DVDVR Message Board

6/10/2022!- AEW RAMPAGE!

DEAN

10 hours ago, The Natural said:

When did they rename the Big Bang Theory to the Friday Night Fever? I'm assuming this is part of her transition, but I wouldn't have minded if they kept the name as a nod to her old gimmick ala The Pedigree with Greenwhich snob Hunter Hearst Helmsley.

18 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

This is Hager's first singles match since the cage fight vs Wardlow almost exactly a year ago. Not that anyone's clamoring for more. Keeping Hager hidden in multiman matches and occasionally using him as a "big" win for someone is probably the best way to book him.

He did nothing for me and there are a dozen big men in AEW who are more talented. That said, the match was a decent brawl.

• Like 2

SATURDAY REFLECTIONS:  INTERNATIONAL FEED, DADDY!  YOU JERKS CAN SUFFER THROUGH PICTURE IN PICTURE!  Jake Hagar has JAS biking paunts on!  This match is all about the Kingston selling.  Taz during the Picture in Picture for you plebians declares "5 on 2!" when Eddie grasps Hagar's testicular region.  So the point of this match is to get Hagar over as the Power Guy of JAS- so Kingston sells his power offense like Hagar would be grouped with Powerhouse Hobbs, Wardlow and Keith Lee.  Kingston sells like Hagar is the Most Successful Version of Nick Comoroto,  Hagar is Comoroto with submission game.  Excalibur gets over the Urican postmatch.  Britt Baker getting pissed off at Toni Storm for touching the AEW Women's STRAP! is good SUBTERFUGE of the AEW Originals versus New X-WWE wrestlers.  Is Baker and Thunder Rosa going to tag against Storm and Soho? Is Skye Blue going to attack Athena?  Matt Fitchett and Something Vega have matching belts.  I guess they are a tagteam on the indies or is the Big White Belts a new trend in wrestlewear?  Statlander has fringe on her jacket.  She should get fringe on her boots.  She is TOTALLY the Miracle Violence Connection embodied in ONE.  Red Velvet gets in a lot more offense if ONE can FOREGO the laughable picture in picture- she PROCURES a Full Nelson!  Jade Cargill is so awesome ringside being annoyed that Kris Statlander isn't pinned yet.  That section makes Statlander's comeback look like AN ACTUAL COMEBACK.  This becomes a more traditional match- as Red Velvet cuts her off as Statlander's offense just overwhelms the heel of the PIECE.   But she does keep cutting her off- as Red Velvet pulls off being a good ass stomping heel for such a little gal.  Kiera Hogan's pants remind me that I oh so very old.  I love how the Baddies get their heat back after losing matches.  Awwwww, poor Ethan Page.... he's so nice on the internet.  Miro is going to fucking kill him.  Aw man, Miro is going to beat Tay Conti's dad's ass.  I love how Will Ospreay is the New Adam Cole on the board- except Ospreay has a world class offense and is actually annoying on the internet, as opposed to impossibly nice.  What accent does Ospreay have?  He doesn;t sound all cultured and classy like Lord Regal.  Dax vs Ospreay would be prolly as good as Ospreay/Moxley.  Dax would wrestle more to Ospreay's style, so who knows if it would be as good. Wheeler vs Kyle Fletcher was a harbinger of things to come- as both are the secret great workers on their teams.  Trent Barretta is your secret superworker and really should ditch the Best Friends and just hang out with FTR.  Ospreay is OVER in Kansas City.  JUST LIKE ADAM COLE- FUTURE INTERIM WORLD CHAMPION!  Fletcher has been wrestling since he was 15?  Jesus, he and Toni Storm.  I guess you gotta do something to kill time as a teen in Australia.  Mark Davis is the Superstar of this match- assuming the Terry Gordy role of the United Empire Free Birds.  United Empire are fucking KINGS at taking Dax' whirlwind of offense.  UE are fucking awesome as they go back on offense.  Ospreay is good with his Facials Of Unbelievability.  Trent hits a sweet backdrop driver and Lariat that ONE can overlook with so much other stuff happening in this match.  Aussie Open are like the Young Bucks in that they cram a LOT of stuff into their matches.  That match was fucking great.  Will Ospreay and Aussie Open should hang out in AEW for a while.

• Like 6

Main event was great, I expected Trent to be in there to eat the pin so was pleasantly shocked when he got the win! I think they’re building to someone like a 10-man or even 12-man at Forbidden Door with UE vs. FTR, Roppongi Vice, and...is Orange Cassidy healed? Maybe some Chaos guys?
also when did FTR lose the AAA belts?

I think Stat-Velvet was my match of the night. When it started, I was actually fine with Stat squashing, then it turned into a fire competitive match with Stat wrestling like a giant. She needs a singles belt. Anna Jay doing a run-in against 2 baddies and putting on the Queenslayer...bless her heart. I hate that move, it doesn’t look like a convincing submission anyway and then to use that on a run-in. Someone help her develop some kind of big strike or kick.

Singh hitting 3 big moves while squashing local enhancement is a good use for him right now.

I enjoyed the opener, I do agree that maybe Eddie is a little too giving. I already shared my opinion on Hager, but he ate a clean pin so that was good.

The Hookhausen segment was good stuff. I need Hook’s ride for my work, although I’d want the cab enclosed with heat and AC. Those things get hot riding around Texas scrub country in 100 degree heat.

• Like 4

Always loved Red Velvet so glad to see the Baddies refresh getting some love. Great match with Stat. I remember seeing Stat live at a Shimmer show and being super into her. The last time a wrestler had impressed me that soon so fast was Madison Eagles. So I know the best is yet to come from young Kris. 

• Like 3

Thought this was a fine episode. Main event was my favorite match but, like I said on another board, I wish that they would’ve taken the time to give an explanation or something about the United Empire group is, especially for those who don’t watch New Japan (you know, like me). Like, I know that it’s Ospreay’s group but beyond that I know nothing about it. 

Side note: Kinda hoping to see Aussie Open in a straight up tag match, possibly against FTR for the ROH Tag Titles. Maybe at Forbidden Door? Or perhaps at the ROH PPV in July (if that’s even happening).

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

Ospreay's prematch promo sounded like someone trying to do an impersonation of David Bowie with a mouth completely stuffed full of teabags

Well said. And well loved on my end. Ospreay is a gifted aerialist whom I tend to appreciate less and less when he's doing moves on display over and over in New Japan rings. This promo and everything he did in this match have me believing he'll be a far more well rounded and entertaining wrestler post-New Japan. Or during his AEW stay(s).

• Like 1

That feels like the best possible Jake Hager match.

Strat looked like a star, Red Velvet looked occasionally awkward, I like her but I kinda think of the ole dustyism "Don't do shit you don't know how to do"

The Bootyman is gonna come after Keira for gimmick infringement with those pants 

Good use of the Giant. maybe TK knows how to keep him somewhat protected. Also SATNAM looked much more mobile than Giant Gonzales or Khali, damning with faint praise I know but work with what you have

• Like 3

That Statlander-Velvet was the definition of a banger, perfect length excellent stuff.

I hope Jade gets done with Athena soon so that Statlander can rightfully take the title, she’s been my favourite woman in AEW since day 1.

Big props to Velvet too who was extremely cringey when she first came in but has really turned it around with her heel turn.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 3

Been saying this a while now, Red Velvet is criminally underrated. She's been at her best vs. the hosses of the division, she bounces around like a pinball and when she's on offense she is doing the believable and smart thing, going after the legs or knees, cutting them down. 

She has probably one of Jade's best matches and a really good match now with Statlander. 

Kris Statlander just gets better and better, she's a star or on her way. 

The Baddies is the best act in all of wrestling, they have the potential to be crossover stars. Jade is an undefeated machine but Red Velvet and Kiera Hogan need some wins themselves too. Kiera Hogan is the only Hogan I wanna discuss. 

• Like 6

Jade/Red reminds me of Cornette's  take on SID vs Arn Anderson. SID is an attraction , although I think Jade has a much higher ceiling than SID but Red is like Arn in maybe she isn't your biggest star but she's some you can build around and canbe a cornerstone for years to come,

• Like 3

Just a couple notes since I just got around to watching this.

That's what O'spreay sounds like? His accent was extra thicc to the point I thought he was working some new character lol. He also did not look very good. I didn't watch his NJPW main event run, last I really saw of him was the Ricochet stuff. And I did enjoy that stuff a lot. But this match didn't even seem like the same performer. On the whole tho that main event was pretty solid. Mustache dude in OE looked the best. Young looking guy & O'spreay didn't really mesh well with FTR. Also WHY OH WHY did they let him wear out The Rev Pro Title? TOO. MANY. BELTS. Ugh.

Stalander vs Velvet was Velvet's best match. But I wish they dialed down the kickouts in this one. Stat hit that dope roll though German into the Low Ki deal and the crowd was HOT. They wanted that to be the end. But Velvet kicked out. Then Velvet got some falseys in. They went past the peak and ended on the downward slope. Would have been better to hit The Big Bang Theory (fuck that shitty new name BTW) after the roll through German and end it there.

That said, this angle is def working. Athena is over. Statlander is over. Jade is over. The whole baddies thing is over. The TBS Title story is reallllyyyyy eclipsing the women's world title by quite a bit right now.

Also also, I'm low key annoyed Statlander isn't an alien anymore. I think that added more to her than being generic power lady. But I may be in the minority there. Regardless, she's the woman on the roster I most enjoy watching.

• Like 3

I agree with @NoFistsJustFlipsthat there were a few too many near fall kick outs in Stat-Red, in particular the one mentioned following the pendulum German and followup move. That was a killer combo that should not be kicked out of, finisher be damned.

what could be interesting for Stat would be to do a promo or interview where she leans into being the biggest, strongest woman in the division. Just says “I realized one day that I’m bigger than all the other women in AEW, I’m stronger than all the other women in AEW, and now it’s time to use that to prove I’m BETTER than all the other women in AEW”

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Find someone who loves you as Konosuke Takeshita does Cinnabon!

As in: A temporary out of control infatuation that they eventually get sick of, which is fun while it lasts and hopefully does no permanent, irreversible harm? 

OK. Can do.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

Statlander vs. Red Velvet was fucking fire. Statlander dropping the stupid alien gimmick is the right call. She came off as a STAR on Rampage. And so did Velvet and The Baddies. The main event women's division stuff has been kinda boring while Jade, the Baddies, Stokely, and Statlander are stealing the show.

• Like 4

Great show!

Rampage will always have the uphill climb of coping with being a “B show”. So many years of WWE treatment has us all kinda trained to expect to expect nothing if the Main Show has anything else tacked on it.  

Rampage at the very least has escaped being painted as a throwaway Velocity or 205 Live.  Bad schedules aside.

Every match hit the the sweet spot in a very compact hour.

I even dug the good work done in getting Santam Singh on tv.  Plus the trios act overall had a very good presentation.  Pretty sure Big Show was the agent for this one.  

Count me in on the elevation in opinion of both Statlander and Red Velvet.  Statlander seems to train for the sake of power and strength.  Velvet smaller stature and ability to rag doll really complimented Kris to put that all in focus.  That snap zoom on Jade had to have been edited in but was really good.  I like The Baddies as an act.

The Main Event was a blast.  I hadn’t seen Osprey since before he left CHAOS.  Additionally, I’ve seen very little NJPW over the last couple of years.  So Aussie Open was new to me.  Kind of surprised it’s not a Golfing gimmick.  Glad it’s not.  They impressed me.  It was like somebody posted earlier that it was a real treat to discover them.  

Good times.  Great memories.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Gordlow said:

As in: A temporary out of control infatuation that they eventually get sick of, which is fun while it lasts and hopefully does no permanent, irreversible harm? 

OK. Can do.

Just wait til someone introduces him to White Castle. It'll all be over then. 

• Haha 2