DVDVR Message Board

6/8/2022!- AEW DYNAMITE!

DEAN

I can remember joking around on these boards when AEW was first starting up that they should be the All Tournaments All The Time promotion.

I don't think the deal is that Tony Khan still lurks here or that he has someone mining this board for ideas. I think it is that he thinks about and enjoys pro wrestling in the same way we do. That is what I think the deal is. 

I love moving straight from the Owen into the All Atlantic Tournament.

Also, I don't want to be a pedantic nit-picker

Spoiler

that is obviously not the case. I am clearly being a pedantic nit-picker.

But in my opinion The Orient and New Zealand are not on the Atlantic.

I wonder who the Oriental participants will be! Bad Luck Fale and Yoshi-Hashi, maybe?

There was too much really good pro wrestling today. I feel overstuffed now. All you can eat nachos, wings,and garlic shrimp. I'm not complaining. I am delirious.

And so much potentially GREAT wrestling coming up, as well. FTR and Trent vs United Empire?!?!  Good heavens! 

I think I enjoyed Hangman vs Finlay the most out of all the very good matches today. Like Dean pointed out, it's the lock-ups.

Shafir never looks awkward on the YouTube shows. People who don't watch Dark probably don't appreciate her the way she deserves.

PAC vs Buddy was a whole lot of muscle action.

Mox vs Kyle was intense.

Tana vs Goto is also a foregone conclusion but will likely also be very good. I am stoked for Mox vs Tana and happy that it will not be a foregone conclusion.

There was a huge chunk of time, maybe six years or so, from when Osaka Pro basically closed down to when AEW started up, when the lion's share of my pro wrestling watching was interesting old matches. And that was FUN. But having new pro wrestling to look forward to every week is even better. Genuinely adds something to my quality of life. I'm just a little bit stoked up all the time now.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Watched the first half and flipped through second since I'll watch in full tomorrow (maybe via magical international feed that I might have been clued into?)  Battle royal was fun with a relatively out-of-nowhere winner to lose to Mox.  Nice.  Seeing the All-Atlantic title has me as confused as seeing gameplay for the new Sonic game (seriously, did we really need a "Breadth of the Wild" style game for fucking SONIC?!)  If it was named something else geographically and given the "representing *insert country here*! vibe then I could maybe buy into that.  But I'm hoping their explanation on the "Road To" show helps make sense of this.  I will say though that the bracket would have been much better for the Owen Hart tournament as it would have been built a different way than what we got.

But the biggest complaint I'll have about AEW is the fact that fucking Ospreay is on their TV.  I get it, time's changed and who the fuck knows anymore about whatever he was part of.  But while it doesn't approach the level of disdain some have for the likes of Cole I just don't want to see Will ever again.  I used to be a lot more negative about the idea of this but now I'm just hoping it's a one-off.

Yeah, a fair bit of negative here but I honestly liked what I watched/flipped through.  I guess I care too much about the company for them to have dumb shit like this happen.  But hey, I'm just hoping @Shartnadoloved the Pac/Buddy match.  They might not have gotten out of second gear but that was a damn good match.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, elizium said:

He didn't go back into the ring before doing the coffin drop. He went out under the top rope, then climbed on the apron and up to the top, but didn't step back in the ring.

He came off the top rope. That counts as going over the top. You're coming off the top. Off the top = over the top regardless of how you get there. You've cleared the threshold of the top rope and landed on the ground. You're out.

It isn't the NFL where if you go out of bounds you have to re-establish two feet in bounds before anything you do counts.

FUxrBwgWAAAAAv5?format=jpg&name=large

Jeff Hardy is falling apart yet you guys decide to put him in a ladder match? Matt Hardy also. Jurassic Express should have dropped the AEW World Tag Team Championship by now but the Young Bucks and the Hardys aren't the teams to do it to.

• Like 3

I don't know. Maybe I'm overly emphasizing the booking vs the match quality but I just don't want to see KOR do much outside of ReDragon where he has the actually-much-better-overall-but-admittedly-less-spectacular Bobby Fish to rein him in. He was a very uninteresting opponent for Moxley in that he had no chance of going over but also isn't a young pup who could have used the rub of losing to Moxley. Hey this is exactly why he should have never been anywhere near the Owen semifinals either. Or anywhere near beating Darby. 

Also New Japan is so much easier to avoid than AEW in terms of keeping Will Ospreay off my TV. Hopefully he's gone after Forbidden Door but the rest of the NJPW guys keep making appearances. 

Battle royal was weird in that besides Wardlow and MJF not being in it there was also no Hangman, Cole, Danielson, Jericho, Jurassic Express, Christian, FTR...it's over the top rope eliminations, are we really this worried about damaging guys buy not having them win? Also Wardlow basically acknowledging the interim title is a scrub title and that Sammy and Scorpio have fucked up the TNT title were born questionable moves, even if totally defensible opinions outside of, y'know, kayfabe. That said, I know "less belts" is usually the rule but I'm weirdly excited for the All Atlantic title, even if it feels like it will initially be a thing they're implementing so that Death Triangle and House of Black have something to fight over as they continue to endlessly feud with one another. But they have SO MUCH TALENT on the roster, and the WCW TV title was a well-utilized third-tier singles title for much of its existence, so there's a good example to follow.

Putting Hangman and Finlay in there together was a good case study in "has the influence of post-Okada/Omega NJPW style wrestling run its course? We've booked a match between these two men who look, dress, and wrestle very much alike one another in order to see if this type of thing is still interesting". 

On less whiny notes I thought the PAC/Buddy and Rosa/Shafir were both awesome, and the Bucks/Hardyz/JE+Christian promo was a hoot. I'm worried about what Jeff Hardy is gonna do in that match next week but I'm betting it'll be something to see. 

Normally I Iove Dynamite even on an off night but I was a big thumbs down on this show. 

• Like 2

I feel bad for complaining so much so stuff I liked:

Thunder Rosa zooming around during her match

Eddie Kingston saying Eddie Kingston things

Swerve being a jerk and understanding battle royals

That main

The Baddies segment. Stokely was much more comfortable on the mic this time and Jade always rules

Cole was actually really good on commentary

The black trunk muscle freak match

The belt really does look nice and I like the name All Atlantic, it's very Western States Heritage

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Watched the first half and flipped through second since I'll watch in full tomorrow (maybe via magical international feed that I might have been clued into?)  Battle royal was fun with a relatively out-of-nowhere winner to lose to Mox.  Nice.  Seeing the All-Atlantic title has me as confused as seeing gameplay for the new Sonic game (seriously, did we really need a "Breadth of the Wild" style game for fucking SONIC?!)  If it was named something else geographically and given the "representing *insert country here*! vibe then I could maybe buy into that.  But I'm hoping their explanation on the "Road To" show helps make sense of this.  I will say though that the bracket would have been much better for the Owen Hart tournament as it would have been built a different way than what we got.

But the biggest complaint I'll have about AEW is the fact that fucking Ospreay is on their TV.  I get it, time's changed and who the fuck knows anymore about whatever he was part of.  But while it doesn't approach the level of disdain some have for the likes of Cole I just don't want to see Will ever again.  I used to be a lot more negative about the idea of this but now I'm just hoping it's a one-off.

Yeah, a fair bit of negative here but I honestly liked what I watched/flipped through.  I guess I care too much about the company for them to have dumb shit like this happen.  But hey, I'm just hoping @Shartnadoloved the Pac/Buddy match.  They might not have gotten out of second gear but that was a damn good match.

Will Ospreay's never done anything for me. I skip him even when he goes up against wrestlers in my top ten Greatest Wrestlers of All-Time: Kazuchika Okada and Hiroshi Tanahashi.

• Like 1

Will is the Worst in the World but he's been jobbing to everybody and missed out on his push with his neck thing, COVID, and kidney infection. I was afraid he'd be shoehorned in as NJPW's Kenny replacement but I think he's shaking out as the upper-midcarder he's supposed to be. I went to the NJPW show in DC and he ate the pin in the main event. So maybe I can find a way to tolerate him, just never put the fucking IWGP on him ever again please.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2

O'Reilly is on a five year deal, has had a lot of high-profile singles stuff in the past, and is seemingly still in his physical prime. Based off the Darby win alone (without even considering what the BR win might say about his potential place on the pecking order), people should probably begin preparing themselves for the idea that this is the beginning of something rather than an outlier. 

I like him just fine, so I'm here for it. Hope some people manage to stop lumping him in solely with their feelings about some of his stablemates. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 7

I silently booed the TV when they kept referring to Kansas City while holding the show in my home town of Independence

Fortunately Dan Lambert didn't get enough mic time to opine about if Truman made the right decision to drop atomic bombs on Japan

Here I was the outlier who hated last week’s Rampage and am now the outlier who loved just about everything about tonight. Hell, Marina Shafir even got some heat and didn’t look completely out of place. It set up some fun matches for the next couple weeks and the PPV. The main event was so good and it’s because KOR went stiff shot for stiff shot with MOX. The PAC-Buddy match was so good because they’re almost the same guy and style. The only things I didn’t like are them running back so many angles (Cole-Page, Bucks-JE-Hardys, HOB-DT) and even teasing a break-up of Swerve in the Glory...UNLESS they pair Dante-Lee.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I used to be a lot more negative about the idea of this but now I'm just hoping it's a one-off.

If it's an ongoing cross-promoting relationship and he's one of the handful of names the top AEW star has expressed public interest in working (and he is), you're probably cruising for disappointment. 

• Sad 2

I dont mind the new title, but am also puzzled by its name. 

Pac and Buddy was mad fun.

Was taken aback by KOR winning the battle royal, but it ended up being a pretty good main event.

I wish they just did Page/Okada.  Unless they're inserting Cole to take the fall...which might get Page a main event on a NJPW big show down the line.

I personally don't mind Ospreay in small doses...so I'm ok with him him as a visiting NJPW talent on AEW TV.

Gonna be fun seeing Wardlow mow through those fools next week.

Am really intrigued as to the outcome of the hair match next week. 

Rosa/Shafir look like they have a better match in them, looking forward to the rematch.

Show overall was a fun watch! 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Dog said:

Has Will Ospreay degenerated that much since 5 or so years ago? Because I thought he was pretty fucking good (or at least fun to watch) then.

If you liked him 5 years ago, you'll probably like him now. Some people think he's too spotty or has goofy offense. Some people dislike him because of things other than his wrestling.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

If you liked him 5 years ago, you'll probably like him now. Some people think he's too spotty or has goofy offense.

I remember him as being a smoother Ricochet. Do we all hate Ricochet, too?