DVDVR Message Board

6/10/2022!- AEW RAMPAGE!

DEAN

Jake Hagar is secretly great.  He brings some hurty looking offense for our imperiled face to go through.  He also has the largest teeth in all of pro wrestling.  Jake Hagar is the Freddie Mercury of AEW- teeth-wise.  This is an old school match.  Hagar beats on Eddie Kingston, the crowd gets behind Kingston, Kingston fires back, Hagar cuts him off.  Eddie Kingston IS Tracy Smothers.  Kingston then goes all Kings Road with chops and the Kobashi chop to the side of the head.  Hagar cuts off Kingston with a Released German Suplex Variation. Kingston keeps going for the Exploider but Hagar keeps countering out of it.  Hagar counters Kingston's chops with punches!  Jake Hagar IS Dick Murdoch.  THIRD Exploider attempt.  And he hits it!  And then a Backdrop Driver for two.  Kingston tries a Urican but Hagar counters away from it.  Eddie counters a corner ten count punch with a Powerbomb and then hits TWO Uricans for the win.  Jake Hagar is fucking awesome.  Eddie Kingston is TOTALLY FUCKING AWESOME.  Satnam Singh!  Jay Lethal is in this match for some reason.  Impressive cross body!  Satnam does the Sycho Sid Spinning Powerbomb!  They should get some other 7 foot tall Dallas Maverick and redo the Skyscrapers!  Red Velvet!  Versus the Big Head Girl From Outer Space!  JESUS!  Let's hear it for Red Velvet for taking that Powerslam onto the floor.  Kris Statlander IS Big Van Vader.  Velvet has Kiera Hogan hair.  Actually, current Statlander reminds me of that two month period when Cornette was managing Davey Boy Smith and it looked like they were going to put THE STRAP on him.  She's looking inevitable.  GREAT Triple Rotation OHTANI Rotation Pwerbomb by Stat.  Great Roll through to a German and a Fisherman Buster INVERTED POWERBOMB!  Red Velvet, who I THINK is having the best match I've seen her in, gets in a flurry of offense before getting slaughtered by Stat's finisher.  After the match, THE BADDIES ATTACK!  Anna Jay gets beaten down!  ATHENA RUNS TO THE RING BUT A CLOT OF REFEREES CATCH HER IN MIDAIR!  YAAAY! THE BADDIES RULE!  Red Velvet looked great selling the ass beating from Statlander.  Statlander needs to take the belt off Thunder Rosa and wrestle Toni Storm.  Ethan Page is great trying to convince himself that he isn't going to get the fuck beaten out of him by Miro.  Will Os[reay DOES have hilarious hair but I dig his coat.  FTR! FTR! FTR!  Ooooh man,  FTR vs AUSSIE OPEN are sooo going to be a good enough reason to get the PPV.  They appease Cornette by doing a really cool lock up.  Ooooh Man,  Aussie Open are sooo fucking awesome.  I await tomorrow's Internation Feed to see all the cool shit they did in Picture in Picture.  Dax makes the hot tag and is a one man WRECKING CREW.  Then a ZILLION THINGS HAPPEN and it is AWESOME.  TRENT GETS THE PIN!  That was a surprising finish. Aussie Open are fucking AWESOME.  FTR are fucking AWESOME.  AEW RULES THE FUCKING MOTHERFUCKING WORLD.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Kingston is so good at fighting back from underneath. His sympathy selling is as good as it gets. I had some issues with my stream at the end of the match, but from what I saw Hager did a great job as the monster heel that King had to -literally- fight back from his knees to overcome.

I agree with Taz(z). Dutt's suit was indeed snazzy!

Hosslander and Velvet are developing some really good ring chemistry, and Velvet is on her way to being a darned good pro wrestler. Some of Highlander's strength spots were really impressive!

It was cool seeing the lion mark symbol lit up between the AEW entrance tunnels. I loved how that match built and built without ever getting too flashy. I felt like Ospreay showed admirable restraint and gave his partners plenty of room to shine. 

FTR leaning in for the hot tag was such a classic pro wrestling visual. Maybe the highlight of the show for me.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hager reminds me of the Bukowski documentary where his former co-worker at the post office described him as "a big galoot". He just has these long, hanging, dumb looking arms and an angry yet vacant face that makes him look like a gorilla. Given that you can't wait to see someone wail on him, Eddie does but not enough. Eddie, it feels sometimes, is almost selling too much, and that's hard to say about any wrestler. It was an odd match with an abbreviated ending, had the right person go over but it didn't feel like what it should have been -- Vader vs. Cactus is what I think they were going for. And Eddie is definitely the Mick Foley of this promotion, in more ways than one. 

Highlander vs. Red Velvet was better. They had wonderful chemistry with Velvet as sly heel vs. Kris as a beast. I can't say enough good things about her and she needs a strap right away -- the little girl at ringside with her facepaint on is gonna be a wrestler in the next decade, promise that. Velvet definitely stepped the fuck up in this one too, with a super long heat segment that of course was buried in the PnP. Also -- good lord, what was Hogan wearing?! And you thought Wednesday was an ass overdose?

I think it was Orihara and someone else that was once referred to as a tag team by Pete or Ray or somebody as BAD HAIR DAY. Well, Ozzie Open or whatever are now officially BAD HAIR DAY V.2. The tall one looks like Jason Patric in Narc and the other one looks like a squatter in a Bristol punk flat. And Ospreay, I don't know WHAT the fuck that is but he needs to shave all of it off, head and face. Dax went John Silver on everybody and it was a fun match, with again a proper, devastating finish. 

And Danhausen's teeth could only afford a used golf cart! Perfect! 

• Like 9

Was that Hager's best singles match in AEW? He's an ape awkward man and it worked perfectly here, not to mention Kingston's chop fest and neck chop, real cool shit. Satnam looked stellar out there for a debut of a giant, he was agile, he did cool moves and even took to the air. He's gold, he's better than gold, he's platinum. Statlander/Velvet was the match of the night with flying colors, in awe of how far they both have come. Glad Miro's back, loved the ending line of flawless. He's really the complete package now. Aussie Open were great, FTR were great, Trent was awesome. Ospreay was there. Right team won.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Peck said:

I used to think Jordan Oliver easily had the most-punchable face in professional wrestling. But the more I see of Will Ospreay.....

At least Oliver knew his face was punchable and has is capable of not being a dork.

• Like 1

That was as good as any Rampage I can remember. Everything was terrific here. Dutt/Lethal/Singh have absolutely got IT! Kingston he has IT. Hager "secretly" has it. The Baddies, they've got it too! Red is challenging the Asses for best face to heel refresh. Statlander seems to have fully moved passed the awkward pubic phase of the gimmick change (see when Excalibur has to explain the minimal developments, but doesn't actually explain anything) into Miracle Violence Mode. Like they say 'give her a belt'. The Main was fantastic. I'm now convinved Will Ospreay needs to work in the US. He's got too much great character work to do to be saddled with lengthy repetitive get-all-yr-spots-in Stale Japan Pro Wrestling. FTR! FTR! FTR! Nice showing by the big Aussie Boys. And even nicer win for the Baretta.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rampage is easily the most solid and entertaining hour of pro wrestling on free TV and would thrive with a better air time. SO much good shit packed into 60 minutes. Kingston rules. Statlander rules. FTR rule. Aussie Open impressed. Everybody else also rocked. 

Is Trent's finisher the most protected in the company? 

• Like 6

That was a fantastic hour of our great sport.

Eddie Kingston is #1. 

Jamie Hayter didn't do the DMD sign, so that means Britt's gettin' brainbustered into the necrosphere. 

Statlander looked like a million goddamn dollars. 

Uncle Dax rules. So does Cash. That's how you work the apron, folks. 

...it's also why Will Ospreay can grab his jacket and fuck off back to Zoobilee Zoo. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

?.

I really miss Bayley.

It actually annoys me that UE lost tonight because 50/50 booking says that they will get the win back at the PPV and I'd rather they all get their asses beat by Team AEW on the grand stage where it counts.

Aussie Open needs to challenge for the RoH tag belts on one of the AEW Dark shows next week.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5

I watched it from my phone in my hotel room and I’m looking forward to watching it all later. Everything looked awesome. Especially Kris.

Come on Tony. Fuck this shit with immediately elevating NXTWWE women to title shots. Kris Statlander as unified World/TBS champion or get the fuck out.

• Like 3