DVDVR Message Board

How do I post pics?

sabremike

Two options: 

1) You can use that attachments button (the paper clip at the bottom of the box you reply in.) OR

2) If it's already hosted somewhere, copy and paste the URL in plain text and the board should automatically embed it.  (It must be in a supported format (so no mp4 or gifv.)

55 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Two options: 

1) You can use that attachments button (the paper clip at the bottom of the box you reply in.) OR

2) If it's already hosted somewhere, copy and paste the URL in plain text and the board should automatically embed it.  (It must be in a supported format (so no mp4 or gifv.)

I am using an android phone and do not see the paper clip (which is how I do that on other boards), just says insert image from url. Do I have to change my settings (apologies for all the questions as I'm 44 and struggle with tech)?

• Like 1

The paper clip should be on the bottom of the post box to the left of "Add Files" and "Other Media"

Granted I am looking at that via my iPhone but it should be the same for Android

I'm also on Android, I just hit "Add Files" and it allows me to attach a pic from my phone. Maybe it's a theme issue? I've never tried it before so uh testing it now. So it shows up at the bottom, then I get an option to "insert" the image and it gets placed into my post.

Screenshot_20220613-105951.thumb.png.abb8a11a04e6d567091f9c7c94b3235a.png

I'm on FireFox, the Navy Nights theme, and there's no paperclip.

When I try to copy and paste an image, I get a message "You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert from URL", but again, no upload option.

• Like 2

I tried it on PC and phone using Edge, Chrome and Firefox.  But even under default theme only option I see is to insert from URL.  I thought that's how it's always been so it didn't bother me.  But it would be great if there was a direct upload option.

• Like 2

The reason is - and my old age forgot this - is that members can't upload/use the attach feature. Only mods and admins can

This is mainly due to limit board size and due to some other factors (which you can probably figure out on your own)

It is why myself, Dolfan and Kevin (as mod) could do it

We are working on trying to decide on a happy medium that wont nuke the board

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The reason is - and my old age forgot this - is that members can't upload/use the attach feature. Only mods and admins can

This is mainly due to limit board size and due to some other factors (which you can probably figure out on your own)

That's cool because I wanted to upload a photo or two from when I was at the AEW show in March, but couldn't make the board link to my Flickr.

4 minutes ago, JLowe said:

That's cool because I wanted to upload a photo or two from when I was at the AEW show in March, but couldn't make the board link to my Flickr.

That's weird because I used Flickr when doing the movie poll results and those images all still work

requiem-for-a-dream-poster

See I just grabbed that, hit share and pasted the link it gave me

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Now I will say that since the image is huge - FOR THE LOVE GOD - make sure to use the spoiler box if you decide to post them on the board

Yeah. sorry about that, will do! I'll also try and size them down for any future posting!

23 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Sometimes I forget I am special. I also never use it (aside from the test above), I always just upload stuff to imgur and paste the link in the post. Trying to save DEAN on some server costs.

Kind of related but is there way to get pictures from Facebook to show up?  When people post stuff from there I always get a link that starts with "May be an image of..." and it leads to nothing.  I think I it working one time in the past but I had to disable all privacy/security features which is a big no-no for me.  I also tried every browser I have using default skin but it doesn't work for me.  If it was up to me I'd ask people to not post stuff from there anymore but that aside it would be nice to see what's going on.  And this is all on PC so unsure if viewing on my cell makes a difference.

5 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Kind of related but is there way to get pictures from Facebook to show up? 

No - the designers of the board eliminated that feature awhile ago. Something changed on the Facebook side and the auto embed stop working. Invision claimed that they would eventually add a fix in an update but that was over a year ago and not a peep.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Really wish there was a way to embed photos from your device.  I don’t use photo sharing sites aside from backing up files to the icloud.  I find going to a sharing site so I can cut and paste the link kind of a hassle.  Not to mention that I often hit errors when I try to embed the link on the board.  Having the same frustration when I try to embed tweets.  More often than not, it’s just not worth the hassle.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

5 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Really wish there was a way to embed photos from your device.  I don’t use photo sharing sites aside from backing up files to the icloud.  I find going to a sharing site so I can cut and paste the link kind of a hassle.  Not to mention that I often hit errors when I try to embed the link on the board.  Having the same frustration when I try to embed tweets.  More often than not, it’s just not worth the hassle.

I can't speak for why tweets have been problematic lately for some, that should work, but I can understand the reason behind the images. If everyone started uploading images from their device it would strain the server, and its harder to "police" without a mod running around and removing people's 10 MB 4200x2800 pictures. Especially in the pictures thread. Its less of an issue in 2022 when everyone has high speed Internet and DVRVR doesn't get the traffic it did in its heyday, but it still would really bog down page load times if pictures came from the server itself instead of an outside source, since this way the outside source takes the load. So I don't see that setting every changing, it would cause more harm than good.

If an admin (not me, I'm just a lowly mod) figures out a way to limit frequency and size it may be possible but not sure where that is on the improvements agenda ?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

If an admin (not me, I'm just a lowly mod) figures out a way to limit frequency and size it may be possible but not sure where that is on the improvements agenda ?

Still hoping for flood control some day. ?

On 8/18/2022 at 3:54 PM, Kevin Wilson said:

I can't speak for why tweets have been problematic lately for some, that should work, but I can understand the reason behind the images. If everyone started uploading images from their device it would strain the server, and its harder to "police" without a mod running around and removing people's 10 MB 4200x2800 pictures. Especially in the pictures thread. Its less of an issue in 2022 when everyone has high speed Internet and DVRVR doesn't get the traffic it did in its heyday, but it still would really bog down page load times if pictures came from the server itself instead of an outside source, since this way the outside source takes the load. So I don't see that setting every changing, it would cause more harm than good.

Makes some sense, but most boards i traffic - admittedly, a very small sample size - let you upload from your device in some fashion and DVD used to.  It’s not a big issue to me, but I think I’m past my tipping point where it’s worth it trying to post.  The site is just too user-unfriendly.  It’s become a frustration.  I was going to throw up a funny pic from my drive to work this morning, but it’s not really worth the time it would take to upload the photo to a pic sharing site just so I can cut and paste the link.  It’s definitely not worth the time when you consider that, depending on the web browser, I might get an error message or the box to post the link might just just never appear (I often get the never-ending pinwheel when I try that).

Add to that the more-frequent-than-not errors when I try to embed tweets, the frequent inability to navigate from page 26 to page 25 without loading the thread, and various other issues, and I’m wondering why I bother to post.  Especially since the mods seem ok with letting people drag me for not being extremely liberal (my impression is I don’t get the same latitude).

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti