll miss babyface Christian but hopefully leads to great stuff between them. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Is JR the only one on the broadcast booth who *ever* calls him "Jungle Boy Jack" and would he stop calling him that at this point even if they asked him to?

I believe from the very beginning he didn’t like the name jungle boy and thought jack perry was the money name, and he didn’t even want to say jungle boy. So the compromise was he’d call him jungle boy jack. Lol. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nineteen said:

I popped for The People's Court music and I want an Judge Wapner is All Elite banner.

Fun fact: I share a birthday with Judge Wapner. And the Macho Man Randy Savage. That was one of my go-to pickup lines in high school.

It never worked. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

3 hours ago, elizium said:

Wasn't able to watch, any notable indie dudes in the Wardlow match? Please don't say Violence is Forever

I don't think they were in there.

FVVhqgMXsAEGKdZ?format=jpg&name=small

from what I've seen identified: J Fowler, Mike Outlaw, SK Bishop, Luke Langley, Campbell Myers, Rahim Suede, Camaro Jackson, Kenny Alfonso, ATM, Dan the Dad, Merc, Anaya, Niles Plonk, Marcus Muncherson, Jay Marston, & Bill Bain.

SK Bishop, Camaro Jackson, Dan the Dad, & Anaya all worked Elevation this past week. 

Davey Vega (who worked Rampage last week) worked Dark Elevation tonight and then also played the Barber appearing briefly in the Ortiz/Jericho match.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, DEAN said:

Getting this back to what this thread is REALLY about.

I've got VIP tix for their match on Saturday!

4 hours ago, Dog said:

I totally bit on the Britt concussion fake-out.

As did I. I then popped when she tried the cradle.

• Like 4

My god Dax and Will was a vintage TV match. Absolutely flawless execution, heat and back and forth. Dax continually gets his deserved respect, but people are still seriously going to tell me Ospreay isn’t as good as there is? Please.

• Like 7

As a big early UFC fan, I was a huge Matt Hughes guy.  Not sure I have ever seen him since the train crash, much less seen him in more than a quick cameo.  Wow - that was hard to see. The train crash and subsequent brain issues have really changed him for the worse. 

• Like 1

After a rough Dynamite last week (decent wrestling but depressing booking choices), we're back with a damn fine show!

Damn, Ortiz, never use bare clippers with no guard on long, sweaty hair.  Jesus.  

For a little while there, I thought Kip Sabian might be taking off the cardboard box and doing a run-in to join the JAS.  Then they ended up doing a similar deal, but with Sammy.  I kind of made no sense, though.  Like if Fuego had come out with Ortiz, that would work.  But as it was executed, it was just to swerve the fans, which was dumb.

I'm sad Jericho didn't get to join Rob Halford, Scott Ian, the guy from Disturbed, and the guy from Live (is Live still around?) on the list of bald rock stars.

BLOOD AND GUTS BLOOD AND GUTS BLOOD AND GUTS.  Fuck yes.

I had a legit full on belly laugh when Dasha announced "This case is closed!"  The People's Court package was aces as well.  So fucking good.

I find Ethan Page incredibly boring.  He has size (and JR won't shut up about that) but nothing else.  Much like MJF's gimmick is "heel wrestler good talker," Page's gimmick is "has charisma."  Just keep saying it until people believe it.  Meh.

Dax vs Ospreay was amazing.  WWE in the 90s = run-in with glass breaking and heavy guitars.  AEW in 2022 = walk-in with the Pixies.  I love how alliances are fluid and make sense here, with FTR joining up with Best Friends.  But where is Chuck?

Dax has more hair on his thighs than on his head and it's disturbing.

Dante Martin and Matt Sydal do all they can to get a new nickname over!  

Tony Storm needs to abandon the spray tan OR put spray tan on her face, too.  Her brown body and white face is disconcerting.  But anyway it's so cool that she got to beat Baker straight up and is moving on to Rosa.  And damn, after that running ass looked horrifying in so many matches, they got me on that fake injury.

Willow Nightingale is a fucking STAR.  SO much charisma.  Please sign her right now.

Breathe with Switchblade!  Switchblade era!  Jay white is a catchphrase spouting branding machine and that's not so great.  The switcheroo with him being all "yeah, NAH" on Cole is wonderful.

Jim Ross references a Dodge Ram commercial from 30 years ago and a Roy Rogers lunchbox and everyone under 60 watching this is confused.

God DAMN that main event was awesome.  Were those tables pre-scored?  Those things exploded on some simple stuff, like Matt over rotating on a rana, missing the back bump, and putting his butt through the table instead.  You know I'm here too much when I'm concerned for @just drew when the Bucks won.  Chrstian!  Christian!  At last you are on your own!

For a very brief, split second of absolute joy, I thought Desperado was Super Dragon.

Jericho's crew jumping Mox and Tanahashi just to announce a totally different match sure was weird.

Excalibur does the Lord's work trying desperately to explain the difference between New Japan and IWGP after Tony, every single time, uses "IWGP" like it's the name of the promotion.

AEW's ring posts are square because AEW never cuts corners.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 7